Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

eightbitter

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by eightbitter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:09 am

As i don't live in the UK, the Sinclair Spectrum is largely a closed book to me. In fact, I have never even seen one in the flesh. Back in the day, I knew people who owned C64s, Vic 20s, Amstrad CPCs, Nintendos, Ataris, and what have you, but the Spectrum was nonexistent. I never knew such a computer even existed until I started reading British magazines. Consequently, every time you rave about some legendary Spectrum publisher whose titles weren't widely converted, i am fairly in the dark. Admittedly, Ultimate had a few C64 titles, but they weren't really that great, were they? Having tried various Spectrum emulators on various platforms in order to see what all the fuss was about, I must say the attraction of the largely soundless, monochromatic / violently colour-clashing little thing remains somewhat of a mystery to me. I guess you have to have been there, which I wasn't. Hence, not altogether my favourite sort of article. Still, it was well written and informative, and I am, after all, interested in all 8/16 bit systems. :)

As for the rest of the mag, the Jack Tramiel article was my favourite of the issue. :mrgreen:

Future Classics and all the iOS/xbox/etc stuff was just a waste of space as usual. Also, Half-life: BLEH! Nuff said... :roll:

PS! Thank GOD you didn't go for that Kirby cover! People are sufficiently inclined to look askance at a grown man reading magazines about old videogames, without them having vigorously pink covers to boot :wink:

martyg

Post by martyg » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:46 pm

109 finally hit the other side of the pond, and I was able to check out my article on Jack (I don't get to actually see what it looks like until it gets released over here). On the Jack Tramiel quotes boxout, I had some explanations on their context (including their sourcing), which were of course taken out for space consideration. Here it is in it's original form so that some of the quotes make a little more sense as to what he was saying and why:

"People should not buy the ST during the first six months because that is the time for
software developers to do their work." - Still looking out for the consumer, advising
them against buying his new computer right away much to the chagrin of his marketing
staff.

"I'm not a professional executive, I use a personal touch like a family business. I never
believed I'd be able to run a company the size of Commodore." - After resigning from
Commodore. Feb 13th, 1984 Infoworld.

"Computers are much more useful than cigarettes." - Jack's response to former Atari Inc.
CEO James Morgan's statement that computers weren't yet useful.

"All our products are introduced in Japan first. The Japanese are the best critics a
foreigner can have to see if you've made a mistake." - Infoworld, April 26th, 1982

"When I get depressed, I watch the 'Patton' movie. I believe in that. I don't think you
can sit on your butt. You have to know who your competitor is-who your enemy is. You
have to have better tanks. You have to have better equipment to be able to win. And you
can't just wait for the Pentagon to tell you what to do. You have to do it." - Jack Tramiel
explaining the philosophy behind his quote "Business is War" February 1985, Antic
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Great stuff Marty, thanks for that!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:22 pm

Cheers, Marty. Context is everything and the quotes as they appear in the magazine do look a bit peculiar. Great to now know the context so that part of the magazine now makes more sense. Loved the article, btw. I did, perhaps wrongly, get the impression you were given a tight word limit in which to cover Jack's story. In an ideal world the article would have been around four pages long or something similar in length to the current issue's Mike Singleton feature or the recent Shigeru Miyamoto article. In my opinion, of course...
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

martyg

Post by martyg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:39 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Cheers, Marty. Context is everything and the quotes as they appear in the magazine do look a bit peculiar. Great to now know the context so that part of the magazine now makes more sense. Loved the article, btw. I did, perhaps wrongly, get the impression you were given a tight word limit in which to cover Jack's story. In an ideal world the article would have been around four pages long or something similar in length to the current issue's Mike Singleton feature or the recent Shigeru Miyamoto article. In my opinion, of course...
Everyone is given a limit, either word wise or sometimes character wise. Otherwise many of us writers would probably take up most of the mag with our article. ;)
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:03 pm

martyg wrote:Everyone is given a limit, either word wise or sometimes character wise. Otherwise many of us writers would probably take up most of the mag with our article. ;)
which in your case is a good thing :)
↓↓Click Link to See More
[url=http://www.greyfoxbooks.com[/url]

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:44 pm

sorry for the bumpage but i've dropped behind a bit again,anyway i was reading the half-life/black mesa article and noticed it was written by a Ian Dransfield.is that the same person who regularly writes for PLAY?

also is he a fairly regular RG writer and i just haven't noticed before?

i do know that it's the same publisher and that darren also writes for them from time to time.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"