Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

The Laird

Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 am

I got my copy this morning and I have to say that I can't remember the last time I was looking forward to reading an issue this much, there is so much amazing content in it!

I will post more thoughts when I have read it in full but for now here is Darran's preview video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Up14NHGTkM

psj3809

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 111 - Feedback Thread

Post by psj3809 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 am

Can see why you might love the issue so much Laird ! ;) Just watched the video (Bit of neckache after tilting my head for 10 minutes ;).

Doesnt seem the best issue for me personally but often the articles sway my view once i've read them. Looking forward to the piece on type in listings. Those were the days, spending hours and hours typing in some game which then doesnt work ! Or once it does you're disappointing as you're a question mark trying to dodge asterisks on screen or something ! Those were the days !

Hopefully get my issue soon though !

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:25 am

Got mine from Smiths today at it looks great. Really looking forward to reading the PC Engine feature but not looking forward to further temptation to buy one of the damn things when I have no room for it :lol:

I also picked up the Atari bookazine while I was there :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:27 am

Not recieved mine yet... had a look in Smiths... the type-in pages are so ugly...YUCK... and they missed Nibblers out on the Vic 20... one of the best type ins ever...

rest looks good though.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Got mine today, looks really good.
Looking forward to spending some time reading it.

Never played Carrier Command or Lode Runner, but will enjoy being educated about them.
Will post more detailed feedback when I've actually read it, and have something constructive to add.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Mine arrived today too. Still in its wrapper - will wait till Monday and a day off before I get stuck in :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:23 pm

Interesting Lode Runner article, wonder which was first, Suicide or Space Panic, both 1980. Space Panic was released, did Suicide see a release. I used to have approx 100 Pet games, I don't remember that one

Syntesis

Post by Syntesis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:21 pm

I liked the PC Engine feature but like nearly all Retro Gamer system features it left me unsatisfied. Ultimately I think the games are the star of the show and just giving quick top 5s of well known games (R-Type again?) is really threadbare. Having the same feature but with say, 10 pages of additional coverage dedicated to the actual games with lots of screenshots would have been really fun to pour over.

I didn't see the point in a feature on Dave Perry without an interview.

The Dizzy kickstarter article was a bit... pointless given that the Kickstarter was going to end two weeks after subscribers got their copies. The Twins threw in the towel on the 12th. I assume that December issues get submitted much earlier than others so it's understandable but it still felt a bit weird. If you can get an interview with the twins next month to discuss the failed Kickstarter and their future plans for Dizzy, I think that would be an interesting read.

Overall much better than last month's issue. The Sega and Warcraft articles were really nice.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:40 pm

Great issue, loads of early 8/16 bit content, my favourite issue for at least a year. Love type-ins and From the archives plus PC Engine and lots of other stuff. Well done all involved!!n :D

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:22 am

Can't believe Royal Mail are so pants. Still not got mine yet others have? I mean come on, it's not Christmas anymore, not bank holiday, what gives?

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 am

Cracking start to the new year. Damien's PC Engine article was very informative, the 20 Sega games list had several I've never played and the Making of Rampart shed new light on an unusual arcade game. But the star (and rightly given a stylish cover - loving the price sticker!) was Craig's outstanding Lode Runner piece. I even forgive the copy & paste error in the history list (Lode Runner Deluxe from 2006 has the text from Miner repeated) because I felt it gave an excellent insight into how the game worked without being too technical.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:44 am

anyone remember Beer Run? Apple Panic? I was playing them those there before I even know what a Lode Runner was.. havent got the mag yet, wonder how brushed up they are on their homework :wink:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Interesting Lode Runner article, wonder which was first, Suicide or Space Panic, both 1980. Space Panic was released, did Suicide see a release. I used to have approx 100 Pet games, I don't remember that one
According to James, Suicide was just a game he made for himself and his friends, and it was never released in any professional manner (but then relatively few games were back then). I got the impression Space Panic was probably the arcade game his friend was trying to explain, but James never knew what the inspiration for Suicide was, and he pretty rapidly went off on his own path anyway.

@merman: Thanks for the kind words. I think Stuart did the history DPS. Not read through that myself yet.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Read the Type-ins section before I went to work tonight. Absolutely brilliant! :D :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:32 pm

I've read most of the mag and, as usual, it is enjoyable to read. I didn't like the cover much, as it is quite dull.. but it's ok. The Carrier Command one was much nicer, but the game is less well known.

I have enjoyed the Imagitec article the most so far.

The Kickstarter Dizzy thing was a waste of time as it was obvious it would run out before publication, and they were nowhere near their target, so it was a clear no go from the offset.

One thing that personally peeves me is these 'things to do before you die', ;things you've never played / done' articles. The SEGA one in this months article being one. I have played 14 of the games in the list (admittedly some are very obscure). So maybe a title such as '20 Sega games many of you won't have played' or '20 Sega games you may have missed' would be more apt. :wink:

One thing I noted - in Arcade Unconverted, why was there no mention of the GAME ROOM version of Trick Trap? Bring mentioned in the mag could have got a few of us back on there to play it, and newcomers to buy it there.

Otherwise, an enjoyable read as usual, but maybe not as good as the last few months (IMO).