Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NorthWay

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:50 am

I think the Carrier Command front might have made a bigger splash. But Lode Runner is the more iconic game - any alternative drawings that could have been used for it?

carl_retrotext

Post by carl_retrotext » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:05 am

Hi all,

New year and a great start for RG from my perspective. The Type in article compliments the computer history piece from two issues ago, Its a great direction to take the magazine.I hope that more of this type of thing can get featured when possible.It has value.
the Lode Runner article was very informative, this game passed me by but now I will pick up a copy and give it a try.
The Imagitec profile was a real surprise for me as this particular team of programmers were off my radar although reading it I realised I have played more of their games than I thought! the article conveyed the effort and passion that programmers, writers and gamers give for no rock star money.Keep them coming.
PC engine is a system that I knew a bit about but this new angle of dealing with the systems individually did justice to the whole article.

Congratulations on a good issue and keep finding those stories about the 'quieter' aspects of Retro Gamer, its easier to find an article on Nintendo/Sega or a Franchise which is not a completely bad thing, but I am saying keep going the extra mile to find the real interesting stuff, when we can' read about it, its lives on.

Top Issue.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:04 pm

No Iain Lee??!!?! Daaaaaaaamn sucks, that always got me off to a great start, his column always got me chuckling and now its gone, GONE and i have to (probably) frown my way through it all now.

gosh damn it.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:26 am

Probably the least useful issue to me personally (doesn't mean it's bad though) but noticed a couple of printing mistakes, particularly in the SEGA article (which coincidentally was the one article I loved as it was relevant to me!)

PSN username - MartinPhantom

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:17 am

ncf1 wrote:No Iain Lee??!!?! Daaaaaaaamn sucks, that always got me off to a great start, his column always got me chuckling and now its gone, GONE and i have to (probably) frown my way through it all now.

gosh damn it.
Nooooooo! And no Paul Whatsisface from C&VG either. I hope this is only a temporary aberration. If they want to freshen it up a bit, why not get Penn, Rignall or ....er someone else to do a monthly column. But bring back Iain Lee!
Eat my boomstick

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:22 am

ncf1 wrote:No Iain Lee??!!?! Daaaaaaaamn sucks, that always got me off to a great start, his column always got me chuckling and now its gone, GONE and i have to (probably) frown my way through it all now.

gosh damn it.
It's not gone. They will both be back in the next issue.

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:05 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:

gosh damn it.
It's not gone. They will both be back in the next issue.
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Eat my boomstick

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Terrific issue! After my initial tears of utter despair and loss, upon finding out Iain Lee's column will return I rejoiced with my dog laughing and rolling in the field until the sun set.

Lode Runner article was great, really in-depth, top interview because he really shares everything he remembers and with passion, cant get much better than that.

PC Engine, nice read, talk about punching above its weight, just still amazes me that machine existed at a time when home computers like the C64 were figuring out what the hell to do with conversions like Outrun, just still hard to believe there was a machine doing it at the time with ease -- and it didnt even become a world beater. Even now you look at some of those games in awe, a really amazing machine.

I really like reading about the homebrew stuff now, just brilliant that people still program old systems, get the most they can out of them, just love that. Dont know how many projects I started that never got completed, wish I could even get one finished... some day.

still have more to go, was interesting to see how many of the Sega games you Havent Played I'd played, was just over half so that kind of blew me away.. I knew i played games a lot but not THAT much.. time to get out of denial i think.. have to finally admit i have some sort of gaming illness, maybe even the first of its type.. trendsetter i am..

So great work guys once again, I still have a bit more to go, but very much enjoyed what I have read already.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:52 am

Great issue this one, the Carrier Command article was superb, I often wondered why it was not a huge seller, another mishandled game by new owners, and no wonder Realtime pretty much disappeared afterwards, loved the Carrier Command cover, but can understand why it was not used.

Really liked the Laird's piece on Imagitech, a name that has gone under my radar, despite having played and enjoyed masses of their games, I-War in my eyes is a favourite game of mine of the period, and yet another title glossed over when people want to bash the Jaguar and it's library, along with Raiden, which I appreciate more these days since I found out the volume for the music was muted on the cart!
Also Viking child on the Lynx is a delight, as is Xenophobe on the Spectrum, still play this version a fair bit today.

Found the type in article rather interesting, especially as some of the books pictured are up in the attic, not really interested in giving them a go to be honest though!

The PC Engine piece was excellent, but it might have been worth adding a few more games into the mix.

Really great piece on Shahid Ahmad, another puzzle in the Ultimate story filled in, on how Nightshade came to be on the C64, and why Knight Lore and Alien 8 did not, fascinating.
I also really liked Chimera at the time, and have a couple of his C16 games too, to think he wrote these in a couple of days is mind boggling, very talented guy.

Did read this one from cover to cover, not always the case, as obviously there are going to be articles that hold no interest, not this month though.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 am

adippm82 wrote: Really liked the Laird's piece on Imagitec, a name that has gone under my radar, despite having played and enjoyed masses of their games, I-War in my eyes is a favourite game of mine of the period, and yet another title glossed over when people want to bash the Jaguar and it's library, along with Raiden, which I appreciate more these days since I found out the volume for the music was muted on the cart!
Also Viking child on the Lynx is a delight, as is Xenophobe on the Spectrum, still play this version a fair bit today.
Glad you liked it :)

The listing was actually slightly misleading as Imagitec handled all the home computer ports of Xenophobe, not just the Spectrum one. I actually managed to get an MP3 file from Barry Leitch of his original recording of the music, that was included on the extra audio tape you got with the game, and I uploaded it to You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfGsPJmVKv8

It was made using 4 Commodore Amiga computers playing in unison! Barry was telling me how they had to build a special machine to press the play key on each Amiga at the same time because everytime they tried it by hand they were slightly out!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:23 am

Only had a quick skim through, but did enjoy the Lode Runner article. Loved the boxout about level editors (and great to see Halo 3 get some recognition for the brill Forge mode). I know you guys have done a SEUCK article before, but would the idea of covering this topic in more detail have any legs? Would really like to read more about it. :)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 am

Interesting stuff on Carrier Command. The PC Engine was interesting as well. The Rampart article was also good. I also liked the Imagitec article by the Laird, as I didn't really know much about the company.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:33 am

Personal opinion and all that, but one of the poorest issues for a very long time
With the exception of the "listings" article and the PC Engine piece, nothing else interested me.
:cry:

Roll on next month!

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 pm

stvd wrote:Personal opinion and all that, but one of the poorest issues for a very long time
With the exception of the "listings" article and the PC Engine piece, nothing else interested me.
:cry:

Roll on next month!
Sorry, there's a real difference between an issue being "poor" and "I have no interest in what's in it".
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 pm

merman wrote:Sorry, there's a real difference between an issue being "poor" and "I have no interest in what's in it".
Hmmmm, really?

If I change the post to say "Excellent issue but I had no interest in any of it", that would be silly.