New GamesTM Retro Bookazine

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

knight_beat

New GamesTM Retro Bookazine

Post by knight_beat » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:12 pm

Spotted a new GamesTM Retro bookazine on ebay. It's not on the Imagine Shop and I couldn't find a copy in any of the London WH Smith stores I usually visit. I guess it will turn up in the next week or two.

mission1973

Re: New GamesTM Retro Bookazine

Post by mission1973 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 am

I`ve just pick it up from wh smiths 8)

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Two copies found in the Oxford St branch as well.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Looks good, though no doubt because it's labelled as a 'bookazine' they will charge a full £10 for what is basically the size of a men's health mag in pages....ho hum

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:57 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Looks good, though no doubt because it's labelled as a 'bookazine' they will charge a full £10 for what is basically the size of a men's health mag in pages....ho hum
Yeah but the average men's health mag consists of a third adverts. 220 odd pages of decent retro content seems a far better deal than what you'd get in a crappy men's magazine.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Darran...do these make their way to Barnes & Noble in the USA? For the previous volumes of the Retro bookazines I've just ordered online, but if I could save $15 in shipping costs I'd prefer to wait.

Thanks!
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 am

just made a purchase. Got the last one they did, very nice publication, looking forward to this one.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:34 am

AmigaJay wrote:Looks good, though no doubt because it's labelled as a 'bookazine' they will charge a full £10 for what is basically the size of a men's health mag in pages....ho hum
Have you not got any of these Games TM bookazines ? I've got them all and theyre brilliant, tons of retro stuff, dont think theres any adverts in it, just a great compilation. If it was a 'padded out Mens health mag' i wouldnt buy it, but its crammed full of all the retro features from the past x issues from Games TM. Well well worth it

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:14 am

Picked it up today - yes, £10 is a lot, but I only buy GamesTM every so often, so mostly new content for me.

Looks good from the flick through and I refer back to these from time to time.... don't think £10 is TOO much....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Yeah but the average men's health mag consists of a third adverts. 220 odd pages of decent retro content seems a far better deal than what you'd get in a crappy men's magazine.
I just feel £10 for a 'large' magazine is pushing it, I've been tempted before but put them back down, maybe at £7.99 I would take the plunge more.
psj3809 wrote: Have you not got any of these Games TM bookazines ? I've got them all and theyre brilliant, tons of retro stuff, dont think theres any adverts in it, just a great compilation. If it was a 'padded out Mens health mag' i wouldnt buy it, but its crammed full of all the retro features from the past x issues from Games TM. Well well worth it
No put off because of the price, I don't even care if there is a few retro orientated adverts in them as I often check their websites out because of them, anything to get the price down a couple of quid.

And yes I know a couple of quid isn't a lot but I bet I'm not the only one put off by the price, maybe they could offer a subscriber special offer by taking out the retailer cut...

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:44 pm

£10 is a lot of money for a magazine, but I think it's worth it if you have read only one or two of the articles. For comparison, Tap magazine are charging £9.99 for a 164 page magazine and Imagine's Linux/arty bookazines are £12.99 each (IIRC).

On a slightly different note, would it be possible to have a reprint of the Crash #98 cover art for a future Retro/RG issue? It's a fantastic piece of work that perfectly captures the destruction of the 8-bit market.

Jet Pilot

Post by Jet Pilot » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:18 pm

Newsstand price for Retro Gamer is £5. Retro Gamer contains about 110 pages of content.

This bookazine is £10. This bookazine contains 228 pages of content.

The price for the bookazine is right in line with the price of Retro Gamer.

Now, if you already subscribe to Games TM then the value isn't there because you have already seen the content. However for someone who doesn't read Games TM, the content is 100% new.
PSN ID: JetPiIot (the "L" in pilot is actually a capital "i")

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 am

Need to find myself a copy of this, I have always greatly enjoyed them, and this I am sure will be no different, I do not subscribe to Games TM so it will all be new to me, and as for the price, a tenner for the wealth of information in these is more than reasonable IMO, certainly would not put me off.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:45 am

Where have people found their copies? None in Basingstoke's WHSmith when I was there on Saturday.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:47 am

Got mine online, must admit it was quicker than its been before, ordered it thursday, arrived monday (This is sounding like a Craig David song)