From the forum issue 108

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

eightbitter

Re: From the forum issue 108

Post by eightbitter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 pm

What immediately jumps to mind when I hear mention of Psygnosis is Shadow of The Beast and the great music that played inside the tree. My fave Psygnosis game, however, now that's a tough one. While I believe I've seen enough Lemmings to last me a lifetime, you just couldn't help loving the annoying little greenhaired chumps when they first appeared out of a blue sky. I also remember much hilarity ensuing when a couple of friends and I loaded up Walker on my Amiga for the first time.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:39 pm

I think that SotB 3 is the best of the "Beast" games. While not the most impressive technically, it's the most playable of the series.

But as for my favourites: Awesome, an impressive sci-fi shooter, and Second Samurai, brilliant platform action in the splendour of AGA graphics.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

I could be really predictable and say Lemmings... and gosh darn it that's exactly what I'm going to do!
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm

I can't find a single game to pick as my fave, but Psygnosis were incredibly good at selling 'Psygnosis' - you would not hesitate to pick one of their products.
So I can't pick SotB coz it's a censored game, but it was a jawdropping experience for sure.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:33 pm

The original WipEout. It was a special moment in gaming with a fresh soundtrack and game that was brilliant and very hard to play. Mastering the courses was a defining moment in gaming that even the improved 2097 couldn't really replicate.
Forget Ridge Racer, the PlayStation landed with WipEout.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:17 am

Jeez these guys had some great titles. Lemmings simply for the hilarity of making the little buggers explode, Destruction derby and Wipeout for getting me into racing games with a difference. And G Police is crying out for an update with a Blade Runner atmosphere! :)
Ultimately you can't go past Lemmings for originality and addictive gameplay with depth.

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:59 am

Wipeout 2097 - Nuf Ced.

PS.. Did anyone else notice that when they made their playable demo of Destruction Derby 2 (was on Registration Demo 02 for us Aussies) that they kind of shot themselves in the foot by having the fastest car on their best track which had the biggest jump and with that track having the abilitiy to cause the hugest pile ups?? When I hired the game I was terribly dissapointed until I unlocked the car and track that was on the demo!! Put me off buying the game as soon as I realised this fact.
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

Trickytoon

Post by Trickytoon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:10 am

Hired Guns (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmi2GXAEgik)

One of my fondest gaming memories : bunking off school to use my mate's Dad's PC while he was at work, 4 players fighting for space on the same keyboard, a really entertaining game that was dripping with atmosphere. Also my first taste of FPS in the "modern" era.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:50 am

I'd have to go for Barbarian, Lemmings and Wipeout

Each from a different era of gaming for me but all stick in my mind :mrgreen:
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:12 pm

Lemmings is like the elephant in the room, but I'll have to go for Blood Money. It was the very first game I loaded up on my, then new, Atari ST and it ushered me into the 16-bit era with open arms.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:52 pm

ArcadeMYK wrote:Wipeout 2097 - Nuf Ced.

PS.. Did anyone else notice that when they made their playable demo of Destruction Derby 2 (was on Registration Demo 02 for us Aussies) that they kind of shot themselves in the foot by having the fastest car on their best track which had the biggest jump and with that track having the abilitiy to cause the hugest pile ups?? When I hired the game I was terribly dissapointed until I unlocked the car and track that was on the demo!! Put me off buying the game as soon as I realised this fact.
I remember that Demo! Kind of worked for me as I loved the DD2 demo to the point I just shot out and bought the game when it came out :)

Flabyo

Post by Flabyo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:24 am

I'd probably say the Rollcage games, but there's a slight bias giving I worked at that developer at the time :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:05 am

ArcadeMYK wrote:Wip3out - Nuf Ced.
Fixed!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

Seeing as nobody else has mentioned it yet, I'm going to suggest Lemmings :)

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Has to be the first Wipeout for me. The impact of those rollercoaster tracks and the smooth (ish) graphics coupled with Orbital being on the soundtrack... Just brilliant.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile