Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

markopoloman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Can I assume all the petty arguing, name calling and pre-school fighting has come to a close?

Lets keep this on 112 feedback from this point please (go or bad, but constructive).

Lovely.

Read the Homebrew section earlier - and I do enjoy this most issues. Also read back to the 80's & 90's - awesome as usual :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 pm

The Beans wrote:God, posting on this forum is a pain these days. Who's hosting it, Poundstretcher?

I was going to point something out about the indie/homebrew coverage but wtf.
There is a thread on this feedback section that has rumbled on regarding the forum glitchy problems... Darran has posted today about what is happening so fingers crossed it'll be sorted soon :D

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:44 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:
If you call someone an "a-hole" and question their "commitment" to retro gaming (despite being the Editor of retro gaming magazines and sections for a decade) because they don't just play retro games exclusively, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you: you are mental.

As for anyone ingratiating themselves with Darran and trying to become a teacher's pet, I'm not sure I can speak on behalf of everyone, but I couldn't give a toss what Darran thinks about me. I simply like the magazine and find the nitpicking, outraged pedantry and inflated self-worth of some of the "Feedback" utterly fcking nauseating.
You cant even get your facts right.

I can't be bothered.. enough with this. Anyone who calls me mental is invited to come visit me and see if it is true. Maybe I will be sane, and a nice guy? Or maybe I will beat your head in with a brick before defacating on your twitching body while wearing a tu tu and singing the Macarena

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I made a more in-depth post about this but technical forum twittery apparently rewards the brief.

In short, the magazine is Retro Gamer and not Indie Gamer. Quite a few of the games on Chiptune's list are worth a play but they're just straight indie games despite the retro influences. It makes more sense to give valuable page space to remakes or clones of games like Super Sprint and Tutankham if you're a retro magazine. Coverage of indie games is nice and all but it's not really why many of us buy the magazine.

I'd like to see an Indie Gamer magazine btw. Just like RG but for Indie. I'd subscribe. Get on it Darran, there's a good chap.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:57 pm

The Beans wrote:
I'd like to see an Indie Gamer magazine btw. Just like RG but for Indie. I'd subscribe. Get on it Darran, there's a good chap.
That is a bloody good shout! I'd sign up for that.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:14 pm

ChipTune wrote:
You cant even get your facts right.

I can't be bothered.. enough with this. Anyone who calls me mental is invited to come visit me and see if it is true. Maybe I will be sane, and a nice guy? Or maybe I will beat your head in with a brick before defacating on your twitching body while wearing a tu tu and singing the Macarena
Oh dear.
Eat my boomstick

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:18 pm

Come on guys there's a lot of spiteful name calling going on now. Please let's get this back on topic. Otherwise I'll have no choice but to lock the thread.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Yeah, let's not bicker and argue about who said what and who killed who... to quote Monty Python.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:43 pm

kiwimike wrote::)
gman72 wrote:
ChipTune wrote:

The worst part of the mag is the homebrew section. It really irks me how so many great games get no mention in the mag whatsoever yet utter utter SH1TE like Retro Pixel racers and Space Egypt get reviewed.. both are utter garbage and not worth a second of anyone's time.
You do have a point, albeit a controversial one on this forum i'm sure. I've actually played very few of the games covered in this section and sometimes wonder how many people actually do play many of titles reviewed.
I do however feel that the Homebrew Section does give RG a lot of character.
I would also argue I love the original Tutankham arcade machine, so am interested to know of a homebrew/remake. This is another example of the 'I don't like it so therefore it is rubbish' criticism. Opinions everyone is entitled to, of course, but it does get annoying when you continue to read in the feedback section (A minority to be fair) complaints because an issue didn't cover what they specifically like, without a moments thought that other readers may indeed like it!
Now then you've quoted my post here completely unfairly. I like the Homebrew section and read it every month and enjoy it whilst rarely playing any of the games reviewed in this section I feel it gives RG character and is interesting, I never said it is rubbish and feel you ought to read some of the posts you are quoting before including them. I only agreed with Chiptune to an extent and whilst I have moaned about what I considerd too much 8bit coverage in the past later issues have resolved this. I love RG it is the only games mag i buy and don't like to moan about its content without what i consider real reason.
Jump on some other bandwagon, mate.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:03 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:
crusto wrote:@ Darran
I know so, and I'm not the only one either. Good luck to you Darran, I'm considering letting your superiors know about your conduct.
You appear to be slightly mental. That, allied with a seething undercurrent of barely-concealed jealousy and rage, makes for a tiresome - if intermittently pitifully amusing - combination.

Mental? Jealous? And angry? Okay, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion, but if floats your boat then you are welcome to think so. Now you'll have to excuse me, I'm off to throw darts at a photo of a certain somebody. :roll:

Eat your nans pants

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:33 pm

give us a kiss :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:42 pm

gman72 wrote:give us a kiss :wink:
alright but no tounges this time
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 pm

gman72 wrote:give us a kiss :wink:
Oh you devil
Eat my boomstick

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm

im just trying to lighten the bonkers mood in here.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

gman72 wrote:im just trying to lighten the bonkers mood in here.
Do you want me to wear my special outfit?

Eat your nans pants