From the Forum issue 113 Amiga

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: From the Forum issue 113 Amiga

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:41 pm

nakamura wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm looking through the completed collector's guide now. I'm regretting selling all my stuff now :(
Err no you aren't. I can't remember the last time you even mentioned the machine. In fact, you sold a mint SNES lot to buy it and then regretted it! If you bought an Amiga today you would use it for about a week. :p
Ha! The truth from a family member :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

quantum

Post by quantum » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:31 am

There really are too many good games to just pick one, but if pushed probably a multi-player game. SWOS? KO2? Speedball 2? Hired Guns? :mrgreen:

How about a game screenshot quiz? Amiga, DOS, Megadrive and Commodore 64.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:15 pm

Teenage Queen loved that game

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:18 pm

markopoloman wrote:
nakamura wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm looking through the completed collector's guide now. I'm regretting selling all my stuff now :(
Err no you aren't. I can't remember the last time you even mentioned the machine. In fact, you sold a mint SNES lot to buy it and then regretted it! If you bought an Amiga today you would use it for about a week. :p
Ha! The truth from a family member :lol:
Too funny! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Nakamura. Banned :P

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:26 am

I am seriously shocked that nobody mentioned Agony . The game oozed style, and being an exclusive to Amiga, I assumed more people would have mentioned it, being a Psygnosis game as well.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 am

I've only played 1 game on an Amiga. Sensible Soccer.
Absolutely blew me away. So much so that I planned to sell my Megadrive collection and buy an Amiga.
By the time I'd saved up (not nearly enough) it had been released for the Megadrive.
So I didn't bother.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Apidya, one of my faves shoot-em-up, great game

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:01 pm

I can't choose one! Here's my 5 fav's in no particular order:

1. Dungeon Master - FTL - The first 16 bit game I seriously sat down and played, and played, and played! Seriously addictive and one that has kept it's brilliant playability over the years. I've just started playing it again and it's still kept me glued to the (emulated! I'm not trusting those 3.5 inch discs with a save game file) Amiga.

2. Typhoon Thompson - Broderbund - A mouse controlled, bizarre little game about rescuing 'sea children'. Contains some of the best and most intricate pixel animation I've ever seen. Similar to? Nothing else!

3. Battle Squadron / Hybris - EA / Discovery - 2 of the best shoot 'em ups I've ever played with 2 of the greatest game soundtracks ever! When I hear these games I'm instantly transported back in time 20 years! Still brilliant and deviously laid out baddy formations make these 2 games that will forever be having games players swearing at the screen and having 'just one more go'.

4. Turrican 2 - Rainbow Arts - Classic title, classic soundtrack, classic weapons and power ups, classic game play.

5. Populous - Bullfrog - Another game I put some serious hours in to. All my mates loved it, the sound fx were brill, the game was amazing. After buying this I'd found the next company who took the place of the long gone 'Ultimate',who had been my Spectrum gods a few years before.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 am

Since the Amiga is my most favorite gaming system of all time, this is a very tough question but I'll go with the run-and-gun awesomeness of THE CHAOS ENGINE!
Other favorites are: MONKEY ISLAND, PINBALL DREAMS, SUPER CARS, SPEEDBALL 2, FLASHBACK, SWIV, TURRICAN 2, JAGUAR XJ220. Man, I could go on all day! :D :D :D

A M I G A F O R E V E R !!!

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 am

so many good games, and for a change, most of the excellent games originate from Europe

skinny

Post by skinny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:11 pm

Never had one personally, but a friend's brother had one and it was the first place I saw Microprose F1GP, so I'd have to say that. The first step (if I don't count Revs!) of an incredible series.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:31 pm

samhain81 wrote:I am seriously shocked that nobody mentioned Agony .
What, no-one? Really? You checked thoroughly? I mean, that would be... Well, I just can't imagine. :roll: :lol:

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:19 pm

some great choices so far and just shows what an awesome games machine the mighty Amiga was

PaulGT4RC

Post by PaulGT4RC » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:06 pm

I loved my A500.. I was blessed with the Batman Pack.. ill never forget hearing the title music when I loaded it up.. it had speech!

But to choose a fav game, that is a tall ask as so many games captivated me for hours.

If I were to choose one Id say Turrican 2. A great arcade run 'n' gun, wonderful animation, awesome intro (a rarity back then) and some astounding music.. and it was tough.. 10 long levels, the game seemed to take an age to complete, even with cheats!

Lifted this from Wiki:
The music to Turrican II is widely regarded as one of Huelsbeck's best compositions, and it was performed live by an orchestra at the second Symphonic Game Music Concert in 2004.

In fact the Amiga version had the option to play each levels music, a feature usually reserved for console owners.. what a treat!

:D