Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

joedick

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by joedick » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 pm

The Laird wrote: - Rarest PAL games lists The Punisher, which isn't that rare considering I bought one not so long ago for £28.
While I can't speak to whether or not The Punisher is rare, rarity and value don't always correlate.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Does it really say that about the sports games on the MD? That's bad, and disappointing. Leaving aside FIFA, what about the John Madden, Hockey and Golf games? All iconic and important games on the machine I'd say.

I suppose that's the difference between "collectors" and those that play the games though.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:52 pm

jdanddiet wrote:I suppose that's the difference between "collectors" and those that play the games though.
This, in a way. When you're collecting, you get to realise that there's an awful lot of sports games on some systems...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:51 pm

Good feature on 'Special FX'. I remember when I started at Ocean that Paul Finnegan and Jof were in the process of setting it up. They hadn't left Ocean but were just about to. Also nice 'Making Of Rex' feature too. I bought this back in the day and remember playing it in my lunch break downstairs at Ocean. It was the last new Spectrum game I ever bought I think, moving on to the Atari ST.

Don't think much of the cover.
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:02 pm

The Laird wrote: Yes and it has a number of errors including:

- Saying the EA sports games were an infection on the system when they were one of the biggest reasons the MD sold so well. Precisely why, in the US especially, the MD/Genesis was known as the "sports console" and thus became the first console to really appeal to casual gamer male adults, way before the PS1.
I have to say that is very poor. The EA Sports titles were often fantastic on the MD.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Well as I mentioned, it is written from a collector's standpoint, but nonetheless suggest the games are some sort of disease and not worthy which is a mite strong language for them imo, especially, as the DC suggested, they formed a very solid foundation for the console.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm

The Laird wrote: - Rarest PAL games lists The Punisher, which isn't that rare considering I bought one not so long ago for £28.
Perhaps you got lucky then as I think it sells for £100+ on ebay easily. I can see two manual-less copies that have sold for £100 each on BIN in the completed listings section but there might be something fishy there since both appear to the same copy and possibly fake. I do agree though that it's more a case of this game being expensive rather than rare.
The Laird wrote: - Top Import Games lists Golden Axe 3, which is widely considered to be crap
Personally it's my favourite in the series! More characters, branching paths and all that...I just always go back to this one above the others. I have it twice on compilations and also own an original Japanese copy. Revenge of Death Adder in the arcade is better than all of them though (though that has nothing to do with this article of course).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:I'd love to be a fly on the wall of a sales meeting about this one. Typically, 'number' covers tend to sell very well in tech mags and also many consumer mags (hence why there are so many '50 blah blah blah' covers), and it'd be interesting to discover if this is also true for RG. As it is, I rather liked the Civ cover in the letters page. Looking forward to reading that article later, too—and hoping one day someone will do a touchscreen port of Civ II to the iPad.
That's interesting, because I was wondering why we didn't have a singular game or series headlining the mag (nor next month); whilst I know it isn't the case, the first thing I genuinely thought when I saw the cover (and then the preview showing the 'Boss Rush' article as the headliner) was "Have they run out of games to write about then?"

In fairness, I've never liked list features because they are usually disjointed, have no flow and are just a collection of unrelated statements/opinions. At least there is a common theme linking the box-outs in the 'Power-ups' feature, but it's still a strange thing to make the cover.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

nakamura wrote:
The Laird wrote: Yes and it has a number of errors including:

- Saying the EA sports games were an infection on the system when they were one of the biggest reasons the MD sold so well. Precisely why, in the US especially, the MD/Genesis was known as the "sports console" and thus became the first console to really appeal to casual gamer male adults, way before the PS1.
I have to say that is very poor. The EA Sports titles were often fantastic on the MD.
I must admit that does sound strange. EA games on the MD were absolutely top notch, and I know many, many fans of them. Even us colonials who prefer rugby, soccer, cricket really got into the Maddens, NHL etc. Personal preference is personal preference of course...but that is a very controversial angle to take.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:35 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Awesome cover, awesome issue!!

After the borefest that was the previous issue its good to see Retro Gamer back on top form.

The cover is ace (and both other covers also looked good which is unusual as there is always one shocker, normally the one chosen!)

The best power up article is great and with Dead Space, Julian Gollop, Sid Meier, Eye Of The Beholder 2, Jordan Mencher, its a very, very strong issue.

Also nice to see Iain Lee and Paul Davies back.

Not sure why we keep having to have a picture of somebody on the front cover but the issue is so good that it doesn't really matter.

Next month also looks good with the Boss Rush, Amiga, Micro Machines etc.

Fingers crossed the mag carries on in this rich vein of form and doesn't slump back to the form of the last issue.

:lol: Different strokes for different folks. Feature for feature, I prefer the previous issue line up :)

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:25 am

I'm sure Hitman Halstep will disagree...

...but I had to titter at him being called "Gitman Halstep" on the letters page.

You've been outed, you git! :D
ImageImage

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:38 am

Mine arrived yesterday and although the cover isn't in my top 100, it's not THAT bad.

Content wise - not really interested in power-ups but I'm sure it'll be an interesting read!

So far I've read 'Making of REX' - very good making of, and 'special FX' - excellent stuff :D

Next to read - Civ & chaos.....

oh, next month looks full of good :D :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:22 am

I enjoyed the power ups feature, the design worked really well and the developer input made it more than just a list. Great interviews with Sid Meier and Jordan Mechner, and the Chaos piece has whetted my appetite for Chaos Reborn.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 am

I think it's one of the those marmite covers - but intrigue that Craig said list covers sell more

Jordan Mechner - this seems a familiar article - something very similar in GamesTM maybe a few months back?

BenderRodriguez

Post by BenderRodriguez » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:11 am

Hi,

New guy here, I've been reading R G from time to time always enjoying it, so missus (ekhm... Santa) got me a year subscription for Christmas, yay!

My inner geek noticed couple of things in latest issue. First is that Holy Hand Granade mentioned in power-ups doesn't work like regular grenade, it is much more powerful than grenade in every game in the series it appears in.

I also liked the interview with Sid Meier, he made some of my favourite games. However while Civ and Tycoons are discussed in detail but there's not a single mention of Colonization anywhere. It was a really good game at the time, had good scores in the reviews and surely I can't be the only one who played it much more than original Civ? It wasn't as well known back when it was released so perhaps you could mention it in one of your next issues, Colonization deserves a place in every retro games fan collection.

All the best and keep up with great work!
Last edited by BenderRodriguez on Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.