Worst Games Ever Made

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SpykeXD

Worst Games Ever Made

Post by SpykeXD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:06 am

I seem to have a thing for bad games and was just wondering if you guys have any plans to do an article on famously bad games. I know there's a lot of them out there, but hearing people's reactions to terrible games almost always is hilarious (Seanbaby from an American magazine called Electronic Gaming Monthly and a website called 1-Up.com always wrote articles on this particular subject).
If you can read this, you're too close to the screen

This is not the greatest and best signature in the world, this is only a tribute.

Like emulators? Join my Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retro4life

kleinemaus

Re: Worst Games Ever Made

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:25 am

Retro Gamer already has a feature called Retro Shamer every so often. In issue 112 the 'bad' game is Back to the Future II on SMS.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:45 pm

For easy access to some of the worst games ever made just log into the XBOX Live Indie Channel. Hey Presto, a sh1t mountain of miserable detritus made by imbeciles.

SpykeXD

Post by SpykeXD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:59 pm

ChipTune wrote:For easy access to some of the worst games ever made just log into the XBOX Live Indie Channel. Hey Presto, a sh1t mountain of miserable detritus made by imbeciles.
Seems to be the same with the App Store. There's a ton of crappy games on there. I had to find a blog/website/app/thing called Touch Arcade to find any good games.
If you can read this, you're too close to the screen

This is not the greatest and best signature in the world, this is only a tribute.

Like emulators? Join my Steam group! http://steamcommunity.com/groups/retro4life

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:12 pm

its a good question, to really go back and think of games that offered *nothing*, that were painful to play, an absolute chore. Its funny, I seem to have kinda repressed the really bad ones, i cant recall ths shockers all that easily.. I think The Flintstones in the Amiga was just horrible, I remember switching off the system in disgust after a section of having to paint the wall, that was just awful... i'm sure many more will flood back but that one comes to mind initially.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:19 pm

SpykeXD wrote:
ChipTune wrote:For easy access to some of the worst games ever made just log into the XBOX Live Indie Channel. Hey Presto, a sh1t mountain of miserable detritus made by imbeciles.
Seems to be the same with the App Store. There's a ton of crappy games on there. I had to find a blog/website/app/thing called Touch Arcade to find any good games.
Ditto for Google Play. Still, all three are pretty much open to the work of rank amateurs so it's hardly surprising that 99% of what's on them is crap.

In general though, when most people think of the worst games they tend to think of horribly overhyped ones or badly misconceived licensing deals that still managed to get as far as a boxed release. They might not really be as bad as some of the filler on the above systems, or in the murkier corners of the back catalogues of the 8-bit micros, but they're generally a lot more fun to talk about.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:43 pm

I always enjoy "worst of" articles, but would be interesting to see ones that weren't filled with the usual suspects such as ET or 2600 Pac Man

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat May 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Negative Creep wrote:I always enjoy "worst of" articles, but would be interesting to see ones that weren't filled with the usual suspects such as ET or 2600 Pac Man
Yeah, the trilogy of crap that gets the most flack seem to be 2600 ET & Pac Man, and N64 Superman64. The were awful of course, but get the most attention due to being such big names and with such high sales expectations when they emerged and were so bad, they became the stuff of legend! :lol:
There's bound to be more over the years that were quietly released, awful, then quietly sunk again with a bad review wrapped around it and never remembered!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 05, 2013 5:28 am

Superman on the 2600 was a far, far worse game than either Pacman or ET.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

CranberrySeeder

Post by CranberrySeeder » Sat May 18, 2013 3:12 pm

no ET was the worst game ever...Trust me.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Sun May 19, 2013 7:17 am

If you think ET is the worst game... you haven't played many 2600 games ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 am

CranberrySeeder wrote:no ET was the worst game ever...Trust me.

Try Krazy Kong or Squij on the Spectrum. I would normally say play, but that is (almost) impossible to do. Honestly tell me that either is better than ET?

As for the 2600, yes there are a number of turkeys, but all machines have those. Superman is a particularly poor game for the machine, and again far worse than ET.

ET is basically another variant on Raiders. Yes, it can be dificult to get into, initially baffling and often frustarting. Persevere and there is playability in there. I'm not for one minute saying it's a great game - or even an average one. It is (in my opinion) just a below average game for the machine.

What was really criminal was choosing ET as the game to choose as licence. Rocky II and III, Wrath of Khan, First Blood, Firefox and Conan were all released the same year, but bizarrely they chose the license least likely to convert to a game; they may as well have tried to make a game based around Tootsie.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sun May 19, 2013 4:50 pm

E.T. is alright, really. I got lots of enjoyment out of it, back in the day. If you consider the circumstances around its making, though, it's an almost miraculous achievement!

Now, if you were to consider Intergalactic Cage Match on the Commodore 64... THERE'S a bad game.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun May 19, 2013 5:04 pm

picking on ET is just plain bullying in my opinion. The 2600 - lets be fair - had a lot of games that were below average. It was (is) a damn hard system to program for, and programmers were still learning their chops on the thing - after all it was very early days in the gaming world.

There were many, many worse games, on systems that were far more capable and the programming was just terrible. Lots of C64 games I can remember when even figuring out how the move the avatar took ages, or would barely even move at all, wouldnt fire properly, etc. You'd even buy a new joystick thinking it was a faulty joystick! THESE are the sorts of games to rip into, not the poor old 2600 which cops far too much flak in my opinion. Magazines like GamesTM rip on them all the time with their Conversion Catasrophe, but thats just p***weak journalism in my opinion, just like bullying the weakest kid in school, too damn easy.

The Flinstones was a shocker on the Amiga. Painting the bloody wall.. oh my god.. then try to work out how to bowl, simply impossible. Double Dragon on the C64.. you could see through the sprites! Unbelievable.. like they were sliced through the torso with a Japanese sword.. and not to mention the game, that was my favouritsest of favourite games ever at the time, and I even bought the original with my hard earned and never played it for more than 15 minutes. It was horrendous. I think I cried for about 2 months straight and didnt go to school after that.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat May 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Superman 64 always gets such a slating (and rightly so by the looks of it) but did anybody here actually buy/receive it when it was new? I'm constantly hearing the rage/hate for it but rarely see anybody mention that they were unlucky enough to shell out for it back in the day.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.