Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Timothy Lumsden

Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:50 am

cant see this on here - and got new issue in time for train this morning - so thought I'd throw it up.

I've only read about 1/4 of the mag, starting suprise surprise with Mega Drive article and gollop articles both being great. The civilisation article looks good too - but need the train home for that!

Interesting bit in the news section on which retro stuff made the cut on kickstarter

The one thing that immediately disappointed was the cover - it's very similar to the last retro bookazine - and looks a bit sloppy - but I'm not a fan of pixel art covers, so that's personal preference.

(will post cover up on twitter - i'm @mightymicroman)

Rory Milne

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 112 - Feedback Thread

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:45 pm

I've had no time to read it as yet, but below is a quick scan of the cover. I love my pixels, so it works for me. :D

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:57 pm

This had better be in Smith's in Waterloo on my way home, or I'm going to smash the place up*

*or be a bit disappointed. One of the two.
Eat my boomstick

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm

Got mine this morning, pretty much nothing in it that interests me - complete opposite to last month.

From The Archives will probably be good as always, the Jordan Mechner interview should be good but that is about it. I was excited by the Mega Drive collectors guide until I saw it was written by the same person who did the infamous NES collectors guide and so that ruined it for me.

Can't win them all I guess.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:13 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:This had better be in Smith's in Waterloo on my way home, or I'm going to smash the place up*

If you do smash up Smiths get a friend to film you with their mobile and chuck it up on YouTube. I'd opt for shouting "Where's my censored Retro Gamer then!?!", as you get dragged out of the shop by the security guards, but feel free to use your imagination. :wink:

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:27 pm

RitmanRovers wrote:This had better be in Smith's in Waterloo on my way home, or I'm going to smash the place up*

I think it might not be in Smiths until 1st of Feb. (grabs hammer)

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:

I think it might not be in Smiths until 1st of Feb. (grabs hammer)
Nooooooooooooooo. What the actual fck?

*RAMPAGE*
Eat my boomstick

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:00 pm

I'd love to be a fly on the wall of a sales meeting about this one. Typically, 'number' covers tend to sell very well in tech mags and also many consumer mags (hence why there are so many '50 blah blah blah' covers), and it'd be interesting to discover if this is also true for RG. As it is, I rather liked the Civ cover in the letters page. Looking forward to reading that article later, too—and hoping one day someone will do a touchscreen port of Civ II to the iPad.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm

The Civilization cover was a million times better than the one used IMO

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:22 pm

The Laird wrote:I was excited by the Mega Drive collectors guide until I saw it was written by the same person who did the infamous NES collectors guide and so that ruined it for me.
My copy hasn't arrived yet but lord help us if the article is as error strewn as his woeful NES Collector's Guide from RG 101. I sincerely hope it isn't but so appalling was that article that I'm fearing the worst.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm

Awesome cover, awesome issue!!

After the borefest that was the previous issue its good to see Retro Gamer back on top form.

The cover is ace (and both other covers also looked good which is unusual as there is always one shocker, normally the one chosen!)

The best power up article is great and with Dead Space, Julian Gollop, Sid Meier, Eye Of The Beholder 2, Jordan Mencher, its a very, very strong issue.

Also nice to see Iain Lee and Paul Davies back.

Not sure why we keep having to have a picture of somebody on the front cover but the issue is so good that it doesn't really matter.

Next month also looks good with the Boss Rush, Amiga, Micro Machines etc.

Fingers crossed the mag carries on in this rich vein of form and doesn't slump back to the form of the last issue.

DeanDude

Post by DeanDude » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 pm

I think the checklist near the back of the Mag is amazing as I own one of the 'Very Rare' games, (Mis)Adventures of Flink and it was a surprised to find out that it was worth £100+! I was cheering!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:23 pm

The Laird wrote:I was excited by the Mega Drive collectors guide until I saw it was written by the same person who did the infamous NES collectors guide and so that ruined it for me.
Have you read it yet? I'd hope lessons have been learned so wouldn't write it off.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Power-ups, I wonder if the Swordquest series (Atari VCS) is mentioned

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:44 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Have you read it yet? I'd hope lessons have been learned so wouldn't write it off.
Yes and it has a number of errors including:

- Saying the EA sports games were an infection on the system when they were one of the biggest reasons the MD sold so well. Precisely why, in the US especially, the MD/Genesis was known as the "sports console" and thus became the first console to really appeal to casual gamer male adults, way before the PS1.
- Saying the Mega Drive launch was over shadowed by the release of Super Mario Bros. 3 on NES. There was no relevance in mentioning the release of a NES game at all.
- Listing Thunderforce III as one of the rarest PAL releases when it never got a PAL release. Just because some importer sold imports with a German manual it doesn't make it official. Telegames used to sell imports with translated manuals, doesn't make them official.
- Top Import Games lists Golden Axe 3, which is widely considered to be crap and Magical Turbo Hat even though its the same game as Decap Attack.
- Rarest PAL games lists The Punisher, which isn't that rare considering I bought one not so long ago for £28.
- No mention at all of the holy grail that is MD Tetris.
- Bizarrely no mention of 6 button control pads either anywhere in the article, these were essential for games like Street Fighter II.