Retro Gamer Issue 107 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Retro Gamer Issue 107 feedback thread

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:31 pm

antsbull

Re: REtro Gamer Issue 107

Post by antsbull » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

What a cracking looking issue - some of the design/layout work looks brilliant, and an awesome spread of features - can't wait to read the Apple, David Crane, Robotron, Kane 1/2 features (amongst others).

As a side-note has (sorry for being off topic) is everyone here aware of the absolutely atrocious kickstarter David Crane has started up? It really has knocked him down a few notches in my opinion..... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jun ... 0?ref=live

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:41 pm

Apple feature looking absolutely marvellous and cracking, you are a boss, Darranz, an R-Type boss, or at least one of the more substantial ones.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 pm

Yay! Robotron and Major Havoc!

2 of my favourite arcade games ever! Rest of the issue looks really good too! Looking forward to reading it!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 am

Alternative Software is the one I'm looking forward to from the cover.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 am

Cracking cover, Robotron has to be my all time favourite arcade game, can't wait for this to arrive.
HADDOCKEN!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:15 am

Really looking forward to the Street Fighter feature. Looks like the pages are jam-packed which I like :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 am

Yeah that Street Fighter feature is censored epic :shock: Why didn't you put that on the cover??

The Robotron and Apple II features look interesting too. But next months issue will be truly aces by the sounds of things! :D Shigsy FTW!!1

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:07 am

Evermore wrote:Yeah that Street Fighter feature is censored epic :shock: Why didn't you put that on the cover??
To be fair, Street Fighter has been on the cover in the past and as much as I love the series and would like to see it on the cover, it's cool to let something else have a chance.

Saying that, there might have been a Robotron cover before but I can't remember.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:38 am

Megamixer wrote:
Evermore wrote:Yeah that Street Fighter feature is censored epic :shock: Why didn't you put that on the cover??
To be fair, Street Fighter has been on the cover in the past and as much as I love the series and would like to see it on the cover, it's cool to let something else have a chance.

Saying that, there might have been a Robotron cover before but I can't remember.
Yeah, they've both had covers in the past from what I remember. I think the SF art would be more striking, but there you go.

How cool would it have been to have M. Bison glaring at you from the newstands? 8)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 am

My issue was waiting when I arrived home from work.

Good cover, and a huge improvement on the last four (although that's not saying much considering how woeful the last four covers have been), would have been even better without the hands and controllers at the bottom. Both street fighter covers looked good too.

The street fighter article looks superb on an epic scale, and the robotron piece looks equally good, really like the double page showing all the spin offs, great way to get modern and retro in the same article and show how they all link together.

Have not thought about Kane 1 & 2 for years, but seeing the article reminded me how much I used to enjoy them.

A very good issue it would seem.

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:22 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Good cover, and a huge improvement on the last four (although that's not saying much considering how woeful the last four covers have been), would have been even better without the hands and controllers at the bottom.
Those are Daz's hands. He's pretty chuffed about getting them on the cover ;]

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:55 pm

mikeb wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote: Good cover, and a huge improvement on the last four (although that's not saying much considering how woeful the last four covers have been), would have been even better without the hands and controllers at the bottom.
Those are Daz's hands. He's pretty chuffed about getting them on the cover ;]
his hands would have been more than welcome if they were covering up any of the previous four covers, on this cover, they get in the way, almost.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:08 pm

Good to see Iain Lee squeezing an Oric in there. Ok, he's probably slagging it off, but I'll take any coverage I can get.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 107 feedback thread

Post by The Laird » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:12 pm

I will post again seen as the other thread was locked, after it had been pinned by somebody no less. Why I don't know as there wasn't even a feedback thread when I posted it and it could have just been merged.

I got mine this morning, excellent issue so far!

I love the cover, very old school - much better than some of the recent ones.

Seems last month was just a blip as there is loads I am looking forward to reading this month - especially the Denis Koble, Robotron and Pitfall articles.

Great job to everyone involved.