Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:12 am

Timothy Lumsden wrote:I think it's one of the those marmite covers - but intrigue that Craig said list covers sell more
To clarify, not necessarily for Retro Gamer, but absolutely with some of the other titles I write for and also many consumer mags. That's why you see so many covers with "the 50 best [thing]".
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:08 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:Hi,

New guy here, I've been reading R G from time to time always enjoying it, so missus (ekhm... Santa) got me a year subscription for Christmas, yay!

My inner geek noticed couple of things in latest issue. First is that Holy Hand Granade mentioned in power-ups doesn't work like regular grenade, it is much more powerful than grenade in every game in the series it appears in.

I also liked the interview with Sid Meier, he made some of my favourite games. However while Civ and Tycoons are discussed in detail but there's not a single mention of Colonization anywhere. It was a really good game at the time, had good scores in the reviews and surely I can't be the only one who played it much more than original Civ? It wasn't as well known back when it was released so perhaps you could mention it in one of your next issues, Colonization deserves a place in every retro games fan collection.

All the best and keep up with great work!
Thanks for the feedback. We'll try and ensure Colonization gets some coverage in a later issue

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:22 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Timothy Lumsden wrote:I think it's one of the those marmite covers - but intrigue that Craig said list covers sell more
To clarify, not necessarily for Retro Gamer, but absolutely with some of the other titles I write for and also many consumer mags. That's why you see so many covers with "the 50 best [thing]".
I guess the end result might be that RG wont stick out on the newstand as much as it usually does. (I liked the Civilization cover too).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:33 am

Another thing to bear in mind with sprites is that they work as multiple hits, meaning the will be more things on the cover that should catch a person's eye.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:34 am

Retro Gamer at Waterloo Smiths update: still not there.

Chances of Smiths still being there tonight currently stands at 50:50.

*Angry face*
Eat my boomstick

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:45 am

Fishsta wrote:I'm sure Hitman Halstep will disagree...

...but I had to titter at him being called "Gitman Halstep" on the letters page.

You've been outed, you git! :D
what ..? What!!!? :evil: , :lol: only joking i'm not that easily offended.

i have wondered if Darren has something against me because i have asked a few questions directed towards him in the forum since i joined,but since i have been quoted quite a few times in the mag i just assumed he had missed them.perhaps this is a sign :? :wink:

i'm expecting it to be in my local paper shop tomorrow so i'll get to see it myself when i buy it then.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:48 am

Well, it's better than adding an "s" in front of "hitman"
Eat my boomstick

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am

Hitman_HalStep wrote:
Fishsta wrote:I'm sure Hitman Halstep will disagree...

...but I had to titter at him being called "Gitman Halstep" on the letters page.

You've been outed, you git! :D
what ..? What!!!? :evil: , :lol: only joking i'm not that easily offended.

i have wondered if Darren has something against me because i have asked a few questions directed towards him in the forum since i joined,but since i have been quoted quite a few times in the mag i just assumed he had missed them.perhaps this is a sign :? :wink:

i'm expecting it to be in my local paper shop tomorrow so i'll get to see it myself when i buy it then.
I don't think you're a git Hitman. It was a genuine mistake. The sub doesn't really hang out on the forum, so she had no idea it was spelt wrong.

Darran

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:02 pm

^ it's not a problem,i also missed a line on my previous post after "since i joined" i was supposed to put "but never had a reply" but like i said i assumed they were just missed.it's not the first time my forum name was misspelt,in one of DRS's desert island interview question i was Hitman_Halpern :lol: he did acknowledge the mistake.
RitmanRovers wrote:Well, it's better than adding an "s" in front of "hitman"
i had considered that :lol:
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:33 pm

nothing will beat RetroKingSimon being called RetroKingSalmon :D :D , especially as he was really upset that he couldn't show his mates that he got in the mag!!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 pm

In RG's Mailbag letters pages a while back I found it remarkable just how many times the name 'Crunchy' was misspelled as 'Mathew Lightbourne'. :mrgreen:

Hotman Halfstep got off lightly, imho. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:36 pm

This issue? Found it to be totally meh if I'm honest. I found the MD article to be a total flop, strange considering how much I love the console. Maybe I should read it all again when I'm in a better mood. Or maybe I'm just getting censored bored with RG.

Edit: and it's reassuring to see how the ed is ready to post on this thread, yet can't respond to pm's about how broken the forum is at the mo, classy. Good to see how this place ticks.

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:46 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:In RG's Mailbag letters pages a while back I found it remarkable just how many times the name 'Crunchy' was misspelled as 'Mathew Lightbourne'. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:08 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Also nice to see Iain Lee and Paul Davies back.
What? I just resubbed today and my last RG issue was the one with the EA cover... Why didn't the Lee/Davies columns appear in the last (or last few) issues? Lack of interest? I hope not, as they are the two articles I look forward to the most each month. They really hit the "heartfelt nostalgia" sweetspot for me. In an age of constant cynism/sarcasm, they are a breath of fresh air.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:55 pm

NES Max wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Also nice to see Iain Lee and Paul Davies back.
What? I just resubbed today and my last RG issue was the one with the EA cover... Why didn't the Lee/Davies columns appear in the last (or last few) issues? Lack of interest? I hope not, as they are the two articles I look forward to the most each month. They really hit the "heartfelt nostalgia" sweetspot for me. In an age of constant cynism/sarcasm, they are a breath of fresh air.
thats the thing, the balance of RG is so good at the moment that if something is missing or out of place you notice it immediately. i also like the light-hearted chuckle you get, warms you up nicely as you get tucked into the rest of the mag. and bookended perfectly with the endgame bit at the back , just perfect. along of course with a hot cup of broth, shaggy dog nestled at the feet and a nice warm open-fire toasting to perfection some fluffy white and pink marshmallows.