Retro Gamer Issue 110 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

CraigGrannell

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 110 Official Feedback

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 am

RitmanRovers wrote:Never played a Minter game, but really enjoyed that article.
Glad you enjoyed the piece, but please rectify that first point, especially bearing in mind Jeff gives away most of his old games for free on the Llamasoft website: http://minotaurproject.co.uk/softography.php

(Also, the iOS games which he's released—and which are slowly also coming out for OS X, PC and Android—are also very much worth exploring. I'm particularly enjoying Gridrunner, Minotron and Five A Day at the moment, and GoatUp is also a lot of fun.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:25 am

Just finished reading it from cover to cover , best issue for ages , not that others were poor or anything , each and every issue is good in its own way , but the tribute to mike singleton , swos feature and the familar reviews , news and interviews made it stand out.
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:52 pm

In the Retro Rated section you review Retro City Rampage and it says that it's available on Vita and I really want it on the Vita but every time I check on the PSstore it's not there and this makes me really sad and it's RG's fault that i'm really sad because you said it's available but it's not... :(
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:38 pm

gman72 wrote:In the Retro Rated section you review Retro City Rampage and it says that it's available on Vita and I really want it on the Vita but every time I check on the PSstore it's not there and this makes me really sad and it's RG's fault that i'm really sad because you said it's available but it's not... :(
It was supposed to be out as we went to press. It's in the US, so it shouldn't be long.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:00 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:(Also, the iOS games which he's released—and which are slowly also coming out for OS X, PC and Android—are also very much worth exploring. I'm particularly enjoying Gridrunner, Minotron and Five A Day at the moment, and GoatUp is also a lot of fun.)
This is WONDERFUL news! The Minotaur Project games are the one thing I really miss about my iPhone.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Latest issue? I'm strangely nonplussed by this one, I've had a brief flick through but nothing has grabbed me as it stands. More likely that's due to far too many distractions and even less spare time than normal rather than due to crap content, I hope.

Still, I've never had "retro gamer block" before.

Eat your nans pants

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 am

the_hawk wrote:This is WONDERFUL news! The Minotaur Project games are the one thing I really miss about my iPhone.
Mm. It'll be interesting to see how the games fare on Android, and I suspect that'll have a bearing on how many get ported in future, so tell all your friends! (Or something.)

Jeff's also currently working on GoatUp 2, which is looking really very nice indeed. (Think GoatUp dynamics + Manic Miner + Rainbow Islands + gravity flipping + a level editor—all for the price of a 1980s budget game. We really are spoiled these days on mobile.)
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

eightbitter

Post by eightbitter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 am

Haven't had time to read it all yet, but am enjoying the LucasArts interview immensely. 8) Those guys are responsible for my all-time favourite games!

Really looking forward to reading lots of wonderful wierdness about legendary cool dude Jeff Minter. :mrgreen:

Also, Bullfrog and The Music Men looks interesting.

All in all, looks like a good issue! Cheers!

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:52 am

Issue just arrived, the cover's blue looks a bit darker than how it looked in the photo, which makes the cover better. Good one.

The SWOS and the musicians articles look very interesting, just read the first pages for now but I'm pretty sure Capcom's 1942 wasn't released in 1994 :P

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:48 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:In the Retro Rated section you review Retro City Rampage and it says that it's available on Vita and I really want it on the Vita but every time I check on the PSstore it's not there and this makes me really sad and it's RG's fault that i'm really sad because you said it's available but it's not... :(
It was supposed to be out as we went to press. It's in the US, so it shouldn't be long.
They also said it was available on XBLA, it isn't yet, although when it does get released it is supposed to be an updated version that corrects some of the problems from the 1st release.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:11 am

OK, I only just noticed that the Christmas games are scattered around in a random order like an advent calendar (except advent calendars never have a 25, which I think is always a fiddle). But what I want to know is, what game are the monochrome sprites on the third page from? They don't seem to match any of the games. Is it from the Speccy version of the Official Father Christmas game? The reindeer certainly looks like a better sprite than any of the games actually listed.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 am

Got my copy delivered yesterday (after a little muck up by Imagine.... but swiftly sorted by the wonderful Lucy :D :wink: )

Had a flick through and all looks fine and dandy - will have a read later.
Quite like the cover - even if it isn't Christmas themed........
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:32 pm

joefish wrote:OK, I only just noticed that the Christmas games are scattered around in a random order like an advent calendar (except advent calendars never have a 25, which I think is always a fiddle). But what I want to know is, what game are the monochrome sprites on the third page from? They don't seem to match any of the games. Is it from the Speccy version of the Official Father Christmas game? The reindeer certainly looks like a better sprite than any of the games actually listed.
Actually some advent calendars do have 25. My daughter's both have one with an extra chocolate in this year :P

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:36 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
joefish wrote:OK, I only just noticed that the Christmas games are scattered around in a random order like an advent calendar (except advent calendars never have a 25, which I think is always a fiddle). But what I want to know is, what game are the monochrome sprites on the third page from? They don't seem to match any of the games. Is it from the Speccy version of the Official Father Christmas game? The reindeer certainly looks like a better sprite than any of the games actually listed.
Actually some advent calendars do have 25. My daughter's both have one with an extra chocolate in this year :P
As a kid I once had one that also had a countdown to New Year section with chocolates leading up to (and including) New Years day :) . What a greedy bast I was :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:52 pm

joefish wrote: But what I want to know is, what game are the monochrome sprites on the third page from? They don't seem to match any of the games. Is it from the Speccy version of the Official Father Christmas game? The reindeer certainly looks like a better sprite than any of the games actually listed.
Close, they're from the CPC version.