Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:17 pm

ChipTune wrote: Seems like you are too busy playing non-retro balls like Colonial Marines to spend time playing decent indie and true retro gaming. Makes me question your commitment quite frankly.

Reading this thread is ruining my appreciation of the magazine.. like when you discover a musician who makes songs you love is an a-hole.
Oh. My. God.

It's people like you that give nerds a bad name.
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:20 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:As I explained online to a few chaps last night...
The group chat last night to which you refer was very constructive. Sure, it may have been a little testy at first but I and seemingly all invloved including yourself thought it a positive experience going forward. The one thing all parties had in common was a passion to see Retro Gamer magazine be all that it can be by reaching the highest of standards. As we agreed, I'll be providing some feedback on the current issue of RG in due course now that my faith has been restored to the point it feels worthwhile to bother doing so once more. :D

On a related note that kinda brings me on to the more general point of how certain members of this forum conduct themselves in this Feedback section month in month out...

What's really not helping this current debate in the thread is the instance of certain people seeking to paint any negative feedback as 'whinging'. Even less helpful are those who are resorting to ad hominem attacks in labelling other members as being 'mental' or being 'buffoons'. It's frankly insulting to the intelligence and if this is what happens each time errors and omissions in the magazine are highlighted then we may as well pack up now and go home.

Some people here evidently do not appreciate what the term 'feedback' means. It sure as hell doesn't mean jumping on someone each time negative feedback is given. It sure as hell doesn't mean blowing smoke up Darran's backside like this is some kind of popularity contest to curry favour with the editor. It very much appears that certain people here love kissing Darran's backside at every given opportunity presumably in the belief that they're doing 'the right thing'. Whereas in fact no magazine, not even RG, is perfect and will always have room for improvement. The irony being that this coterie of sycophants risk holding the magazine back from improving if Darran only ever hears gushing praise. This need of certain forum members to 'defend' the magazine by ridiculing people each time criticisms are made is very childish indeed. It kills stone dead any chance of reasoned debate occurring and I'm sure Darran and RG's writers are big enough to discuss matters without this bunch of cheerleaders chiming in to kiss their backsides.

Before the hard of thinking here try twisting my words into something they are not I would point out that I don't agree with each and every criticism levelled at RG magazine. Some of it is clearly unfair, unreasonable and incredibly self-centered. Some of it even appears to be deliberately faux controversial solely done for attention seeking purposes. If that's the case then I find it best to simply ignore such criticisms or, failing that, to respond to them without resorting to ad hominem attacks or petty insults. Yes, I know I'm dreaming because it'll never happen. We'll just see a continuation of the same old people chiming in with their snide comments to belittle those giving any negative feedback seemingly in the misguided belief that they're doing RG magazine a good turn and/or ingratiating themselves with Darran somewhat akin to being teacher's pet.
If you call someone an "a-hole" and question their "commitment" to retro gaming (despite being the Editor of retro gaming magazines and sections for a decade) because they don't just play retro games exclusively, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you: you are mental.

As for anyone ingratiating themselves with Darran and trying to become a teacher's pet, I'm not sure I can speak on behalf of everyone, but I couldn't give a toss what Darran thinks about me. I simply like the magazine and find the nitpicking, outraged pedantry and inflated self-worth of some of the "Feedback" utterly fcking nauseating.
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
Fawltykog
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:41 pm
Location: Down 't Pits

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:26 pm

'Tis now a crime to like a magazine. :shock:

Guilty as charged :D

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Fawltykog wrote:'Tis now a crime to like a magazine. :shock:

Guilty as charged :D
All we need now is a PC vs Consoles geek-war to ignite and the site will be complete.

I occasioanlly stumble across these (usually in the comments section of articles on Eurogamer or something) and it's quite remarkable.

"Man, I don't know how anyone can play an FPS on a console!!!111 My rig has Blahdeblah Graphics card 100010000 and runs at 6 zillion whatevers and the speed and accuracy of MegaMouseKILLATRON set-up is unbeatable!!!"

"Erm, I like playing Halo on my 360. Cos the controller has triggers on it. You know. For shooting the guns. Like a real trigger. It's great fun"

"Man, you suck, you douche"
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

This is a retro site so Commode 64 Vs. Spectrum or Sega Vs. Nintendo is more likely :P

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:36 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:If you call someone an "a-hole" and question their "commitment" to retro gaming (despite being the Editor of retro gaming magazines and sections for a decade) because they don't just play retro games exclusively, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you: you are mental.
crusto may have been a little strong in his use of language but you're focusing on only some of the things he said and ignoring the wider context. Anyway, I'm not here to defend him and I'm sure he wouldn't expect me to because he's more than capable of defending himself. You calling him 'mental' is plain nasty and doesn't in any way encourage calm or reasoned debate. Ad hominem attacks are not needed.
As for anyone ingratiating themselves with Darran and trying to become a teacher's pet, I'm not sure I can speak on behalf of everyone, but I couldn't give a toss what Darran thinks about me. I simply like the magazine and find the nitpicking, outraged pedantry and inflated self-worth of some of the "Feedback" utterly fcking nauseating.
Ignore it then. I personally find all the arse kissing to be nauseating too but don't feel the need to post angry words about it or be abusive to those that do.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:41 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
RitmanRovers wrote:If you call someone an "a-hole" and question their "commitment" to retro gaming (despite being the Editor of retro gaming magazines and sections for a decade) because they don't just play retro games exclusively, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you: you are mental.
crusto may have been a little strong in his use of language but you're focusing on only some of the things he said and ignoring the wider context. Anyway, I'm not here to defend him and I'm sure he wouldn't expect me to because he's more than capable of defending himself. You calling him 'mental' is plain nasty and doesn't in any way encourage calm or reasoned debate. Ad hominem attacks are not needed.
I focused on some of the mental things he said, thus obviating the need to even begin searching for the purported wider context.

Assuming there was one. As I said, I didn't think searching for it had any value, so I didn't bother.
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:46 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:I focused on some of the mental things he said...
That's the third time you've called crusto 'mental'.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
RitmanRovers wrote:I focused on some of the mental things he said...
That's the third time you've called crusto 'mental'.
I think castigating someone for daring to play non-retro games, and indeed using that as evidence that Darran isn't committed to "the retro cause" is a bit mental, yeah.

You don't appear to agree. I don't appear to care.

I appreciate you keeping score, though
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:01 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
RitmanRovers wrote:I focused on some of the mental things he said...
That's the third time you've called crusto 'mental'.
I think castigating someone for daring to play non-retro games, and indeed using that as evidence that Darran isn't committed to "the retro cause" is a bit mental, yeah.
Oh dear, oh dear. It was Chiptune who said that, not crusto. So well done to you for calling someone 'mental' when you evidently find it a stretch too far to differentiate between two different forum members.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:05 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear. It was Chiptune who said that, not crusto. So well done to you for calling someone 'mental' when you evidently find it a stretch too far to differentiate between two different forum members.
I was confused because you accused me of calling crusto "mental" three times, when in the first instance I was calling chiptune mental.
So your error caused the confusion and it's essentially your fault for being either innumerate or illiterate. Or both.
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear. It was Chiptune who said that, not crusto. So well done to you for calling someone 'mental' when you evidently find it a stretch too far to differentiate between two different forum members.
I was confused because you accused me of calling crusto "mental" three times, when in the first instance I was calling chiptune mental.
So your error caused the confusion and it's essentially your fault for being either innumerate or illiterate. Or both.
Comedy gold! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:49 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:12 pm

With all due respect to those posting, the comments on this thread have now moved so far off-topic that any actual feedback on issue 112, positive or negative, is rapidly becoming a distant memory. Any chance of getting the thread back on track guys?

User avatar
RitmanRovers
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by RitmanRovers » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:19 pm

Rory Milne wrote:With all due respect to those posting, the comments on this thread have now moved so far off-topic that any actual feedback on issue 112, positive or negative, is rapidly becoming a distant memory. Any chance of getting the thread back on track guys?
I liked it. I found a lot of it of particular interest (Chaos, Rex, Special FX) and the return of the two columnists, plus I used to have a Megadrive and enjoy looking at pictures of it and reading words about it.

Sid Meier is always interesting despite the fact that I've never played any of his games and probably never will.

The cover was fine, better than some others.

Hope this helps, although I think I've done feedback twice now, but I keep getting distracted by some slightly mental people going on about Darran being a Retro Sellout Traitor due to his occasional dalliance with modern games, and outraged diatribes about the fcking break-away Bournemouth Atari fanzine usergroup, which everyone has surely heard of?
Eat my boomstick

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by The Beans » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:36 pm

God, posting on this forum is a pain these days. Who's hosting it, Poundstretcher?

I was going to point something out about the indie/homebrew coverage but wtf.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest