Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RitmanRovers

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:45 am

crusto wrote:@ Darran
I know so, and I'm not the only one either. Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.
You appear to be slightly mental. That, allied with a seething undercurrent of barely-concealed jealousy and rage, makes for a tiresome - if intermittently pitifully amusing - combination.
Eat my boomstick

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:52 am

crusto wrote:For the record, I enjoy the mag too and have been a subscriber since I first saw it, around issue 5 I think. Your more than welcome to read through my posts. You will see how generally positive they are.
Fair point Crusto.

Might this be a good place for everyone to calm down and try to steer the thread back to feedback on issue 112 specifically?
Last edited by Rory Milne on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
ChipTune wrote: The worrying trend for tedious lists is a let down.. we can read this filler material on the net a thousand times over.. it is not cover worthy material! Greatest power ups, greatest bosses ... MEH!

Anyone can make a list agreed, so we always add additional content to make it better than what's found on the net. List features are really popular in the magazine, as are the other things we're apparently constantly repeating endless time. We've had three completely different mega drive features in 7 years. Hardly constant coverage :roll:

Maybe you should start reading another retro mag that delivers as much exclusive, original content as we do, as this one clearly isn't up to your impossibly high standards.
Absolutely no need to get snarky. I am entitled to my opinion and I always state I enjoy the mag before mentioning any negative points. I read it every month and dip into old issues too so maybe I am over exposed to it, but the arrogant tone and sarcasm isn't necessary and makes me not want to buy the magazine anymore. I see a lot of your comments on the site, and it's good that the editor is a part of the online community of readers, but you always seem on the defensive when anyone dares criticize Retro Gamer.

I did think the addition of developer comments in the power up feature was a neat touch. But it is still a list.

And you DO cover the same stuff alot, but I appreciate that there is only a finite amount of retro gaming stuff to cover, so retreading old ground is inevitable.

As I have said before, I LOVE the magazine, but of course it could be better; everything can be improved. I enjoy the humour and laid back nature of the magazine, and the coverage of games that bring back lots of memories. My ONLY issue really is the homebrew section is dull and seems takked on. If you want to cover some awesome indie and homebrew games then look at titles such as:

Red Rogue
Organ Trail : Directors Cut
Snapshot
Teleglitch
Maldita Castilla
Abobo's Big Adventure
Qrth-Phyl
Rock Boshers
Shoot First
Treasure Adventure Game
You Have To Win The Game

the list could go on forever.

Seems like you are too busy playing non-retro balls like Colonial Marines to spend time playing decent indie and true retro gaming. Makes me question your commitment quite frankly.

Reading this thread is ruining my appreciation of the magazine.. like when you discover a musician who makes songs you love is an a-hole.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 am

You're being a little harsh chip tune.
We started covering XBIG for no other reason than people like yourself suggested it and we felt it was a good idea, and then you get annoyed because we cover games you don't feel are good? Plus we did that list of XBLI Games. How are we ever supposed to win? You're seem to be never happy with anything we do :?

As I explained online to a few chaps last night, lists are also used for pacing purposes. Retro Gamer is a dense magazine so we put lighter material in to supplement that. You see it in all magazines. Whenever we can, we get additional developer insight to give them a little more meat, but sometimes they're just created for some light reading. Some people prefer the magazine's viewpoints on those lists compared to those found elsewhere online. I'm guessing some don't.

I'll pass your game suggestions on to Jason that you made, and if you remember I've actually reviewed stuff in the past based on your suggestions, but we can't fit all your personal favourites in. You just have to realise that there are plenty of homebrew gamers who won't even touch a game on a new console, no matter how old school it is.

I'd also appreciate it if you can clarify why I can't have other gaming interests outside of retro as I'm a little confused about why you think what I do in my own personal time is relevant to me running a retro magazine.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:22 am

I JUST WISH MUMMY AND DADDY WOULD STOP SHOUTING AT EACH OTHER...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 am

Dear oh dear !

Come on lads, not this again. Every issue will cater for different tastes, we hear it all the time - 'not much in it for me this month', then next month 'great issue for me'... etc

Retro is a huge huge scene, catering for many different tastes, some love the techy stuff, some dont, some love games, some not so keen etc. I'm happy we've got a mag for retro, again it wont please everyone 100% every month, impossible.

I mean complaining that a game was out on system x is OTT. What next ? The top 10 lists on back to the 80's dont feature the top 10 games of some computer which only sold 500 units in Albania in 1982 ? I dont personally care if an article doesnt feature the 92 computers/consoles the game was released on and might only mention the 'bigger names' only.

In the past i havent been keen on the Carrier Command article (never liked the game in the 80s/90's, still dont now), the listing for some C64 basic game i wasnt keen on but i simply flick over and read something i like.

The homebrew section i'm a fan of, i would prefer it does 'real' homebrew like C64/Speccy other 8 bits rather than remakes to play on an X-Box. I LOVE iOS but i dont expect 10 iOS reviews of retro remakes every month, would love it but it wont happen. I personally love the 'list articles', saves me time looking on the net for one, like to have one in RG i can read, but granted some people dont like that. Again its retro - not everyone will be happy. Look at any retro show theres been and the moans - 'too big a show', 'too cramped a show', 'beers were 20p more than what i'm used to paying' , 'why isnt it 1 metre from my doorstep' etc. Its like a lot of retro gamers just like to moan constantly whether its about a show or the mag.

But theres constructive criticism then theres whinging, and when people whinge, theyre happy to do that but the second someone responds then its 'i'm going to tell your boss' or 'i'm going to stop buying your magazine' l like some petty little child. Its good Darran does get involved rather than come out with boring neutral crap like 'thanks we'll look into it' which you often get when you email a company about something.

A lot of people seem to think that the magazine should cater solely to their needs and no one elses. I dont want to read about X-Box retro remakes, just as others dont want to read about lots of iOS games (whereas i would). Give me a list of top 20 games anyday over some techy article about some Polish computer kinda thing or a list of 30 machines a game was released on.

merman

Post by merman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:58 am

If the magazine was filled cover to cover with list features, then that would be a valid complaint. It isn't.

The top 30 power-ups was really well designed, featured some very interesting developer insight into how power-ups work and was something RG had not done before.

The other day someone posted a link to an Internet article on Tony Crowther. It was poorly researched and missed out more than half of his games. Comparing that to, say, a Desert Island Disks feature in RG by Paul Drury and you will see why the print article is miles ahead of the web in terms of content, design, insight and accuracy.

As psj says, we seem to go round in circles here. Negative and unfounded criticism fills up the feedback thread, Darran and the freelancers defend their hard work and the same few people complain that their feedback is not being listened to. In the last seven years with Darran as editor RG has gone from strength to strength and continues to serve up quality content every four weeks. As a reader and freelancer I like what we get and what the mag does.

We've had the argument about the homebrew column before, and it has been changing to cover a wider range. If you feel a format or game deserves attention, post about it - don't whine a couple of months later that RG did not cover it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Fawltykog

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 am

Retro Gamer IS the best magazine out there and while sure some articles don't float my boat i think we're lucky to have it at all considering it nearly disappeared for good when the original publishers went down.

Yep. :arrow:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:22 am

If it helps, I've just kicked myself to death for not mentioning the Spectrum version of Boulder Dash in the making-of I wrote for issue 27. All my future articles will now be written by Zombie Craig. I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY NOW.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:54 am

CraigGrannell wrote:If it helps, I've just kicked myself to death for not mentioning the Spectrum version of Boulder Dash in the making-of I wrote for issue 27. All my future articles will now be written by Zombie Craig. I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY NOW.
Well Zombies do seem to keep gamers entertained these days. Tell you what, if your writing goes down hill drastically, e.g. 4 pages of the word "Brains!" repeated ad infinatum, would you be up for some real life survival horror gaming? :wink:
Last edited by Rory Milne on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:19 am

CraigGrannell wrote:If it helps, I've just kicked myself to death for not mentioning the Spectrum version of Boulder Dash in the making-of I wrote for issue 27. All my future articles will now be written by Zombie Craig. I HOPE YOU'RE ALL HAPPY NOW.
I suggest Zombie Craig's first commission should be a "Retro Undead" feature.

Zombie Zombie, Pyracurse, Imhotep, Nosferatu all the way through to the first Resi.
Eat my boomstick

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 am

ChipTune wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
ChipTune wrote: Seems like you are too busy playing non-retro balls like Colonial Marines to spend time playing decent indie and true retro gaming. Makes me question your commitment quite frankly.
I've read some daft stuff on here (not least in the last few days...) but this takes the biscuit.
Is Darran only allowed to use a Sinclair Spectrum, and type all the game he reviews in himself while listening exclusively to Spandau Ballet?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:37 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:As I explained online to a few chaps last night...
The group chat last night to which you refer was very constructive. Sure, it may have been a little testy at first but I and seemingly all invloved including yourself thought it a positive experience going forward. The one thing all parties had in common was a passion to see Retro Gamer magazine be all that it can be by reaching the highest of standards. As we agreed, I'll be providing some feedback on the current issue of RG in due course now that my faith has been restored to the point it feels worthwhile to bother doing so once more. :D

On a related note that kinda brings me on to the more general point of how certain members of this forum conduct themselves in this Feedback section month in month out...

What's really not helping this current debate in the thread is the instance of certain people seeking to paint any negative feedback as 'whinging'. Even less helpful are those who are resorting to ad hominem attacks in labelling other members as being 'mental' or being 'buffoons'. It's frankly insulting to the intelligence and if this is what happens each time errors and omissions in the magazine are highlighted then we may as well pack up now and go home.

Some people here evidently do not appreciate what the term 'feedback' means. It sure as hell doesn't mean jumping on someone each time negative feedback is given. It sure as hell doesn't mean blowing smoke up Darran's backside like this is some kind of popularity contest to curry favour with the editor. It very much appears that certain people here love kissing Darran's backside at every given opportunity presumably in the belief that they're doing 'the right thing'. Whereas in fact no magazine, not even RG, is perfect and will always have room for improvement. The irony being that this coterie of sycophants risk holding the magazine back from improving if Darran only ever hears gushing praise. This need of certain forum members to 'defend' the magazine by ridiculing people each time criticisms are made is very childish indeed. It kills stone dead any chance of reasoned debate occurring and I'm sure Darran and RG's writers are big enough to discuss matters without this bunch of cheerleaders chiming in to kiss their backsides.

Before the hard of thinking here try twisting my words into something they are not I would point out that I don't agree with each and every criticism levelled at RG magazine. Some of it is clearly unfair, unreasonable and incredibly self-centered. Some of it even appears to be deliberately faux controversial solely done for attention seeking purposes. If that's the case then I find it best to simply ignore such criticisms or, failing that, to respond to them without resorting to ad hominem attacks or petty insults. Yes, I know I'm dreaming because it'll never happen. We'll just see a continuation of the same old people chiming in with their snide comments to belittle those giving any negative feedback seemingly in the misguided belief that they're doing RG magazine a good turn and/or ingratiating themselves with Darran somewhat akin to being teacher's pet.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:44 am

RitmanRovers wrote:
I suggest Zombie Craig's first commission should be a "Retro Undead" feature.

Zombie Zombie, Pyracurse, Imhotep, Nosferatu all the way through to the first Resi.
What a great idea!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 am

ChipTune wrote:Seems like you are too busy playing non-retro balls like Colonial Marines to spend time playing decent indie and true retro gaming. Makes me question your commitment quite frankly.
So Darran is not allowed to play modern games yet you give this long list of modern games that you want covering in the mag because YOU like playing them :?

Makes sense . . . .
ChipTune wrote: then look at titles such as:
Red Rogue
Organ Trail : Directors Cut
Snapshot
Teleglitch
Maldita Castilla
Abobo's Big Adventure
Qrth-Phyl
Rock Boshers
Shoot First
Treasure Adventure Game