Jordan Mechner: In the Chair

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CrookieMonster

Jordan Mechner: In the Chair

Post by CrookieMonster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:25 am

We have Jordan Mechner lined up In The Chair. Do you have any questions you would like to put to him? :D

David Crookes

merman

Re: Jordan Mechner: In the Chair

Post by merman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 am

As a film maker, what are your favourite examples of storytelling in games?

How deeply involved were you personally with conversions of your early games to other formats - for example, porting Karateka to the Commodore 64?

Are there any unfinished or unseen projects you can reveal?

Would you have ever go back to making games on old hardware, just for the challenge of making your ideas work?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 am

What is the correct pronounciation for Kareteka?
I've heard Jordan call it Kara-Teeka in interviews and this aligns with the US TV ad for it. In turn, some US players (like RetroGaming Radio/Retro Gamer's Shane R Monroe) have followed that example.
Everyone else I've heard pronounces it Karate-Ka, since this matches our known use of the Karate prefix.

Was Prince of Persia the movie successful enough for a sequel to be considered? As one of the better game to movie adaptations I'd like to see it revisited.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 am

Did Prince of Persia ever had a more lax attitude to death in the original game design, or was it always a harsh one life existence from the start?

Is there any other source code you're missing that you'd like to track down?

With the conversion of Prince of Persia to the C64, is there any other format you'd like to see the game on that currently doesn't have a version? ;)
Antiriad2097 wrote:What is the correct pronounciation for Kareteka?
I've always pronounced with no emphasis on any syllable, so kah-rah-teh-kah.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:32 am

If Mechner is getting the chair does he get a last request? Is it fair to badger him with questions?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:33 pm

No question really, I just still dont know how you managed to make Karateka on the Apple II, that game just blew my mind at the time.. fitting that game onto, what - 48k or perhaps it even ran on 16k systems (?), simply genius, just on another level. I dont know how many times I ran into those spikes, could never figure out how to get past that bit.. taught me how to swear as a child.. :wink:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 pm

Can we please get more of the new Prince, but in the style of the first game without the fighting? I loved the solidity and environment use, but the fighting was so-so. Or do you not have much influence over the character use any longer?
Happy with the film? I thought it was rather good.

You moved to Europe for a while; any cultural differences (in general or computing/games) that struck you that we might not think of on a day-to-day basis?

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 pm

ncf1 wrote:No question really, I just still dont know how you managed to make Karateka on the Apple II, that game just blew my mind at the time.. fitting that game onto, what - 48k or perhaps it even ran on 16k systems (?), simply genius, just on another level. I dont know how many times I ran into those spikes, could never figure out how to get past that bit.. taught me how to swear as a child.. :wink:
Oh man, that had me so frustrated as a kid. Turns out you have to nudge your way over so that you're really close to the gate - but not moving. Then the spikes will drop - and you can run through when they go back up.

Tabe

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am

ask him what he thought of the absolute sh1t remake of Karateka that came out on XBLA recently.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:36 pm

Any news of a sequel to the Prince Of Persia movie? Loved the first one....best swashbuckler in years!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:00 pm

How did you determine how much time to give the player to complete the original POP?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"