forum issues

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Re: forum issues

Post by crusto » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:56 pm

Well so far so good today, for me anyway :)

#scarraminkmonk

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:26 pm

Ok, last day or so I still get the dreaded general error message, especially yesterday. But now I also get the added feature of half loaded screens, namely the two ad banners at the top of the screen followed by nothing else. This happens quite often too, maybe 4 times out of 10 at a guess.

Anybody else getting this?

Eat your nans pants

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:44 pm

I was getting just banners last night, then the general error just after 5pm tonight.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:41 pm

It's

C

R

A

P

Eat your nans pants

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Site seems utterly broken for me, most of the time I try and get on here I'm getting errors. When it does work it also seems to be quite slow to initially access the forum meaning half the time I can't tell whether I'll actually be coming on or having the error pop up.

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:44 am

commanderkaiser wrote:Site seems utterly broken for me, most of the time I try and get on here I'm getting errors. When it does work it also seems to be quite slow to initially access the forum meaning half the time I can't tell whether I'll actually be coming on or having the error pop up.
Same here. I couldn't get on at all last night (nor Tuesday) and also have the slow access issues. Of all the forums I visit, this is by far the worst for reliability.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:32 am

It's very bad. Especially when the site is loading up and I think to myself "bet there'll be an error" and lo and behold, there is. It can't be good if I'm predicting errors before they show up on-screen. Seems to be worse late in the afternoon through to early evening for some reason then be better at night but by that time I've usually given up.

When it's working it seems okay besides taking an absolute age to log in and log out.

Very frustrating when I'm trying to reply to PM's or negotiate trades/sales with members :|
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Its all over the place, lots of general errors. It is working one minute and then its not :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Helensification

Post by Helensification » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:58 am

Amazing I actually managed to get on today.

Keep trying most days but time and again get error screen.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:00 am

The digital guys are looking at it and know how disappointed people are. I can't offer any more insight than that I'm afraid.

Lost Dragon

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:21 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The digital guys are looking at it and know how disappointed people are. I can't offer any more insight than that I'm afraid.
When it crashes after you hit submit after typing a lengthy post/reply to your goodself that raises some valid points, as a poster, i'm left thinking...am i really going to re-type all that, again and take a gamble site will stay up long enough to get it posted?.

I'm personally struggling to see why your tech guys cannot get a handle on this, it's giving same server error codes/messages, so that surely points them in the right direction.Someone must know what's causing it, what needs to be done, so it's either cost of repair or how long site would be offline, that i'm jumping to, conclusions wise.

Hope i'm wrong on both, but it's been long enough know to expect more details than what they are giving you.I fully understand your hands are tied, not your dept etc, just as frustrating, but it's killing forum stone dead far too often.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The digital guys are looking at it and know how disappointed people are. I can't offer any more insight than that I'm afraid.
When it crashes after you hit submit after typing a lengthy post/reply to your goodself that raises some valid points, as a poster, i'm left thinking...am i really going to re-type all that, again and take a gamble site will stay up long enough to get it posted?.
Typed a reply yesterday and got an error message along the lines of "not allowed to post replies" or something like that. T'was a 'Forbidden' screen with some gumph about something called 'apache' or whatever.

Long story short I just turned the computer off as I couldn't be arsed.

No sql error at the moment (not even going to bother touching wood) but it took a ridiculous amount of time to load up so I was amazed that it even did.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:35 am

Was down for most of this morning, and i kept checking periodically.

Something really needs to be done. Whether they hit a reset button, and delete lots of reallly old posts - whatever, but the most important thing for any forum is stability. People will leave if they are kept preventing from posting! Lots of little issues also like uploading problems don't help either.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm

People have left. The daily new post count here has dropped dramatically in recent weeks.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:24 pm

Not surprised, ridiculous at the mo. I couldnt log on for nearly 2 days, errors all the time.

For a major professional company/website you would think the tech heads would be sorting it asap. This has been going on forever