Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:10 am

:lol: Just popped on after work, and seen three extra pages with no mention of the issue, quite a bit of name calling, the overuse of the word mental...and Craigs a zombie now. Dear oh dear.

Realising I was wrong to enjoy the original tutankham, and wrong to enjoy news of a homebrew version...I've just popped out to the drive and run the corolla over myself. Hope that helps :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 am

gman72 wrote:
kiwimike wrote::)
gman72 wrote:
You do have a point, albeit a controversial one on this forum i'm sure. I've actually played very few of the games covered in this section and sometimes wonder how many people actually do play many of titles reviewed.
I do however feel that the Homebrew Section does give RG a lot of character.
I would also argue I love the original Tutankham arcade machine, so am interested to know of a homebrew/remake. This is another example of the 'I don't like it so therefore it is rubbish' criticism. Opinions everyone is entitled to, of course, but it does get annoying when you continue to read in the feedback section (A minority to be fair) complaints because an issue didn't cover what they specifically like, without a moments thought that other readers may indeed like it!
Now then you've quoted my post here completely unfairly. I like the Homebrew section and read it every month and enjoy it whilst rarely playing any of the games reviewed in this section I feel it gives RG character and is interesting, I never said it is rubbish and feel you ought to read some of the posts you are quoting before including them. I only agreed with Chiptune to an extent and whilst I have moaned about what I considerd too much 8bit coverage in the past later issues have resolved this. I love RG it is the only games mag i buy and don't like to moan about its content without what i consider real reason.
Jump on some other bandwagon, mate.[/quote]

Hey there Gman, my apologies to you- I wasn't arguing with you, although quoting like that may make it appear so. I was agreeing with you, and just adding a little extra of my own view! Peace out :) My point was with the original post you were quoting- Simply suggesting something in the mag isn't a bad idea simply because an inidividual may or may not like it, and that the mag caters to such a varied readership and over so many formats- Not only formats but complete generations of gaming as well...everyone has their own idea of what should be covered, what games, systems, eras. It's repeated ad nauseum, but you can't please all the people all the time. I personally think the mag does a fantastic job of keeping the majority of readers happy. :)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 am

just finished the Jordan Mechner article, just still cant wrap my head around the fact he made Karateka at 17 whilst also grappling studies at Yale, I reckon the guy's a genius, and I dont use that term frequently. And he'd only got his computer at 14.. amazing. i was still trying to figure out why they'd made the AppleBasic manual so damn cryptic.

Very nice article, I find Mechner a real inspiration, and I'd even love to read more in-depth pieces about him and his achievements. The article mentioned a blog so i might start there, cheers to the author, great job.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:22 am

Got the last copy in Smiths the other day. Love the large 2 page splash of Rocket Knight Adventures, cracking boss, shame the article (small though it was) had one small error, there are 7 stages in the game not 6 (the 6th is the flying in space level, 7th is the space station, replay it and you'll see, the opening stage artwork gives it away also :P with the words "Stage 7" at the bottom) little niggle but hey.

The rest of the issue isn't massively important to me this month, though two of the main articles (the megadrive and sid meier bit are good and relevant to moi)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:32 am

Overall, I liked the issue but I have a question regarding the alternative covers that are shown.
Are they genuine covers or does somebody just knock them up for the sake of it?
I only ask as the chaos cover seemed to be lifted directly from the chaos feature in RG Volume 2 issue 1.
Same graphic and same title "creating chaos". Coincidence or laziness?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:06 am

stvd wrote:Overall, I liked the issue but I have a question regarding the alternative covers that are shown.
Are they genuine covers or does somebody just knock them up for the sake of it?
I only ask as the chaos cover seemed to be lifted directly from the chaos feature in RG Volume 2 issue 1.
Same graphic and same title "creating chaos". Coincidence or laziness?
They are all real covers
As for coincidence or laziness it certainly isn't the latter. You go for the most recognisable image and font. We can't help that it would have been seen 7 years ago by some of our readers :P You're quite limited with assets of old videogames (no existing artwork etc) so you'll often have to rely on repeated assets or not do the cover unfortunately.

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:11 am

Ok. Actually, reading it back, I shouldn't have said laziness. :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 pm

stvd wrote:Ok. Actually, reading it back, I shouldn't have said laziness. :D
No worries, I can completely see how it looks like we're copying something. Honestly though if I had access to have the artwork that other games magazines had we could create cracking covers. You make the best with what you have :P

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:44 pm

interesting about the covers and it being hard to get artwork. Have articles ever been dropped or not commissioned as the art wasn't available to do them?