RG Atari bookazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fawltykog

Re: RG Atari bookazine

Post by Fawltykog » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:17 am

Got this delight today in WH Smiffy's gave me a woody fair to say :shock:

Falt "i'll get me coat" Kog :arrow:

Eric

Post by Eric » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Mayhem wrote: Yeah, I need to think of more Vic20 articles to write heh. Still, a Vic20 bookazine would still probably sell more than an Amstrad one :P
Oh no it won't. :!: :D
bounty bob wrote:The best bookazine by far. Totally loved the way it was compiled, was like a brand new read on the history of Atari. Was the best Christmas present I got this year, it even made me get the old woody out of the attic and play a few of the old games. Kids thought I was crazy. "dad, is that what games looked like in the olden days?"
This is what Retro games is about, nice tale bounty bob.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:58 pm

Arrived today. Take a bow guys, your hard work has paid off, fabulous Bookazine! More of the same please! :wink:

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Does this bookazine include the entire contents (or part?) of the issues #103 Atari material? I have that issue, and I wondering how much will be redundant. Thanks!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Mauricio wrote:Does this bookazine include the entire contents (or part?) of the issues #103 Atari material? I have that issue, and I wondering how much will be redundant. Thanks!
It's all stuff from earlier issues with a new design

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:51 am

I have sat down this morning and looked through the Atari Bookazine, it is a fascinating read especially the Jaguar part. I do not know why I have never owned a Jaguar. Back in the day I had a 3DO and a Snes so didn't bother with it, since then it's just not appealed to me, until now that is I am desperate to own one.
So I will be doing my best to get one hopefully as cheap as chips, superb magazine as usual 8)
"Time fades even legend..."

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:51 pm

ZXSabreman wrote:I have sat down this morning and looked through the Atari Bookazine, it is a fascinating read especially the Jaguar part. I do not know why I have never owned a Jaguar. Back in the day I had a 3DO and a Snes so didn't bother with it, since then it's just not appealed to me, until now that is I am desperate to own one.
So I will be doing my best to get one hopefully as cheap as chips, superb magazine as usual 8)
Must say I agree, if I get the chance to get a Jag I will grab it! :)

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:47 am

kiwimike wrote:
ZXSabreman wrote:I have sat down this morning and looked through the Atari Bookazine, it is a fascinating read especially the Jaguar part. I do not know why I have never owned a Jaguar. Back in the day I had a 3DO and a Snes so didn't bother with it, since then it's just not appealed to me, until now that is I am desperate to own one.
Must say I agree, if I get the chance to get a Jag I will grab it! :)
The mag has certainly sold one to me mate, I have to have one a bit sad considering i'm 42 years old but what can you do, been checking ebay out but not sure what a good price is for one. The sad thing is I remember about ten or so years ago GAME had a load of boxed Jaguars plus games on the shelves. Surplus stock that had been found they said, the consoles were £29.99 if I remember correctly the games around the £5-£10 mark.
Even then they didn't appeal to me, flippin gutted I am but hey how I shall have one some how
"Time fades even legend..."

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:53 am

Well to be fair The Laird is probably your best bet for Jaguar advice. He's probably sitting on about 100 :lol:

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:48 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well to be fair The Laird is probably your best bet for Jaguar advice. He's probably sitting on about 100 :lol:
Ah so they can be used as furniture then.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:19 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Well to be fair The Laird is probably your best bet for Jaguar advice. He's probably sitting on about 100 :lol:
Nope I only have 1 actually, don't see the point in owning multiple consoles. I do get asked if I have a spare one to sell quite often though so I wish I did have a big stockpile.

I can certainly give some advice about Jag collecting though, it's an interesting machine to collect for because there are loads of quirky things like unfinished prototypes, demos and cool homebrews out there. But be warned though that its a very expensive console to collect for. The Jag's best games can be quite expensive and there are a few real rarities that have been known to go for around £1000. It's a highly sought after machine these days, expect to pay £50+ just for an unboxed one. It's far from being the best console in the world (contrary to what some people believe I think) but it has some exclusives that are the best games of its era in my opinion. The biggest problem is that 90% of people out there have never heard of its best games, let alone played them. Titles like Missile Command 3D, Zero 5, Skyhammer, Protector: SE, Super Burnout, Battle Morph, Hover Strike, I-War and Ruiner Pinball are utterly fantastic and show the system off at its best. You might want to take a look HERE as a good place to start :)

tachi

Post by tachi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 am

I have read about 3/4 of the book now and love the 7800 game reviews...I honestly never knew so many games existed across 7800 and 800xl! I will definitely have to pick one up!
One little thing, I never understood how a book or magazine can be read by so many people prior to printing and publishing and yet a typo like on Page 115 (Combat: Paragraph 1 "Srely this can't be some sort of coincidence?") can be missed?
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm

tachi wrote:I never understood how a book or magazine can be read by so many people prior to printing and publishing and yet a typo like on Page 115 (Combat: Paragraph 1 "Srely this can't be some sort of coincidence?") can be missed?
'So many people' being about 2. Its a typo rather than a factual inaccuracy so does it really matter? All it takes is one accidental keypress at any time before it hits the printer for something like this to slip through and the sheer volume of content pumped out every month by a very small team makes proofreading a relatively low priority task I reckon.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Picked up a copy this weekend, a really fabulously put together bookazine, that everyone involved should be proud of, and always good to see my 7800 in print.

When all these Atari articles are in one cohesive package, it is striking how many good machines and games came out, I do not consider myself an Atari aficionado, but all I am really missing is an Atari 8 bit computer, yes they made mistakes, but their legacy is clear throughout this book.

It now sits alongside the Spectrum/C64 one for future dabblings.

Bods

Post by Bods » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:13 am

Sorry to Bring up and old thread

I was bored the other weekend while I had no jobs at work, popped in the Services and had a look round WH Smiths and seen this Atari Special, had a scan through and thought I have to have it. So many interesting things in there

One of the things was Paperboy Arcade, as I have the machine I'm always interested on the making of it, such a fun game and the guy I'm working with at the moment is from the USA and was telling me that it's just like how they delivered the papers over there. Have quite alot of Atari arcade machines and like most, had a 2600 VCS and played on my friends 800XL

I thought the book was old, but pleased they still had a few copies

Superb work gone into it and about half way through now, so if you see it anywhere, get it if your an Atari fan :D

Just Joined the site, I have had a couple of my machines in RG and you will probably see more of them

Cheers
Chris