From the forum issue 114 Platformers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Re: From the forum issue 114 Platformers

Post by dste » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I would have to go for Super Mario World as I still play it yearly and still love finding all 96 exits and the Star Road.

For me it never gets tiresome and is still enjoyable to this day.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Megamixer wrote:For a more modern choice, Spyro the Dragon. It's a tough call between the original and the first sequel but I have fond memories of the first game's music and levels. Sure, there was nothing revolutionary about it but it had charm, a polished design and an ace Stuart Copeland soundtrack. Much better than today's Skylanders incarnation of Spyro.
that skylanders thing is not spyro

i hate detest loath platformers i lump them with fps games and rts games genres i hate the most
but spyro 1 and 2 are one of the few platformers i genuinley like
i think i prefer spyro 2 over the orginal but both are great games
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:59 pm

Turrican on the Amiga all the way, even if there's more than platforming... exploring deep caves or wide pools, searching for hidden places, with great graphics and Chris Huelsbeck's fantastic music. T2 the best of the three.

Honourable mentions to Superfrog, Switchblade 2 and Core Design's Wolfchild, again on the Amiga.

On the 64, Turrican I and II were great too, with Giana Sisters, Mayhem in Monsterland and Creatures on top.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 pm

How do you define platformer? I think the Jumpman games are cool, but you can't jump.

Impossible Mission on the C= 64 wins this bigtime of course.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:11 pm

I love platformers - one of my fave types of game :D

C64 - Blagger was a really good Manic Miner rip off (harder though!), Monty on the Run = awesome platformer and made even better by Mr Hubbards toe tapping mUsic! But for sheer Platforming goodness it had to be Jumpman & Jumpman Jnr. I could play those till the cows (or horses) come home.

Amiga - Fire & Ice is way up there and so is Zool (don't care what the rest of you say - it was a great game!) but my No1 Platformer on the Amiga is SUPERFROG. I had played Sonic and liked it, but not enough to want a Megadrivel - I'd played Mario and disliked it, so didn't want a snes.... Superfrog on the other hand made an effort to look good and play a game you needed a brain for.

Best cross format platformer - Chuckie Egg :D Did an 8-bit comparison for this and it was brilliant on every system (even the Dragon 32) :shock: :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:16 am

This is a great question! And a tricky one as Platform game is one that can cross definitions. I'd say Flashback! :wink: Although I still play Donkey Kong and DK Jnr to death on the jamma cab

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 am

Either Superfrog, Turrican II, or The Great Giana Sisters on the Amiga, or Impossible Mission on the C64.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 am

Manic Miner, without a doubt. Others have come and gone, but that's the one I keep returning too. Lovely balance of precise control, timing, and increasing difficulty that's still playable 30 years on.

Spyro the Dragon is a good game - I prefer the first one for the roll-sideways move which was sadly lacking from later games. And since that leads to platform-adventures, Abe's Oddysee is stunning for its art and story. Mario 64 was incredible for its time, but has since been put in its place by Mario Galaxy.

Back to arcadey platformers, and Rainbow Islands is the one for me. Bright graphics, excellent music and fun to play. I quite enjoyed the ST port of The New Zealand Story as it was the first 16-bit game I bought, though later levels just frustrate. The Blues Brothers was a slightly obscure title that's OK, but most notable for the ultimate in cool tie-ins. And of course Chuckie Egg is a classic.

I like the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the MegaDrive (and Sonic II on the Master System) and think he should never have gone 3D. Conversely, I can't stand any of the earlier 2D Mario games - I think they really found their feet in 3D. Apart from that, I don't recall another 16-bit platformer that wasn't trying too hard to be something else (and failing).

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:59 am

Bounty Bob Strikes Back on the Atari. Love it and still play it today. Always reminds me of my mum as it was her favorite game too. Other faves have to be An Other World on PC and Wild Strawberries on the Atari 400.
Last edited by bounty bob on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am

The Megaman series without a doubt.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm

NorthWay wrote:How do you define platformer? I think the Jumpman games are cool, but you can't jump.

Impossible Mission on the C= 64 wins this bigtime of course.
The term 'platform and ladders' game was coined in the early 80s by Electronic Games magazine for the game Space Panic (1980). Chris Crawford states that indeed Space Panic was the very first 'platform' game. Jumping in a platform and ladders game is not a necessity.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 pm

joefish wrote:Spyro the Dragon is a good game - I prefer the first one for the roll-sideways move which was sadly lacking from later games.
Loved the roll move. I can only assume it removed because it made dodging projectile attacks too easy. The first game has the strongest nostalgia for me but equally, I remember getting the sequel when it first came out and being blown away by the swimming and climbing ladders.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Megamixer wrote:Loved the roll move. I can only assume it removed because it made dodging projectile attacks too easy.
Maybe, but that stinks of lazy game design. Someone's just lobbed a fireball at me! Oh no! I hope I can turn to the side and then walk forward in time to avoid it...

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 pm

For me its Skull Monkeys on PS1. Beautiful smooth claymation, imaginative game play and who can resist a game where there's a button to make the Main character fart through his head =D
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

lebopski

Post by lebopski » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:02 pm

For sheer wow factor I'd have to go with Castle of Illusion. After years of Speccy 48k hammering, seeing the leaves and spiders level for the first time on chrimbo morning was a revelation!!

Or maybe Jack the Nipper 2. Twenty six years later I can still hum the little soundbite when you collected the honey.