Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by psj3809 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:02 am

After having a bit of a nightmare with issue 112 not arriving, surprised how quick issue 113 has turned up. Cant scan in a picture but the front covers of an Amiga 500

Quick scan through....

Amiga 500 Collectors Guide
Planescape Torment
Mysterious gaming crash of 1977
Greatest videogame bosses
Micro Machines
Conversion Kings
Shadowfire - Looking forward to this, great game on the Speccy

Nice to see Lords of Midnight (iOS) get a review.
Must admit the issue cover which wasnt used with the boot screen disk would have been great
Next months looks good - Dragons Lair, article about platformers over the past 30 years and 3d Deathchase

First flick through, fair few articles which look good

markopoloman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 113 - Feedback Thread

Post by markopoloman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:42 pm

This is a fantastic issue full to the brim with 'my kind of thing' :D

Already read:
Amiga 500 - The best 16bit gaming machine getting some love. Great collectors guide.
Conversion Kings - brilliant stuff :D Although I still think Bombjack on the C64 was a great game.... :wink:
Minority Report Special (C16) - I really must try some of these games out! I never got into the C16 as I always saw it as HUGE backwards step from my 64....
The Micro machines article - excellent! One of the few games I played on a PS1 when we had to play around a mates house. Still stunningly addictive to this day.

Just off to read The Mysterious Crash article....

My day off too....

AND my lovely joystick and boxed Amiga games look very nice on the first 2 pages of the Amiga article :mrgreen:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm

Mine just arrived, the run of good covers has come to a shuddering halt with another dreadful machine cover! Love the Amiga but machine covers are just so poor compared to the other styles. The Micor Machine cover looked good and the Amiga boot screen was also ace.

The mag itself seems pretty decent although I have only had a quick flick through, I did notice that Moonstone goes for over £100 on ebay! really? All my Amiga stuff (100's of games) is rotting in the loft, I had Giana Sisters too, will have to get it all down and see how much its worth.

Best bosses looks good, also Steven Kelly and Shadow Fire. Look forward to having a proper read later on.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:40 pm

I will happily give you £20 for Moonstone and Giana Sisters :P

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:51 pm

gotta be careful in these topics...but another cracker :D

amiga coverage is always a win for me

and the c16 coverage is excellent..

i love reading about machines I never even seen let alone played on...

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Nice to see an Amiga article. Don't remember seeing one for yonks and as I've just worked out (yes I'm a doh!) how to get an Amiga emulator working on my PC it's come at the right time as I've been playing loads of Amiga games recently! I've got a real one but trusting save games to old 3.5inch discs is something I'm not willing to leave to luck!

I'm not being an arse lick but getting a new 'Retro Gamer' mag is almost like when I used to see the new edition of 'Crash' on the newsagent's shelf back in the 80s!

Keep up the good work.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

merman

Post by merman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Great range of articles yet again. Damien's Amiga guide was great, loved the selection of games in Rory's Minority Report on the C16 and kudos to Martyn for the very interesting last two pages of the Shadowfire article...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Great issue from what I've read so far. :D

Really like the conversions article and the collectors guide to the Amiga A500. I had an A500 from 1994 to 1996, mine was the A500+ though which had 1 MB of RAM rather than the A500's 512K.

Is the A500 easier to source than the A500+?

If you have an A500, is the only way to run software via floppy disk or are modern workaround's available? The reason why I ask is because I've seen a guy on YouTube who has a special cartridge for the Commodore 64 that emulates a floppy disk. He can put his games on to an SD card which goes into the cartridge. Is that possible on the Amiga machines?

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Just in from work and my copy was waiting for me. I've literally only had a few seconds perusal, but I had to post just because of the front.

My first impression was, finally a good cover. The recent ones have pretty rubbish (only my opinion). The Amiga cover is awesome. Ironially, I found myself wishing I'd bought this month's issue in Menzies (Smith's), just so I could stand at the counter with an Amiga mag in my hand :D. It's been so long.

Recently, the features have been great and look to continue to be.

Great stuff.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

RocketRanger

Post by RocketRanger » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 pm

Am I dreaming or did Retro Gamer already do a Micro Machines feature not that long ago? There is no way in hell that Micro Maniacs came out in 2001 as I had worked as a developer for Codemasters and left by 2001 and the game had been done and dusted before I even started working for them (I even had a few months working with the team that produced that game on a failed snowboarding title)

Otherwise a fine magazine obviously..

I had a big box Amstrad release of Shadowfire that was an ok port..no mention of the CPC version in the magazine of course (the forum would scream bloody murder at you for being CPC biased again by refusing to deny the computers existence, I know that) but a footnote would have been nice for reference. Also no love for the CPC+ version of Pang? its the only decent game on the system.

Otherwise a fine magazine obviously...

No mention of ZeeWolf in the Amiga article? I'll stop now

a fine magazine though..well done

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 pm

The 2001 is obviously a typo. Good spot.
We did a making of Micro Machines in issue 79, which was just under three years ago. I thought there had been more than enough time to look back at the entire series this time.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Absolute revelation that Match Point was a conversion..... :shock:

I think this might be the original....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TI-99-4A-MICRO- ... 5aecd27342

Maybe its about time for a feature on the texas range of computers as there seems to be some decent games on it...didnt even know that there had been an official conversion of Donkey Kong :?:

martyg

Post by martyg » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 pm

markopoloman wrote:This is a fantastic issue full to the brim with 'my kind of thing' :D
Just off to read The Mysterious Crash article....
Let me know how you like it. Hopefully it clears up some of the misconceptions and the timeframe (hint: it wasn't in '77).
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 am

Great issue, the cover looks great !
I loved the Kokotoni Wilf article, I never realized it was Elites first release. I bought it back in the day and loved it, I still do a great hidden gem. I also never realized Match Point was a revelation, looking forward to reading it in a bit more depth.
"Time fades even legend..."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:46 am

ZXSabreman wrote:Great issue, the cover looks great !
I loved the Kokotoni Wilf article, I never realized it was Elites first release. I bought it back in the day and loved it, I still do a great hidden gem. I also never realized Match Point was a revelation, looking forward to reading it in a bit more depth.
Yeah i think thats a classic game, never played it much originally, not until 'Soft Aid' came out in i think 1984 and that was one of the best games on it, nice little platformer.

Love Match Point, considering how old it is i think it stands the test of time on the Speccy, used to play that a lot on the hardest level, used to have some great rallies and matches. Amazing considering i think thats from 1983