Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by crusto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:24 pm

@ Darran
I know so, and I'm not the only one either. Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.

Eat your nans pants

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:30 pm

I dont read german...
And it's not a case of lump it or like it
It's a case of we make a certain type of magazine for a certainb type of readership. If I wasn't happen with the content of Empire I'd buy Total Film for example. I wouldn't go onto Empire's forum and whine that they were'nt making a magazine that caters to my personal needs.

Anyway this is going nowhere because certain people will always need to get the last word in. I'll be bowing out and answering anything that's actually feedback. I want to carry on playing Colonial Marines.
Thanks? you wanted constructive help???
I was just telling you about how other magazine approach content.
I am sure Empire read what Total Film are up to, and visa versa, they would be fools not too.
But It sounds like you have NOTHING to read, or care not too.
Keep it as it is if that what you want to do, just stop asking us what we think of it all the time! :roll:

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I really don't understand the negativity....

I have many genres and games that I don't personally like , but because I love the world of gaming I will give a bit of respect to the hard working individuals who have written the articles...

if I then don't like the article then big deal..its not the end of the world..

I am a long time subscriber and am happy that I have bought every copy of retro gamer and all of the bookazines....I like gaming, I like reading about gaming and there is nothing else that even comes close to Retro Gamer.

From one happy customer - thank you.

To the other people who dont like a certain feature or article....turn the page or put the magazine down and play a game...

I am sure I have wrote a very similar post to this before....

Oh dear - repetition....I am in trouble now..... :wink:

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:39 pm

crusto wrote:@ Darran
Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.
So wait. I'm not allowed to defend the magazine I work on, a magazine we put a lot of effort into to ensure people enjoy reading it? We're supposed to just soak up unfounded criticism simply because you say so? How does that work?
I'm not been rude to anyone, I've disagreed with points I don't feel are valid complaints and we are doing what we can to sort out areas where there are general short comings in the mag. Like we've always done.

You're a paying customer though, so if you feel you need to complain then by all means do so.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:42 pm

carl_retrotext wrote: But It sounds like you have NOTHING to read, or care not too.
Keep it as it is if that what you want to do, just stop asking us what we think of it all the time! :roll:
See now you're twisting words :lol:
I don't read German, I didn't say we never look at other magazines for ideas (we've got quite a few floating around the offic, including a cool french one.
We always listen to CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. We always have and we'll always continue to do so. It's just tiring to hear the same old record being played all the time.

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:49 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
carl_retrotext wrote: But It sounds like you have NOTHING to read, or care not too.
I don't read German, I didn't say we never look at other magazines for ideas (we've got quite a few floating around the offic, including a cool french one.
We always listen to CONSTRUCTIVE feedback. We always have and we'll always continue to do so. It's just tiring to hear the same old record being played all the time.

Twisting your words? blimey! I really came in peace.........
I am getting drawn into a pointless discussion, after I only asked if you read other magazines to get ideas, this is going nowhere, just wanted to help.
In the words of Queen ♫ Another Sub bites the dust.♫
I can get insulted without paying for the privilege.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm

carl_retrotext wrote:

Twisting your words? blimey! I really came in peace.........
I am getting drawn into a pointless discussion, after I only asked if you read other magazines to get ideas, this is going nowhere, just wanted to help.
In the words of Queen ♫ Another Sub bites the dust.♫
I can get insulted without paying for the privilege.
But you didn't ask if we read other magazines. And if that's what you meant, it certainly didn't come across like that. If you did I would have given you the reply I just gave you :)
Of course we look at other mags, like you've polinted out we'd be silly not too. We stick to our own identity and do features in our own way. That's not going to be to everyone's tastes.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:09 pm

crusto wrote:@ Darran
Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.
So wait. I'm not allowed to defend the magazine I work on, a magazine we put a lot of effort into to ensure people enjoy reading it? We're supposed to just soak up unfounded criticism simply because you say so? How does that work?
I'm not been rude to anyone, I've disagreed with points I don't feel are valid complaints and we are doing what we can to sort out areas where there are general short comings in the mag. Like we've always done.

You're a paying customer though, so if you feel you need to complain then by all means do so.
Give me a definition of unfounded criticism :lol: As for not being rude, I suggest you re-read some of your posts. You are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if you think you are not rude. I've kept my mouth shut for a very long time and I don't speak just for myself. You clearly can't take criticism in any way shape or form, it's not all bad you know, but what do we know, we're just lowly readers.

Perhaps when the readership numbers start to dwindle you won't be so sure of yourself.

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:11 pm

crusto wrote: Give me a definition of unfounded criticism :lol: As for not being rude, I suggest you re-read some of your posts. You are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if you think you are not rude. I've kept my mouth shut for a very long time and I don't speak just for myself. You clearly can't take criticism in any way shape or form, it's not all bad you know, but what do we know, we're just lowly readers.

Perhaps when the readership numbers start to dwindle you won't be so sure of yourself.
I'm pretty sure I've not been rude, I've just been dealing with a frustrating aspect that often derails threads. I apologise if you feel I have been.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:13 pm

crusto wrote: Give me a definition of unfounded criticism :lol: As for not being rude, I suggest you re-read some of your posts. You are clearly living in cloud cuckoo land if you think you are not rude. I've kept my mouth shut for a very long time and I don't speak just for myself. You clearly can't take criticism in any way shape or form, it's not all bad you know, but what do we know, we're just lowly readers.

I'm pretty sure I've not been rude, I've just been dealing with a frustrating aspect that often derails threads. I've also never suggested you're lowly readers and am pretty confident plenty here will defend me on that. I apologise if you feel I have been though, people react differently to different things :)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:24 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:I really don't understand the negativity....

I have many genres and games that I don't personally like , but because I love the world of gaming I will give a bit of respect to the hard working individuals who have written the articles...

if I then don't like the article then big deal..its not the end of the world..

I am a long time subscriber and am happy that I have bought every copy of retro gamer and all of the bookazines....I like gaming, I like reading about gaming and there is nothing else that even comes close to Retro Gamer.

From one happy customer - thank you.

To the other people who dont like a certain feature or article....turn the page or put the magazine down and play a game...

I am sure I have wrote a very similar post to this before....

Oh dear - repetition....I am in trouble now..... :wink:
Totally agree and seconded. Too many readers seem to get the pip if an issue does not cater to their specific gaming interests specifically, and spit the dummy or unfairly criticise. Issue 112 isn't as good as 111 for me personally, but there is still enjoyable features in it for me and I'm happy in the knowledge what does not interest me completely will cater to someone else. There will always be issues that stand out for you more than others, and a multi format mag will NEVER please all the people all the time. IMO people need to chill the **** out a little! :lol:

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:12 pm

crusto wrote:Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.
Crusto - stop derailing the issue feedback section with your whinging. Its not the right place for it, and no-one enjoys it or agrees with your point of view. Please stop ruining the forum for people who actually enjoy the magazine - take it offline and do it through the appropriate channels or simply stop reading the mag.

I for one, would much rather that Darren spent his time focusing on producing the mag than having to respond to all the schoolboy-level whining that goes on here.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 pm

:)
gman72 wrote:
ChipTune wrote:

The worst part of the mag is the homebrew section. It really irks me how so many great games get no mention in the mag whatsoever yet utter utter SH1TE like Retro Pixel racers and Space Egypt get reviewed.. both are utter garbage and not worth a second of anyone's time.
You do have a point, albeit a controversial one on this forum i'm sure. I've actually played very few of the games covered in this section and sometimes wonder how many people actually do play many of titles reviewed.
I do however feel that the Homebrew Section does give RG a lot of character.
I would also argue I love the original Tutankham arcade machine, so am interested to know of a homebrew/remake. This is another example of the 'I don't like it so therefore it is rubbish' criticism. Opinions everyone is entitled to, of course, but it does get annoying when you continue to read in the feedback section (A minority to be fair) complaints because an issue didn't cover what they specifically like, without a moments thought that other readers may indeed like it!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:30 am

That's because these vocal buffoons love controversy, confrontation and the sound of their own pixels. The ignore function is awesome and makes for a much more pleasant forum. I'm sure Darran wishes he could use it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:30 am

antsbull wrote:
crusto wrote:Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.
Crusto - stop derailing the issue feedback section with your whinging. Its not the right place for it, and no-one enjoys it or agrees with your point of view. Please stop ruining the forum for people who actually enjoy the magazine - take it offline and do it through the appropriate channels or simply stop reading the mag.

I for one, would much rather that Darren spent his time focusing on producing the mag than having to respond to all the schoolboy-level whining that goes on here.
Thanks for your two pence worth antsbull, I love the way you qualify yourself to talk on behalf of every forum member. I've posted on here for years and the vast majority of it is not whinging. My problem is with the way Darran treats some members on here, I would take it to PM but what's the point when he doesn't reply?

For the record, I enjoy the mag too and have been a subscriber since I first saw it, around issue 5 I think. Your more than welcome to read through my posts. You will see how generally positive they are. But if I think someone is in the wrong ill say so.

Eat your nans pants