From the Forum question for issue 22

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the Forum question for issue 22

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:14 am

Crikey, another month has rolled around already...

Anyway, this month we want to know who your favourite developers and why.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:23 am

Mine would have to be Ocean. I know they go stuck in the rot of big money movie lisences and released one or two truly awful games, but I did get the chance to tour their offices and see behind the scenes of how games get made. Also had a good few hours in their Arcade with all the machines on Free-play.

So just for the fact that I am a Manchester lad and they were local, and because of the memories of my visit I will choose Ocean.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:34 am

From ye olden days, I'd probably have to go for Llamasoft, simply because Jeff was always true to himself and always tried to put an original spin on things (well, at least until the post-16-bit era). Plus, most of the Llamasoft games were utterly brilliant (in my humble opinion!).
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:40 am

Level 9 Computing, mainly because they introduced me to the wonderful world of adventure gaming back in the 1980's. I have very fond memories of playing their games & discussing them with my school chums. I used to get a new adventure game at the start of my holidays & they always lasted well into the new school terms.

Questor

Post by Questor » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:46 am

From the old old days then it'd have to be Ultimate, Jet Pac, Cookie, Sabre Wulf et al, absolute classics, and impossible to beat - Then they became Rare, and a bit hit and miss.

More recently (16 bit era) then probably either the Bitmap Brothers (Chaos Engine is one of my fave all time games, and Speedball 2 - need I say more) or perhaps Bullfrog at their heyday, Syndicate was another highly original concept (If you discount the fact it was actually Blade Runner crossed with Risk!)

My overall feel is that any developer who comes up with something original and out of the ordinary will generally have a good following among gamers who know games, casual gamers might ignore them, which is why we're seeing fewer and fewer original ideas nowadays (Hello EA I'm talking to you!!)

Duddyroar

Post by Duddyroar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:21 am

Aye. You can't really argue with Ultimate/Rare. They really did seem a class above at the time, and they had an aura similar to that of The Clash - for a while, it did seem like they were the only developer that mattered!

Other classic developers from back in the day include Bullfrog (before they sold out to EA), Argonaut (Starglider was truly stunning at the time) and Melbourne House (thankfully still going strong).

More recently Sega, Capcom, Konami and Treasure have all become firm faves of mine (mainly through the console influence, obviously).

romanista

Post by romanista » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:00 am

Sensible Software, their streak from Mega-Lo-Mania via Sensi to Cannon Fodder, covers about my who Amiga Period, (we'll forget about sensible gold then) and is without equal in my view.

Currently: Treasure, Q (Mizuguchi)
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:06 am

Thalamus... Always seemed like every game they touched turned to gold. Hawkeye being one of the first games I had played by them, and was instantly blown away by it. Looking back it wasn't their greatest (being only around 9 at the time of first playing it), but they had plenty to warrent being one of the greats (Creatures 1&2, Delta, Armalyte etc).
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

helloall

Post by helloall » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:26 am

I always liked Thalion - They made some superb Amiga games - No second prize and Lionheart spring to mind - The production values where superb, pushing the Amiga to its limits whilst making very playable and memorable games.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:13 am

I note here that some suggestions so far have been more publishers than developers. Just to get people to think more.

It's hard not to have Vid Kidz (Jarvis and DeMar) up at the top... Defender, Stargate, Robotron anyone? Three absolute classics there. Plus Blaster which was a lot of fun but hardly got out there.

After that, notable mentions have to go to Jeff Minter, Treasure, DMA Design (Lemmings and now GTA), Sonic Team and the Rowland brothers (aka Apex).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:18 am

Mastertronic - I could never really afford full-price games as a kid, and their releases were a godsend. Okay so a few of the C64 games could be a bit average, but compared to other budget companies, Mastertronic were the best!

golgo13

Post by golgo13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:22 am

Its hard to choose but I would say Ocean as there was a period of superb arcade conversions such as Rainbow Islands, Operation Wolf and Renagade for the Speccy. But then Craftgold and Imagine where good developers and Ocean was really just a publishing house.

But then Nintendo have produced lots of fantastic games (and still do) so does Square. Konami produces lots of good games on the SNES to.
Crown the wise, harness the talented and cherish the lucky.

Morkin

Re:

Post by Morkin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:30 am

Mayhem wrote:I note here that some suggestions so far have been more publishers than developers. Just to get people to think more.

I'm ok with Level 9, aren't I ? :?

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:30 am

Well, I don't know about developers but I can tell you who my favourite publisher is - KOEI!

Although they're one of the older companies on the scene I haven't really begun to appreciate them until recently. What I love about them is they're always bothering to localise really obscure and niche Japanese games. I love them for not giving up on us PAL gamers despite the fact that I'm convinced they can't be making a profit on titles like G1 Jockey and Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I'm not even sure how well Dynasty Warriors sells but they keep releasing them anyway. Without them I'd have no Disgaea or Dynasty Tactics or Kessen 2.

I LOVE KOEI :D :D :D :D

But they're not developers, so I'll have to give it some thought.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:43 am

LeeT wrote:Mastertronic - I could never really afford full-price games as a kid, and their releases were a godsend. Okay so a few of the C64 games could be a bit average, but compared to other budget companies, Mastertronic were the best!
And of course since they own Sold Out amongst others they're still the best source for cheap quality gamage :D

Dungeon Keeper 2!
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com