From the forum question for issue 34

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum question for issue 34

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:55 pm

Hi all chaps and a happy new year :)

You all know the drill, so this month's question is: worst videogame sequel ever made.

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Castlevania 2 Simons Quest- This game is horrible. Not at all as good as the first, so bad possibly you might just kill your NES. Ridiculous ways required to complete the game and this stupid RPG style shop method where you had to collect jewls to get stuff, whats worse is that when you die all of them are lost reguardless of how many you collected.

Another is Home Alone 2
One Big question why the hell does a great percentage of new york want to kill a little kid? You have to get a rifle to stay alive, A RIFLE?! This is supossed to be a game made from a familiy film not a bloodbath action movie
Watching you sleep since 1990

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Here's my two pence worth:

Bomb Jack II: what a let down! Completly went away from the original story line. It'd be better if the NES's Mighty Bomb Jack became Bomb Jack II instead.

Gauntlet III: the 3D idea didn't work well at all - considering I'm a big fan of Gauntlet & Gauntlet II, I have to say I was seriously disappointed and rather annoyed that I shelled out a tenner on this crap!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Need for Speed (3DO) The one, the only, the original. Epic.

Every Need for Speed since. Tragic act of desperation designed to crush the spirits of those that remember the original and those hoping for a return to form.*, **.

* Does not apply to Need For Speed Porsche unleased - because Porsches are cool. True fact.

** Recent releases are OK(ish) but the lack of crashes and replays dooms them to the shadows of the bright lights of the original.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:24 pm

will2097 wrote:Need for Speed (3DO) The one, the only, the original. Epic.

Every Need for Speed since. Tragic act of desperation designed to crush the spirits of those that remember the original and those hoping for a return to form.*, **.

* Does not apply to Need For Speed Porsche unleased - because Porsches are cool. True fact.

** Recent releases are OK(ish) but the lack of crashes and replays dooms them to the shadows of the bright lights of the original.
How can you say that - Need for Speed: Road Challenge (a.k.a. Need for Speed: High Stakes) is probably the best in my opinion!
The Need for Speed: Undefground series was way too OTT, too much chav culture!!!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Back to the Future 3. A game so badly tested it's been proven impossible to pass level 1 on some versions.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Sega2006

Re:

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:40 pm

Dudley wrote:Back to the Future 3. A game so badly tested it's been proven impossible to pass level 1 on some versions.
The first one and the NES part 2&3 are pretty dire aswell

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Dudley wrote:Back to the Future 3. A game so badly tested it's been proven impossible to pass level 1 on some versions.
The Amiga version is pretty bad - which is kinda strange for an Amiga game!

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:11 pm

woody.cool wrote: How can you say that!
In this particular case through the medium of computer ;) (Boom Boom!)

It was good, sure. But not as good. NFS 3DO was the best. It's true. Please don't argue. I hate it when we argue. Just trust me on this. I'm right.

...and as we speak I'm playing NFS Carbon and as Sega2006 said, it is good. It's fun. True - the cars handle like every day is the day after it snows (sludgy) but the races are tense and the (i liked it sorry) Fast & the Furious style is quite good combined with a wee bit of Initial D. I just wish the sun would rise - just once.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Streetfighter 2, they took an original and innovative game and ruined it by adding loads of characters and rather foolish special moves.
Splink!

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:29 pm

felgekarp wrote:Streetfighter 2, they took an original and innovative game and ruined it by adding loads of characters and rather foolish special moves.
you are saying street fighter 2 is a bad game?

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:35 pm

R-Type 2. They took a brilliant game and cranked up the difficulty to a level that made it only slightly more enjoyable than water torture.

Or

Turbo Outrun. Dreadful game that was spoilt the memory of a truly wonderful game. Luckily when Outrun 2 finally arrived it was a masterpiece that made it all look like a bad dream.

MattC

Post by MattC » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Well, my mum would be adamant that it's Simon the Sorceror 3D but as I've never been able to bring myself to play it (and potentially sully the memory of the previous 2 games) I can't really comment.

Myself, I would have to say Count Duckula 2 on the Amstrad CPC. Never mind worst sequel, that appalling travesty of a mockery of a joke of a game could easily stand accused as one of the worst of all time - and that includes the Amsoft stuff. The original wasn't brilliant either but at least it used real sprites instead of ascii characters and ran at a decent speed. CD2, on the other hand, was a shameless cash-in that made a 10 line type-in version of Breakout look professional. No joke!
Last edited by MattC on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sega2006

Re:

Post by Sega2006 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:49 pm

will2097 wrote:
woody.cool wrote: How can you say that!
In this particular case through the medium of computer ;) (Boom Boom!)

It was good, sure. But not as good. NFS 3DO was the best. It's true. Please don't argue. I hate it when we argue. Just trust me on this. I'm right.

...and as we speak I'm playing NFS Carbon and as Sega2006 said, it is good. It's fun. True - the cars handle like every day is the day after it snows (sludgy) but the races are tense and the (i liked it sorry) Fast & the Furious style is quite good combined with a wee bit of Initial D. I just wish the sun would rise - just once.
In NFS Most Wanted its daylight all the time. Plays the same as Carbon but has different cars and lacks autosculpt

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:55 pm

felgekarp wrote:Streetfighter 2, they took an original and innovative game and ruined it by adding loads of characters and rather foolish special moves.
WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?! SF2 is THE BEST EVER fighting game ever. It set the standard for all one-on-one fighting games. I LOVE SF2! IT'S THE BEST!