From the Forum issue 113 Amiga

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Gordon Bennett

Re: From the Forum issue 113 Amiga

Post by Gordon Bennett » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:35 pm

Damocles. There was a whole solar system there to explore filled with hidden details to discover. Glorious.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:38 pm

It has to be SWOS really, I don't think any footy game will ever be remembered or loved like Sensi.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Top games for the Amiga A500 are :-

Populous I & II
First Samurai
Historyline 1914-1918
Civilization
Monkey Island 1 and 2(the second one requires a hard disk in my opinion :lol: )
Lemmings
Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
Knights of the Sky
Rainbow Islands
Parasol Stars
Harlequin
Chaos Engine
Heimdall 1 and 2
Captive
F19 Stealth Fighter
F29 Retaliator
F18 Interceptor

Don't forget to include Deluxe Paint in its many guises as well. :wink:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:
Thinking back the Amiga is a truly superb gaming computer

To be shouted in the style of 100 MPs

"here here"

whilst waving copies of retro gamer in the air.......

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 am

Sensible World of Soccer! The Amiga is the home to the definitive version of Sensible Soccer and it plays such a great game of football - easy to play but difficult to master. It's enhanced with real teams/player names and a full career mode.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:26 am

Some amazing games on the Amiga no doubt. Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Switchblade 2 and Moonstone just some of the best.

I have to mention Speedball 2 though. It's just a load of rubbish. Horrendously limited gameplay mixed with fantastic visuals did nothing for me. I remember wanting to love it and repeatedly starting a season but being bored by the second or third matches.

Sensible Soccer for me. Still plays well today and was the king of Amiga games in 1992.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:23 pm

ZXSabreman wrote: To be shouted in the style of 100 MPs
"here here"
Those MPs are calling 'Hear, hear!', to imply one should listen to what was just said. Which is what you need to do too... :lol:

Favourite Amiga game? Lotus Turbo Challenge 2, not just for the great slick and responsive racing or split-screen two-player mode, but the ability to link up to another Amiga or ST for four-player races.

Mention must also go to Thalion's highly playable vertical shoot-em-up Wings of Death, though that was more remarkable for pushing technology on the ST version. Similarly, the platform'n'swords action of Leander, and open-world 3D adventures Hunter and Damocles - little separates them between platforms. Art & Magic's Agony, developed for Psygnosis solely for the Amiga, was a decent shooter but particularly notable for its absolutely stunning 2D parallax landscapes.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm looking through the completed collector's guide now. I'm regretting selling all my stuff now :(

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:56 pm

Glad that Damocles has been mentioned. Anyone who squeezes an entire solar system to explore in a 880k floppy disk is a genius to me. Still hoping RG someday interviews Paul Woakes... :)

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:57 pm

I had a Spectrum 128 at the time (before emracing consoles forever via the Sega Megadrive), so I could only gasp in wonder at screenshots of Amiga games in magazines of the time. So it's all of them, really.
Eat my boomstick

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:28 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm looking through the completed collector's guide now. I'm regretting selling all my stuff now :(
Sell the Atari Lynx and get the Amiga stuff back, you know you want to, you know it makes sense... :wink:

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm looking through the completed collector's guide now. I'm regretting selling all my stuff now :(
I think most of us are in this category, thinking back what I have had in gaming terms since the early eighties kills me, if only I had thought to myself I ought to keep this as one day I might regret selling it. That is why I love Retro Gamer and hate it(in a nice way) all in the same breath, all it does is remind me what I had and how stupid I have been over the years selling it.
I remember selling my entire Saturn collection back in about 2002, roughly 80 odd mint games including all the rare pal ones(mint Panzer dragoon Saga etc), plus loads of accessories for £150
"Time fades even legend..."

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

joefish wrote:
ZXSabreman wrote: To be shouted in the style of 100 MPs
"here here"
Those MPs are calling 'Hear, hear!', to imply one should listen to what was just said. Which is what you need to do too... :lol:

Apologies.

Phonetically correct, but the spelling let me down. I have arranged for myself to be taken to the back of the woods and shot. :roll:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:15 pm

Even though I was always terrible at it, Frontier used to take up a lot of my time.....especially when I had my a1200

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Err no you aren't. I can't remember the last time you even mentioned the machine. In fact, you sold a mint SNES lot to buy it and then regretted it! If you bought an Amiga today you would use it for about a week. :p
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)