Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by gman72 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:12 pm

I got this issue yesterday and have been reading through, so far it seems to me another fine issue.
However I have a couple of problems with the Contra article... I quote

1. Hard Corps is a brilliant but brutal blaster, one fully loaded with memorable set pieces and bosses and really puts the megadrive through its paces. It is also the first Contra to be entirely side scrolling...

Utterly incorrect. Contra Hardcorps on the megadrive is NOT entirely side scrolling. The third level (or fourth) is into the screen 3D as you get chased by a massive boss.

2. And if you love Contra 3 you should check out Contra Advance an odd handheld port that replaces the top down section with lovely new side-scrolling stages...

Utterly incorrect. The "lovely new" side scolling stages are in fact directly ported over from Hardcorps. There is nothing new about them.

Can i suggest that the writers actually play some of the games before putting pen to paper as it were?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by theantmeister » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:39 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
theantmeister wrote:I took one look at the cover and my heart sank. I'm so sick of reading about Speccy games I never played and even more sick of reading about bloody Ultimate. Couldn't we have got a Contra cover? Even the Kirby cover would have been a refreshing change.

Anyway, the content more than makes up for the cover. It is just a pity it is hidden behind a garish purple/red/black cover. I'll read the Ultimate article anyway, but guys, seriously, can we lay off this topic for a few issues? Please?
We've done about 7 features on ultimate, one of the most important 8-bit developers in nearly as many years. I don't know what your issue is.

It's like a music magazine being moaned at for regularly covering the beatles.
I'm part way through the article now and I have to say I did enjoy that bit about Imagine hiring a private detective. As always, RG produces something that is interesting to read, even if I don't particularly care for the subject matter.

As for Ultimate being "one of the most important 8-bit developers" and something akin to The Beatles, I just don't see anything in the article to support that. The Beatles had worldwide appeal. AFAIK, Ultimate were only big in the UK (unless you count Rare)?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:08 pm

gman72 wrote:
Utterly incorrect. The "lovely new" side scolling stages are in fact directly ported over from Hardcorps. There is nothing new about them.
I'm sure the last time we said they were from hard corps it was revealed that they were in fact stand alone. I certainly don't recognise them from Hard Corps. Anyway it's my fault I told Stuart they were brand new levels. If you want to shoot me you'll have to get in line.
Image

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 8994
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:36 pm

To err is human!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
retrosofer
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:11 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by retrosofer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:47 pm

jdanddiet wrote:To err is human!
To dream, futile!

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by gman72 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
gman72 wrote:
Utterly incorrect. The "lovely new" side scolling stages are in fact directly ported over from Hardcorps. There is nothing new about them.
I'm sure the last time we said they were from hard corps it was revealed that they were in fact stand alone. I certainly don't recognise them from Hard Corps. Anyway it's my fault I told Stuart they were brand new levels. If you want to shoot me you'll have to get in line.
I aint gonna shoot you, man. I'm just supplying you with feedback, and they are from Hardcorps but what-the-hell, right? In a hundred years from now whos gonna care?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6738
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:04 pm

No I'm annoyed because stuart bought it up with me and I told him he was wrong.
Image

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by gman72 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:No I'm annoyed because stuart bought it up with me and I told him he was wrong.
That's the problem with an open feedback section such as this; there's always some self righteous A-hole like me telling you that you're wrong. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Stuart@retrogamer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:20 am

@ gman – on the other point you raised… You’re absolutely right, but isn’t the 3D chase section a boss battle not a stage? The actual level is side-scrolling. I would have to play it again though to be sure though.

The point I was making (badly) there was that there are no top-down or over-the-shoulder stages seen in previous games… I admit I could have worded it better :)

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8017
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by gman72 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 am

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:@ gman – on the other point you raised… You’re absolutely right, but isn’t the 3D chase section a boss battle not a stage? The actual level is side-scrolling. I would have to play it again though to be sure though.

The point I was making (badly) there was that there are no top-down or over-the-shoulder stages seen in previous games… I admit I could have worded it better :)
:lol: that's a fantastic dodge, you should be a politician. I will forgive you because of that wonderful answer. Full marks, sir. A boss battle and not a stage indeed... But doesn't the boss chase you through the stage? Anyway, well said. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Stuart@retrogamer
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:36 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 pm

gman72 wrote:
Stuart@retrogamer wrote:@ gman – on the other point you raised… You’re absolutely right, but isn’t the 3D chase section a boss battle not a stage? The actual level is side-scrolling. I would have to play it again though to be sure though.

The point I was making (badly) there was that there are no top-down or over-the-shoulder stages seen in previous games… I admit I could have worded it better :)
:lol: that's a fantastic dodge, you should be a politician. I will forgive you because of that wonderful answer. Full marks, sir. A boss battle and not a stage indeed... But doesn't the boss chase you through the stage? Anyway, well said. :wink:
:D

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 8994
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:57 pm

In case anyone's interested I've published some of the pictures that didn't make the Cascade article on my blog. Here's a link to the second post.

http://jdanddiet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11 ... ra_12.html
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2392
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by samhain81 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:29 am

Loved the contents of the magazine.

Although, I agree with above, would have much preferred that Kirby cover. Looked gorgeous

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by markopoloman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:54 am

Loving the issue so far. The ultimate article is really nicely done and I'm glad the c64 games were included :D loving the Cascade article too - I'd forgotten so many of those games! Think I'll be saving the Kirby one till last though.... Never played it as I've always thought they were girls games :lol: and so glad they didn't use that awful Kirby cover!!!!! :shock:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 pm

markopoloman wrote:... Think I'll be saving the Kirby one till last though.... Never played it as I've always thought they were girls games :lol: and so glad they didn't use that awful Kirby cover!!!!! :shock:
Quoted for awesomeness! Well said, sir. :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest