Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Timothy Lumsden

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:05 am

i thought this issue was very enjoyable and had a huge diversity of content - which is an excellent way to things.

From a personal perspective, I much prefer the more in depth style articles like 'From the Archives' to the list style '20 of this or that' articles. It's the deeper articles that set the magazine apart from the various websites out there.

I still don't think the review section has ever really 'clicked'. Would be great to see that re-jigged at some point.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am

the_hawk wrote: Oh yes, and Ramparts....never played it either. I always thought it was a Rampage clone set in medieval times, so I'd never bothered with it. :oops:
The article really made me want to have a game of it so I shall look forward to giving that a blast at some point in the near future.

EDIT: A bit of searching....there WAS another game called Ramparts from around the same time, no wonder I was so bloody confused! http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/articles/ramparts.htm - the Atari arcade game sounds much better.
Yeah Ramparts was a dodgy 'medieval' ripoff of Rampage, Rampart though is of course awesome :]

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:30 pm

cheers Craig, love your work. :) Just as an aside it does amaze me how some of those guys weren't even into games that much, or even at all, they just programmed for the fun of it.. I mean.. for the FUN of it?! if i ever programmed it was always, always a means to an end, could never and will never be able to wrap my head around coding "for fun". But then again to be able to be that smart, to be able to create virtually whatever you wanted.. damn makes me jealous.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:32 am

Yup. And with Doug Smith, it's also amusing that not only did he not really care much about games, but he also didn't give a monkey's about the Apple II—it was just a machine he used because the person he lived with had one. It makes you realise how random it was that Lode Runner came to be in any format, let alone it becoming an internationally recognised series.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

DRS

Post by DRS » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 am

ncf1 wrote:Apple Panic. Space Panic. Beer Run. Absolutely seminal releases I reckon, perhaps even directly inspiring the beast that became Lode Runner. Well actually I think Beer Run may have been inspired by Miner 2049er, but I am wondering if Space Panic (and later Apple Panic) were advancements of Miner 2049er and Lode Runner was then inspired by Apple / Space Panic? I'm going by memory here, but Apple Panic reminds me so much of Lode Runner, moreso than Miner 2049er and the Apple mags at the time were absolutely nuts about those two especially - Apple Panic and Beer Run - and I wonder how much influence they had on Lode Runner.

or have i completely missed something and have to read up on it again.. which i shall do anyway :D
That game Beer Run was written by Mark Turmell (who did a few other Apple 2 games, notably Sneakers). I've just interviewed him for RG114 and he did talk about his Apple days.. so a bit of love for the old girl there.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:26 pm

i'm losing my patience with this Doug Smith guy, dissing my Apple II like that.. guy should learn some manners! Good lord.. ; )

You're the best DRS, thats frickin great news, I also loved Sneakers, actually played and enjoyed that a lot. Just brilliant hearing the stories behind those old games, glad some of them choose to speak out (cant really understand those that dont .. you ask me about any of the songs I've written and I'll talk about it from now till next week -- even the bad ones. Actually ESPECIALLY the bad ones, more fun!)

Zapper

Post by Zapper » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 am

I absolutely love the diagram with all the Lode Runner entries spread across pages 26-27. It's cool the way it branches off into the Irem and Hudson games. Well done guys :)
An Irish Nintendo fan's blog
http://irishnintendofan.blogspot.com

skinny

Post by skinny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:20 pm

Nice to see my old school friend Barry Leitch finally making it into Retro Gamer. I remember when he was starting out with computer music (the days of the 'Chicken Song' and a rather nice C64 version of 'Bat Out of Hell') then one day he didn't come back to school and the rest is history!