Rally Speedway article in 111

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
DeadZoo
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 am
Location: Dublin,Ireland.

Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by DeadZoo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:34 am

Hey! been flicking through 111 and its great so far (any kind of Sega love is great!).
Theres a decent article on rally speedway. , but one thing bugged me, its listed as a C64 game ,
but its actually an Atari 8 bit game that was ported to c64.
It was published by Adventure International in the US , and the C64 port was sold by Commodore International.
The poor oul' Atari gets so little recognition these days that I felt I had to mention it!
I spent way too much time on Rally Speedway on the Atari 800Xl with my brother as a kid , and I actually have some footage of it in action here: http://youtu.be/m1CEpLB1nuM (its an early vid from me , so coughs and glitches abound!, footage kicks in about 4 mins in, editor at about 9).
(there was actually some nice comments from John Anderson there a while back , but oddly they seem to be gone today!)
Anyway thanks for covering the game , as regardless of what format its played on its a cracker!
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18738
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 am

Tease !

Theres no issue 111 thread yet, please give us a teaser and tell all of us who dont have the issue what its like, main stories, cover etc!

User avatar
DeadZoo
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 am
Location: Dublin,Ireland.

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by DeadZoo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 pm

psj3809 wrote:Tease !

Theres no issue 111 thread yet, please give us a teaser and tell all of us who dont have the issue what its like, main stories, cover etc!
Damn! now that is odd, I didnt realise I nabbed a copy early.(seeing as I've just bought it from my local (Ireland) newsagents , I figured it'd been out a bit.) Anyhoo I'm looking at a Lode Runner tastic issue , with some lovely Sega games you havent played/Rampart based goodness(as well as lots more)
Image

User avatar
necronom
Posts: 5648
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by necronom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I used to play Rally Speedway lots on my C64. It was great, as you could make your own tracks. I had a tape (or was it a disk?) full of them.
Image
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

User avatar
Hitman_HalStep
Posts: 2291
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:21 pm
Location: so near and yet so far

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:28 pm

i picked up issue 111 today from my local newsagent,i thought it was strange there's no feedback thread yet.
Image
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

User avatar
Scapegoat
Posts: 1219
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:06 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:55 pm

DeadZoo wrote:Hey! been flicking through 111 and its great so far (any kind of Sega love is great!).
Theres a decent article on rally speedway. , but one thing bugged me, its listed as a C64 game ,
but its actually an Atari 8 bit game that was ported to c64.
It was published by Adventure International in the US , and the C64 port was sold by Commodore International.
The poor oul' Atari gets so little recognition these days that I felt I had to mention it!
I spent way too much time on Rally Speedway on the Atari 800Xl with my brother as a kid , and I actually have some footage of it in action here: http://youtu.be/m1CEpLB1nuM (its an early vid from me , so coughs and glitches abound!, footage kicks in about 4 mins in, editor at about 9).
(there was actually some nice comments from John Anderson there a while back , but oddly they seem to be gone today!)
Anyway thanks for covering the game , as regardless of what format its played on its a cracker!
I share your annoyance, there seems to be a sub-set of c64 fans that like to pretend the A8 didn't exist (Lemon 64 website being the worst example, never listing the Atari 800 on the list of converted systems, even if it originated on there). In this case though I'm sure it's a simple oversight, RG's Atari 8-bit coverage has always been reasonable.
HADDOCKEN!
Image

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by The Laird » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i picked up issue 111 today from my local newsagent,i thought it was strange there's no feedback thread yet.
And us subs don't have it yet, very strange!!! :shock:

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 8994
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:15 pm

must be the time of year, see the imagine website says street date tomorrow
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
the_hawk
Posts: 5843
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:25 pm
Contact:

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Must be to do with Xmas post I guess.

in any case I'm still a couple if issues behind in spite of reading 3 issues this month.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

kleinemaus
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:29 am

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by kleinemaus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 am

DeadZoo wrote:Hey! been flicking through 111 and its great so far (any kind of Sega love is great!).
Theres a decent article on rally speedway. , but one thing bugged me, its listed as a C64 game ,
but its actually an Atari 8 bit game that was ported to c64.
It was published by Adventure International in the US , and the C64 port was sold by Commodore International.
The poor oul' Atari gets so little recognition these days that I felt I had to mention it!
I spent way too much time on Rally Speedway on the Atari 800Xl with my brother as a kid , and I actually have some footage of it in action here: http://youtu.be/m1CEpLB1nuM (its an early vid from me , so coughs and glitches abound!, footage kicks in about 4 mins in, editor at about 9).
(there was actually some nice comments from John Anderson there a while back , but oddly they seem to be gone today!)
Anyway thanks for covering the game , as regardless of what format its played on its a cracker!
They keep doing this, it's not the first time I've encountered this. Bad research I presume. Even when a game is an Apple ][ original they get it wrong saying it's a C64 game.
They should have an erratum in the following issue.

Worst was the Hardware issue number 1, it was about so-called classic systems, and it didn't even feature A8 nor A][? WTF?????

One more time, the A8 was Europe's second most sold import computer after C64, why always mention MSX?

But they made good with the A8 bookazine.
Last edited by kleinemaus on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:05 am, edited 4 times in total.

psj3809
Posts: 18738
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by psj3809 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 am

Ideally you want this right but i must admit its not a 'showstopper' for me

User avatar
kelp7
Posts: 678
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:18 am
Location: East Devon

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by kelp7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:41 am

The Laird wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:i picked up issue 111 today from my local newsagent,i thought it was strange there's no feedback thread yet.
And us subs don't have it yet, very strange!!! :shock:
Not that strange. Xmas post will have screwed everything up. Whereas newsagents etc will get their usual van delivery of magazines to stock their shelves with presumably...
MZ-80A Secrets
http://mz-80a.com

User avatar
Stuart@retrogamer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:05 am

No conspiracy - said article is a retrorevival (a nostalgic look back at a memorable game), the C64 version is the one I played so it's the version I wrote about.

User avatar
DeadZoo
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 am
Location: Dublin,Ireland.

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by DeadZoo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:No conspiracy - said article is a retrorevival (a nostalgic look back at a memorable game), the C64 version is the one I played so it's the version I wrote about.
hey dont worry I didnt reckon it was anything sinister! (and I definitely dont think its any "lets ignore one format over another").
The Atari one is the one I played myself , and I've always thought of it AS an Atari game (cough cos it is ;)).
Image

User avatar
CraigGrannell
Posts: 4734
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:15 am
Contact:

Re: Rally Speedway article in 111

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 am

DeadZoo wrote:Anyhoo I'm looking at a Lode Runner tastic issue
Incidentally, anyone wondering about the mobile version of Lode Runner, the URL for some reason wasn't included in the edit—it's http://www.loderunnerclassic.com

The iOS/Android versions were supposed to be live in October, but I've been told there was a delay and they're now imminent. The Windows Phone release is already live, however.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: skinny and 1 guest