Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by merman » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:25 am

NES Max wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Also nice to see Iain Lee and Paul Davies back.
What? I just resubbed today and my last RG issue was the one with the EA cover... Why didn't the Lee/Davies columns appear in the last (or last few) issues? Lack of interest? I hope not, as they are the two articles I look forward to the most each month. They really hit the "heartfelt nostalgia" sweetspot for me. In an age of constant cynism/sarcasm, they are a breath of fresh air.
Space and time restraints meant there were no columns in issue 111, but as has been noted they are back in 112.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:27 am

crusto wrote:This issue? Found it to be totally meh if I'm honest. I found the MD article to be a total flop, strange considering how much I love the console. Maybe I should read it all again when I'm in a better mood. Or maybe I'm just getting censored bored with RG.

Edit: and it's reassuring to see how the ed is ready to post on this thread, yet can't respond to pm's about how broken the forum is at the mo, classy. Good to see how this place ticks.
I've been off with a sprained shoulder for just under a week, so haven't been on the forum at all. I've since managed to put something up about the forum issues. Sorry but I've had more important things on my mind, like being in constant pain. As long as you get what you want though...

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:42 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
crusto wrote:This issue? Found it to be totally meh if I'm honest. I found the MD article to be a total flop, strange considering how much I love the console. Maybe I should read it all again when I'm in a better mood. Or maybe I'm just getting censored bored with RG.

Edit: and it's reassuring to see how the ed is ready to post on this thread, yet can't respond to pm's about how broken the forum is at the mo, classy. Good to see how this place ticks.
I've been off with a sprained shoulder for just under a week, so haven't been on the forum at all. I've since managed to put something up about the forum issues. Sorry but I've had more important things on my mind, like being in constant pain. As long as you get what you want though...
Ignore me, I'm just a misery and was having a bad day, soz. Good luck with the pain, Ive a wealth of experience in that field.

Eat your nans pants

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:50 pm

crusto, in your interests you mention tramadol, ibuprofen and a host of other things, just tramadol *alone* will completely mess you up after a time.. i empathise with you because getting off that stuff alone becomes a trial, makes scrambled eggs of your brain as well as stop helping with pain over time.

just thought i'd mention it because ibuprofen + tramadol is a BAD combination, trust me. took me through hell.. kinda serious.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:24 pm

Initially I thought that there was nothing much in this issue would interest me but after a good read about the making of Rex, the Special Fx feature & the Sid Meier article, I have changed my mind completely. However, the collectors guide is frankly pants tbh. I think it's the way its presented & the overall layout of the article which just appears to be really uninteresting.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:06 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:Retro Gamer at Waterloo Smiths update: still not there.
You must have just missed it being put out. I noticed several copies in the larger Waterloo Smiths at 5.30-6pm on Thursday.

Alternatively, you can buy it in Charing Cross. I picked it up from there on Wednesday morning.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Bought my copy today and personally loving the issue.

So many articles that interest me, to the extent that I'm selectively reading it, saving the articles I'm looking forward to the most until last. I'm especially pleased to see the Chaos article as its one of my favourite games of all time, (certainly my favourite Spectrum game).

Just a shame the Chaos cover wasn't chosen; if it had, I'd have probably bought 2 copies of the mag and framed one of the covers, (yes, I love the game THAT much)!

I realise I'm probably in the minority, but I enjoyed the Megadrive article too. Being a SNES owner at the time, I only played friends' Megadrives back in the day, (apart from the time I beat Dominik Diamond at NHLPA Hockey at the Virgin Megastore in Birmingham). I own one these days though, (a Megadrive, not a Dominik Diamond!), and am gradually building a collection of games. As such, the article is an interesting read for a relative novice to the Megadrive.

Looking forward to the Sid Meier article as well, having played every version of Civilization since it first came out!

Anyway, great issue - keep up the good work!

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:50 am

Just started to read the issue 112.
Good article on the Kickstarter projects, whilst Elite was well known worldwide (it also being on A][ and NES), and Peter Molyneux is also an important video game designer, I wonder, did the Oliver Twins really think a Dizzy game would be possible via Kickstart?. It was an unknown game series (worldwide) only popular on Spectrum and at most average on other platforms like C64.

Iain Lee should play Duckie Egg on Jaguar, a homebrew very close to the original. Chuckie Egg is good (a very good A8 version too), but Miner 2049er or Bounty Bob are better, so I'd argue with Iain to disagree (Chuckie Egg is clearly a copy of Miner 2049er, putting the Chuckie Egg designer (and Matthew Smith) up there with Miyamoto is stretching it a bit. Bill Hogue on the other hand.....). Btw, Matthew Smith also stated in Retro Gamer that his Manic Miner was a Miner 2049er clone.

Back to the 80s was good, but the 80s page is always a good read, loved the VCS charts (Dragster number 1, yeah), the gorgeous Kim Wilde in the music charts (didn't she end up writing Retro Gamer articles? Oh wait, different Kim).
Back to the 90s, equally good.
Rex, looks a good Spectrum game, gonna read it later (Spectrum stuff always gets read last when all the really good stuff was done reading)

Special FX, gonna carry on reading at work, that's as far as I got.......

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:20 am

I'd say a Dizzy game might have been possible, but not a total series reimagining that required such a colossal sum of money. Around the same time as the Dizzy Kickstarter, an indie was trying to find something similar for a few grand—quite a few people started pushing his game over the Olivers’ one, and he made it. Sadly, I think quite a few old devs over-estimate their brand impact—Pro Pinball also found this when trying to do a Kickstarter.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:19 pm

I have a deep love of the Speccy, so there was much to enjoy for me. Great issue chaps.
Eat my boomstick

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:22 pm

knight_beat wrote:
RitmanRovers wrote:Retro Gamer at Waterloo Smiths update: still not there.
You must have just missed it being put out. I noticed several copies in the larger Waterloo Smiths at 5.30-6pm on Thursday.

Alternatively, you can buy it in Charing Cross. I picked it up from there on Wednesday morning.
It appeared on the 1st, which apparently is typical. But I've just noticed it stocked in my local Tesco aircraft hangar for the first time, which is good to see.
Eat my boomstick

Achilles

Post by Achilles » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

Having recently purchased a MEGA CD1, that i am currently, painstakingly, replacing all the capacitors on in an attempt to get the bloody thing working again properly, i would like to have seen more coverage of it in the Megadrive section.

Granted the majority of games on it are....well....a bit naff, the thing looks so dam cool sitting underneath my Megadrive 1 it gives the PC-Engine & CDROM2 a run for its money in that dept. Certainly deserved more of a mention. Hopefully Darren and the guys will put something in a future issue.

Overall though another great issue guys!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:24 pm

It seems that after 12 odd entries, most people still don't appear to understand what the Collector's Guide actually is.

It's an introduction to a console, purely from a collector's point of view. It doesn't care about the system's history, it doesn't care about good games or bad games, it's about why the machine is collectible and what you should be considering to get for it. There's more than enough stuff for a seperate collector's guide devoted to the Mega CD, which is why it's not covered here.
Personal opinion will also appear in these features, because collecting is a deeply personal thing. Regardless of how many good EA games that might be on the system, they're a blight from a collector's viewpoint. I discovered the same sort of issue when I was collecting for the Dreamcast, you start looking at games in a completely different way.

If the Collector's Guide was a historical document concerned with explaining the history of the machine, then yes there would be issues with it. But it's not. That's why we have retroinspections.
So please understand the article and what it's actually doing before you address criticisms that aren't relevant to it. The guys put a lot of work into these, so it's somewhat depressing to see so many people can't make the distinction between fact and opinion (which can both exist in a magazine like ~Retro Gamer, hell it already exists).

If there are factual errors I'll of course chase them up with the parties involved, but that's usually not the case.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Fair enough but, dismissing the factual errors for the moment, shouldn't a collectors guide tell you about things like:

- Hardware revisions
- Controllers
- Most sought after games
- Compatibility problems
- What to look for when buying a system

This guide didn't mention the differences between the 3 major hardware revisions, of which there are plenty. It failed to mention the 6-button controller or that you need it for certain games such as Street Fighter II, Comix Zone and Motal Kombat 3. There was no mention of the Mega Drive's holy grail of Tetris or stuff like Eliminate Down and Panorama Cotton instead choosing to mention more common games like The Punisher. It also didn't mention the PAL holy grail either - World Championship Soccer 2. It would be nice to know about compatibility problems like the lock-out chip on some games or the fact that Virtua Racing does not work on the 3rd and later revisions of the console.

Instead of mentioning these things the author chose to write about pointless history like the Scorpion clone, Mario Bros 3 on the NES and the story of Joe Montana. And as you said the article is not meant to be a historical piece it's meant to be a collectors guide.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeah, this.

I found the PCE article a more interesting read tbh, that's not to say this one is particularly bad (I re-read it today). It seemed a missed opportunity, considering the quality of the subject matter.

Eat your nans pants