From the forum issue 114 Platformers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spacepatrol

Re: From the forum issue 114 Platformers

Post by Spacepatrol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Probably a little bit modern for most readers, but for me original 'Jak and Daxter' is the best looking most fun platform of all time and about the only game I have seen through to 100% completion. Just need to get a new PS3 so I can grab the HD trilogy!

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I have to go with manic miner on speccy, and bubble bobble on amiga.
I got stuck on 'the vats' for sooooooo long but i just kept going back, it was like some sick masochistic thing.
yes i have a sig.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am

I'm still fond of my first arcade platformer I've played, Jump Bug, the first scrolling platform game.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:58 am

I think your above posts highlights just how varied conceptions of platformers are. Jump Bug feels more like a shooter than a scrolling platformer (like Moon Patrol). We'll certainly mention it, but I'd argue the Pitfall was far more important.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:18 pm

I couldn't remember the game's title, just the bouncing car, after searching I found the info on KLOV, it's named under the genre 'platform game'. KLOV are pretty much always spot on. (or it's their opinion, you decide)

4am

Post by 4am » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:29 pm

I haven't had the opportunity to wade through the thread but for me it was Bongo on the Vic 20 (which I thought required an 8k expansion, although the aforementioned link states 16k). Never got close to finishing it though!

Either that or The Perils of Willy, Software Projects' compromise of JSW also on the Vic. Which, bizarrely, employed a 16-bar loop from Stairway To Heaven as its background track - and boy, did that get on your t*ts after a while.

Two great titles that still stand up today (welll... as far as 8-bit platformers go, at least).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:10 pm

kleinemaus wrote:I couldn't remember the game's title, just the bouncing car, after searching I found the info on KLOV, it's named under the genre 'platform game'. KLOV are pretty much always spot on. (or it's their opinion, you decide)
I'll believe my own eyes rather than what a website says. It certainly has platform elements, but it looks like a shooter to me. The very fact that you can't make progress without killing things is testament to that. It's a curious oddity though and is certainly worth of inclusion.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am

It's amazing how varied Platformers are, and how far the genre stretches. Much like RPGs, and games with RPG elements.

I'd even argue the gamegadget is a platform game. It is a game platform, and every time I see it I want to jump on it :wink:

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 am

Prince of Persia on the SNES. If this game can be classed as a platform game :-)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:40 pm

Sigh.. the usually shockingly predictable and crap answers from certain people.. Chuckie Egg.. Manic Miner??? Jesus. I think some some people here haven't played any games since they were a spotty oik, keeping the past in some sort of ludicrously rose tinted protective bubble in their mind. Anyone would think no decent games have been released since 1985 judging by the majority of comments on this forum.

Aside from the standard answers of the entire 2D Mario games I would say the best platformers are:

Spelunky (PC / XBLA)
Castlevania SOTN (Psx)
Wonder Boy (arcade)
Super Frog (amiga)
Fez (XBLA)
Bit.Trip Runner (wii / PC)
Shinobi (arcade)
Rick Dangerous (amiga)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
Rainbow Islands (arcade)
Bomb Jack (arcade)

and loads of others that escape my memory right now.

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:07 pm

There were some great platform games on the Spectrum, but my favourite, despite all those great ones (JSW, Monty Mole, Dynamite Dan) was the budget release of Fahrenheit 3000, which I finally completed a year or two ago.

dubchaser

Post by dubchaser » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

I've always had a soft spot for Game Boy platformers, Super Hunchback and Fortress of Fear spring to mind.
Dedicated to the Atari Lynx, Jaguar and Jaguar CD:
www.retrosprite.co.uk

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

ChipTune wrote:Sigh.. the usually shockingly predictable and crap answers from certain people.. Chuckie Egg.. Manic Miner??? Jesus. I think some some people here haven't played any games since they were a spotty oik, keeping the past in some sort of ludicrously rose tinted protective bubble in their mind. Anyone would think no decent games have been released since 1985 judging by the majority of comments on this forum.

Aside from the standard answers of the entire 2D Mario games I would say the best platformers are:

Spelunky (PC / XBLA)
Castlevania SOTN (Psx)
Wonder Boy (arcade)
Super Frog (amiga)
Fez (XBLA)
Bit.Trip Runner (wii / PC)
Shinobi (arcade)
Rick Dangerous (amiga)
Gargoyle's Quest 2 (NES)
Rainbow Islands (arcade)
Bomb Jack (arcade)

Rick Dangerous? Frustrating deaths and trial and error gameplay?

I'll stick to Chuckie Egg thanks 8)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:39 pm

@ Chiptune:

Can I assume other people are not supposed to say what their personal favorite game is, and instead lie and name something you like? Maybe, for once, you could come in with a positive slant like 'not a fan of the old classics, but prefer........'

Maybe, just maybe you'll be you would then gain more favorable responses in general? Actually, if you look at the other threads in the gaming section you'll find plenty of amazing platformers listed in the various threads (8-bit platformers, 16-bit platformers, 32-bit platformers and current gen platformers).......
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:48 am

ChipTune wrote:Sigh.. the usually shockingly predictable and crap answers from certain people.. Chuckie Egg.. Manic Miner??? Jesus. I think some some people here haven't played any games since they were a spotty oik, keeping the past in some sort of ludicrously rose tinted protective bubble in their mind. Anyone would think no decent games have been released since 1985 judging by the majority of comments on this forum.

people are allowed to have their own opinion which does not need to be aprovved by the almighty chiptune
i know that sounds odd but it might be a good idea to wrap your head around
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !