Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:05 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
markopoloman wrote:... Think I'll be saving the Kirby one till last though.... Never played it as I've always thought they were girls games :lol: and so glad they didn't use that awful Kirby cover!!!!! :shock:
Quoted for awesomeness! Well said, sir. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I think I'd be more comfortable walking out with a copy of Razzle and hide that cover in a brown paper bag :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 pm

markopoloman wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
markopoloman wrote:... Think I'll be saving the Kirby one till last though.... Never played it as I've always thought they were girls games :lol: and so glad they didn't use that awful Kirby cover!!!!! :shock:
Quoted for awesomeness! Well said, sir. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I think I'd be more comfortable walking out with a copy of Razzle and hide that cover in a brown paper bag :lol:
Razzle, you say? I say that pink coloured Kirby alternative front cover looks like it'd compliment a copy of Attitude magazine rather well. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:18 pm

Well I'd reckon that would have been my favourite issue just about. There might have been one other issue that titillated my uh.. bits that are able to be titillated, but I dont remember it. So this one for me I'd say takes the cake and snaffles the raffle.

These are the bits I liked, starting with the cover :

Cracking cover, one of the best. I never had a spectrum but dont care, it really encapsulated 8-bit glory, so immediately my interest was piqued and quite ready to be further piqued.

The Ultimate Years was a top read, again I dont and never had a Spectrum but doesnt matter, if you're a fan of just any gaming system like me (excepting those dreadful red-headed step children in the TRS-80 and the Vic-20 but I'll go easy on the Vic, Tramiel was a legend), you'll lap it up regardless. But it was tremendously presented and well written.

Cheap As Chips, I do like how its been extended a bit, and of course Barbarian was a great place to start with it.

The Tetris bit was a great read, inspiring stuff, and the sentence "if you want something in this life, sometimes you must forget all your achievements" if one to remember, burnt right into my memory bank, and I probably even shed a tear, I dont remember.

Point Blank, I thought well this is probably going to be a bit crap but good heavens no, what a great interview, the Japanese programmer was really entertaining, and it was a great read. I didnt shed any tears with this bit though.

Cascade Games, I loved this article, fascinating story and I found the Cassette 50 part especially interesting, indeed I am trying to create a few products myself that are more or less style over substance, or more accurately rabidly so, and hopefully I can achieve it one day. Blew my mind that those guys were making over a million pounds at one stage, I can remember steering clear of most of their games at the time because I thought they were pretty much crap!

The Jack Tramiel piece very effectively condensed the Commodore story down to a few pages, I read the tome about the whole Commodore saga a couple of years back, and Marty Goldberg did a most commendable job summing it up as well as he did. Oh - and I did see the rather naughty QWANKY C64 keyboard, or was that in the Back To The Eighties section, oh yes I think it was. Tsk tsk...

Back To Black I thought would be tedious but hell no, it worked brilliantly, splitting it up like that and this kind of innovation just, as I mentioned previously floats my boat and pushes all my buttons no end.

The Eugene Evans interview was probably my favourite of all, the whole Psyclapse and Bandersnatch "mystery" and the disk with some possible gameplay on it just made me just about froth with anticipation for further revelations.

Homebrew was solid, the Mailbag page was rather disappointing though, good heavens why cant people write in some more interesting things, where's Matthew Lightbourne when you need him, things need to be spiced up here.

And Iain Lee's first paragraph was classic, I couldnt agree more - although I'm not sure which item was meant to be smoked and which was to be.. well, yes.

Overall a cracking, smashing read, well done guys, just really on top of your game right now I have to say. Yes, I will say it was my favourite issue.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:26 am

ncf1 wrote:Cascade Games, I loved this article, fascinating story and I found the Cassette 50 part especially interesting, indeed I am trying to create a few products myself that are more or less style over substance, or more accurately rabidly so, and hopefully I can achieve it one day. Blew my mind that those guys were making over a million pounds at one stage, I can remember steering clear of most of their games at the time because I thought they were pretty much crap!
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. They did a few decent games on the C64 (ACE was, erm, ace).

If you want to know more on Cassette 50 I did a making of it in issue 2 of Pixel nation http://www.pixel-nation.co.uk
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 am

Issue arrived a couple of days ago... just started reading it, I can say it's been a while since I liked the "final" cover better than the others... I generally like one of the discarded ones more 8)

Very nice cover indeed, I like it even if I'm not very fond of black rubbish... ahem, rubber computers that emit horrible sounds and tend to get scared whenever there are more than two colours around :lol:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:17 am

Hiro wrote:Very nice cover indeed, I like it even if I'm not very fond of black rubbish... ahem, rubber computers that emit horrible sounds and tend to get scared whenever there are more than two colours around :lol:
Sinclair shouldn't have used the Z80 microprocessor from Zilog then - a company founded by an Italian bloke! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:42 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Hiro wrote:Very nice cover indeed, I like it even if I'm not very fond of black rubbish... ahem, rubber computers that emit horrible sounds and tend to get scared whenever there are more than two colours around :lol:
Sinclair shouldn't have used the Z80 microprocessor from Zilog then - a company founded by an Italian bloke! :lol:
Well, good old Z80 is not bad at all and has a glorious history, maybe Sinclair shouldn't have devolved doing everything to it when designing their machine :mrgreen: anyway, I can think of far worse mistakes made by Italian people :lol:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Hiro wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Well, good old Z80 is not bad at all and has a glorious history, maybe Sinclair shouldn't have devolved doing everything to it when designing their machine :mrgreen: anyway, I can think of far worse mistakes made by Italian people :lol:
Nobody mention the war :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:47 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
ncf1 wrote:Cascade Games, I loved this article, fascinating story and I found the Cassette 50 part especially interesting, indeed I am trying to create a few products myself that are more or less style over substance, or more accurately rabidly so, and hopefully I can achieve it one day. Blew my mind that those guys were making over a million pounds at one stage, I can remember steering clear of most of their games at the time because I thought they were pretty much crap!
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. They did a few decent games on the C64 (ACE was, erm, ace).

If you want to know more on Cassette 50 I did a making of it in issue 2 of Pixel nation http://www.pixel-nation.co.uk
cheers, i shall follow that link now, as i mentioned, loved the article you did. ACE, well yes I kind of steered clear of flight sims so that may have been great, heard about that a lot during its time of glory .. think I even have a copy of it but never got into it. But anyway I shall peruse your extra work :) Thanks again.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:32 am

Looks good, noticed an error in your half life/black mesa bit - the box for "other good remakes" has you listing in the MGS: Twin Snakes bit as Naomi Hunter turning american - 'fraid she was the same, it was Mei Ling who's voice changed. A niggling error though and I doubt most people would notice! :P

PSN username - MartinPhantom

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:58 am

CraigGrannell wrote:
Nice to see Hat Trick but strange to see no mention of the only home conversion on the Atari 7800.
Lee had nothing to do with that, and with only two pages to play with, I wanted to concentrate on his story.

(Incidentally, if anyone's wondering where the Lode Runner making-of vanished to, I'm told that will now run in a couple of issues’ time.)
Hopefully a good review of Lode Runner's Rescue on Atari 8-bit, a most excellent game from Synapse released 1985, where you play as Lode Runner's daughter, Alexandra, to save daddy.
In the old Lode Runner round-up fom RG, that Stuart guy falsly stated you play as a dog (maybe she was a dog to look at, who knows)

Here's a review from Antic, an important US Atari 8bit magazine (don't know if you heard of it):

Lode Runner's Rescue looks strangely like a videogame version of "Alice in Wonderland". The goal is to use your joystick to guide the original Lode Runner's daughter, Alexandra, through 46 high-resolution 3-D screens, picking up the keys which will be necessary to free her dad.

Along the way, you must help Alexandra avoid the Bungeling guards, chase down a cat for extra lives, eat magic mushrooms for extra running and jumping power, and finally reach the square that will let her exit the screen and move on to the next one. Just as in the original lode Runner, each screen must be solved for the correct method of getting all the keys.

The graphics of Lode Runner's Rescue must be rated superior. Each screen is seen in three-quarter perspective, as in ZAXXON. The colorful squares which make up each screen are often on multiple levels. Alexandra has limited jumping capabilities, activated by pressing the joystick button. Alexandra won't walk off a precipice which is too high for her (more than two squares high), but if you force her off by using the jump button, she will lose one of her lives.

There are also swiftly flowing rivers to swim. But the toughest part of solving each screen is the fact that Alexandra can be hidden behind the various walls which populate the playing field. You are then "driving blind," depending only on the sound cues to tell you whether you've hit a wall, fallen in a ditch, or are in the river. This is one game where the sound is absolutely necessary for play.

Playing Lode Runner's Rescue is quite a challenge. The base of the joystick must be turned diagonally and the stick pressed in the direction you want Alexandra to go. An extremely light touch is needed, otherwise she will go past the point you are aiming for. It is very frustrating to get caught by a guard because you missed your exit! But after a while, you do get used to the control scheme and play proceeds more smoothly.

The screen editor is very good and easy to use. Alexandra herself is the cursor for choosing where to put a square. And all the different game tiles are available across the top of the screen. You can choose which tile to use including such niceties as trap doors, what height to set the tile, and even the direction of the current in the river and the directions a guard will take at a certain point.

There is also an menu for loading and saving screens, or formatting a disk to hold your screens. The last screen in a series will hold the square that Lode Runner is trapped in, so that you can rescue him. You can even playtest new screens in a mode where you don't run out of lives.

BTW, ===eat magic mushrooms for extra running and jumping power=== wonder who copied that for a certain Italian plumber?
Last edited by kleinemaus on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 am

It's a making of Lode Runner. So the focus on on the original game.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:08 am

Apple ][ and Atari 8-bit versions? Cool.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 am

kleinemaus wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:
Nice to see Hat Trick but strange to see no mention of the only home conversion on the Atari 7800.
Lee had nothing to do with that, and with only two pages to play with, I wanted to concentrate on his story.

(Incidentally, if anyone's wondering where the Lode Runner making-of vanished to, I'm told that will now run in a couple of issues’ time.)

BTW, ===eat magic mushrooms for extra running and jumping power=== wonder who copied that for a certain Italian plumber?
As the review mentions, both Mario and Lode Runner's Rescue drew inspiration from Alice in Wonderland.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:24 am

Loved the Cascade article too, yes I do own one of those Cassette 50, but I never booted it up once.
Got a cool t-shirt from a PCW show in London way back

Anyway, loved the cover too, although Ultimate was not a company which did good games on my PCs, being a C64 fdd and A8 fdd user; maybe they would have shined on A8, but they didn't even try.
But again, I loved the article, Ultimate was for Spectrum what Activision was to VCS. Ultimate knew their (Spectrum) stuff. Comparison to the Beatles was a bit far fetched though.....Tremeloes more likely

Great Jack article, and also Sonic, Kirby and Barbarian, loved both Barbarian games on C64 and who doesn't remember Maria's XMas Box?