Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

necronom

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:39 pm

I've just had a quick flick through. I saw the cover and thought "Brilliant!", and looking through it, there is plenty of stuff I'll enjoy reading.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Gabe wrote:The Half-Life piece has been taken directly from GamesTM, hasn't it?
Not at all. It's a brand new article which has nothing to do with any article that may be in gamesTM. On the three ocassions we've had to reuse gamesTM articles (two of which I wrote anyway) we've always made it clear that they were reprints.

If gamesTM have covered Black/Mesa it's probably because they realise it's just as important to gaming as we know it is.

Hopefully that should dispel any further wrong theories...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:17 pm

^^ nice to see King Hippo get a mention in the Play report :D ...and Dprinny!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:44 am

Is this the issue with a Lode Runner feature? Love love love Lode Runner

dunjenkeepa

Ultimate Article

Post by dunjenkeepa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:10 am

Maybe **spoilers** ahead so be warned !

Love the cover - in my gaming map - Spectrum Ultimate games still rate as some of my all time fave games - (Atic Atac / Knightlore). Have to say though, slightly dissapointed with the Ultimate Article - "The Untold Story" - ooh I was excited - what new revelations ? Are the Stampers speaking ? "New" News about Miremare ?

er no.

Just a recap of the games by year. I may be wrong but nothing we didn't know about already ?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re: Ultimate Article

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:20 am

dunjenkeepa wrote:Maybe **spoilers** ahead so be warned !

Love the cover - in my gaming map - Spectrum Ultimate games still rate as some of my all time fave games - (Atic Atac / Knightlore). Have to say though, slightly dissapointed with the Ultimate Article - "The Untold Story" - ooh I was excited - what new revelations ? Are the Stampers speaking ? "New" News about Miremare ?

er no.

Just a recap of the games by year. I may be wrong but nothing we didn't know about already ?
We've done Mire Mare to death. So we weren't going to be revisiting it. We've spoken to the Stampers once, but they've now gone into hiding. As for new revelations, well there was plenty of stuff I hadn't heard before, so it seemed like a pretty good feature to me. I think maybe your expectation levels were set to 11 :)

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:24 am

kiwimike wrote:Is this the issue with a Lode Runner feature? Love love love Lode Runner
No it is being pushed back until issue 111.

dunjenkeepa

Post by dunjenkeepa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We've done Mire Mare to death. So we weren't going to be revisiting it. We've spoken to the Stampers once, but they've now gone into hiding. As for new revelations, well there was plenty of stuff I hadn't heard before, so it seemed like a pretty good feature to me. I think maybe your expectation levels were set to 11 :)
I liked the feature as always (been here since issue 1!) , but I was expecting more I guess, from the cover text.
Part of the appeal of Ultimate is the unknown details so maybe it is for the best!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:23 am

dunjenkeepa wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:We've done Mire Mare to death. So we weren't going to be revisiting it. We've spoken to the Stampers once, but they've now gone into hiding. As for new revelations, well there was plenty of stuff I hadn't heard before, so it seemed like a pretty good feature to me. I think maybe your expectation levels were set to 11 :)
I liked the feature as always (been here since issue 1!) , but I was expecting more I guess, from the cover text.
Part of the appeal of Ultimate is the unknown details so maybe it is for the best!
As I said, there were plenty of anecdotes I hadn't heard before, so I don't think we mislead anyone. I can appreciate that you may have read it differently though. Still, you've taken the time to sign up and comment, so that's appreciated :)

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:05 am

How come you didn't go with the Kirby cover?
That one looked awesome. 8)
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:15 am

Just got my issue, loved the front cover so i'm glad they kept with Ultimate.

Quite a few nice articles i've seen, the Cascade one looks great. The Sonic 3 classic game makes me want to play this later. The Hat Trick article, just made me want to buy 'Ice Rage' on iOS which is based on Hat Trick.

Cant believe we're on issue 109 already !

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:48 am

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:How come you didn't go with the Kirby cover?
That one looked awesome. 8)
:shock:

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:04 am

psj3809 wrote:The Hat Trick article, just made me want to buy 'Ice Rage' on iOS which is based on Hat Trick.
And soon for Android, so I hear.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

Always nice to come home to the latest issue.

Awesome cover, one of the best ever, although quite why it needed a pic of the snes tucked away in the bottom corner is anybodys guess, idiotic decision.

Great to see the new X-Com scoring high but thought it should have got more space, it's such a brave move to release a turn based strategy game in this day and age I thought the mag would have given it at least a full page.

Never bothered with Mirrors Edge although I have always meant to, good choice for the future classic, would like to see more stuff from this gen picked.

Barbarian, Tetris, Half Life/Black Mesa, its all good, a very strong issue.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:43 am

My copy arrived in the post today and from a cursory glance at all its articles it would appear to be an absolutely cracking issue :D . Feelings of nausea from witnessing pages 80-85 excepted! :lol:
CraigGrannell wrote:... FWIW, anyone wanting to check out that version, head over to AtariAge.
I'm not sure linking to a website which illegally hosts that and other videogame ROMs is particularly well advised on this forum. :?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac