Issue 106 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Laird

Re: Issue 106 feedback thread

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:24 pm

C64 wrote:Lol! Indeed it is! As Mr. D. Jones once said: 'Everybody knows the C64 is rubbish'. Ever since I can't help but keeping a sharp eye on the rivalry between C64 & Speccy in Retro Gamer. Obviously the speccy was bigger than the 64 in UK; can't blame you there... And be honest, the C64-tribute magazine a while ago (with nice cover) was a bit 'skinny' to say the least....
Don't worry there is a new C64 book coming out!!!!

It's called 50 Shades Of Brown :mrgreen:

C64

Post by C64 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
C64 wrote:Lol! Indeed it is! As Mr. D. Jones once said: 'Everybody knows the C64 is rubbish'. Ever since I can't help but keeping a sharp eye on the rivalry between C64 & Speccy in Retro Gamer. Obviously the speccy was bigger than the 64 in UK; can't blame you there... And be honest, the C64-tribute magazine a while ago (with nice cover) was a bit 'skinny' to say the least....
Don't worry there is a new C64 book coming out!!!!

It's called 50 Shades Of Brown :mrgreen:
Don't get mean to me tearing my C64-heart apart 8); In the end I'm a good bloke, you know, minding my C64 obsession...

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:18 pm

sick to the back teeth of both of them to be honest.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Another high standard issue for me. I can't believe I completely forgot about those table top electronic games. Seeing Caveman & Firefox 7 suddenly brought me back to circa 1982/3. Reminding that retro gaming is more than just about Miner Willy & Mario.

I don't have any issue with the cover either. It has a picture of an iconic Grandstand machine which is fine. I guess a few dancing girls wouldn't have gone amiss though :wink:

As a Speccy fan, I enjoyed the c64 items & the Andrew Braybrook interview. Now I know why the dreadnought destruction sequence was so underwhelming in Uridium 2, a game I enjoyed so much more than the original.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Pinball wizard should have featured, it's not strictly a tabletop game. But it was about as awesome as it got back in the day.

Eat your nans pants

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Igorthegreen wrote:amazing how 30 years of speccy got a full cover, and C64 is just a little detail here :wink: .
your memory is tricking you my c64-perverted friend - the spectrum feature got a little corner in the top right hand of the cover which was dominated by the feature on star wars games.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Hello all.

As a long-time RG reader from the early Live Publishing issues, and as a subscriber since 2010, I've never really felt strongly enough about the magazine's content to contribute or join in here. I did briefly consider posting a message a few months ago, following Issue 100, when I felt the magazine was losing its way and was deliberating on cancelling my subscription. However, I'm finally moved to make my VERY STRONG feelings known to the RG team and to the forumites in general...

ISSUE 106 OF RETRO GAMER is, for me, the best issue ever!

It's a personal thing as, having read it from cover to cover, it could have been planned and compiled with me in mind! Even the regular features that I don't generally normally care for resonated massively with me. 100% flawless and faultless. Congratulations!

Whether there was a deliberate attempt to raise RG's game this month I'm obviously not sure - I've occasionally cringed in the past when glaring mistakes (to be fair, mostly minor) have slipped into articles on topics that I feel I know intimately (Kizza's ST article last month raised the blood pressure somewhat for me) - but this month... hugely entertaining and informative! Proper journalism at work, worth the money; a digest of well-researched articles the like of which you generally don't find on-line.

In that well-worn, time-honoured phrase: more please!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm

But isn't that the case sometimes? One month someone might not be keen on the content, another month people feel its the best issue (as it has tons of articles they like) or some people thought they wouldn't like that particular months issue but come away enjoying it

I've enjoyed the last few months, but as people always say it must be difficult to please everyone all the time die to the huge varied tastes in retro

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:36 am

Another corker this month... the Grandstand article was beautifully put together and an obvious labour of love, great work Rory. Top marks also to whoever put together the photos... Likewise Andrew's C64 article was spot on, loved the little contributions from people like Tony Crowther, Spicko, Jaz Rignall and Archer, they really made it a special piece. Not had time to read the Jaz interview yet but that's looking great too, as does the Amiga PD feature.

In fact enjoying the Commodore-love all round this issue - hey you Speccy guys had Mire Mare last month ;]

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:59 am

mikeb wrote:Another corker this month... the Grandstand article was beautifully put together and an obvious labour of love, great work Rory. Top marks also to whoever put together the photos... Likewise Andrew's C64 article was spot on, loved the little contributions from people like Tony Crowther, Spicko, Jaz Rignall and Archer, they really made it a special piece. Not had time to read the Jaz interview yet but that's looking great too, as does the Amiga PD feature.

In fact enjoying the Commodore-love all round this issue - hey you Speccy guys had Mire Mare last month ;]
Thanks Mike. I felt your Making Of Uridium and Damien's interview with Julian Rignall complemented my article well. And Rory Milne's Grandstand article was fascinating and an interesting perspective on what was an important part of home gaming. (I'd love to see a Game & Watch piece sometime...) Again, as in recent months, there was a nice variety of subjects covered.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mqark

Post by mqark » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:25 am

Ok - the RG website is still showing last months, and 106 isn't in the retrogamer ipad app yet... Arrrgh! where's my retrogamer - I need my fix...
http://www.konixmultisystem.co.uk - Dedicated to telling the story of the Konix Multisystem

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:31 am

mqark wrote:Ok - the RG website is still showing last months, and 106 isn't in the retrogamer ipad app yet... Arrrgh! where's my retrogamer - I need my fix...
That is probably just because subscribers get theirs early :wink:

mqark

Post by mqark » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:35 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
mqark wrote:Ok - the RG website is still showing last months, and 106 isn't in the retrogamer ipad app yet... Arrrgh! where's my retrogamer - I need my fix...
That is probably just because subscribers get theirs early :wink:
I subscribe on the iPad - saving trees and all that!

:) Nevermind, I'll wait a few days - anyone know what the street date is off the top of their head for 106?
http://www.konixmultisystem.co.uk - Dedicated to telling the story of the Konix Multisystem

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 am

merman wrote: (I'd love to see a Game & Watch piece sometime...) Again, as in recent months, there was a nice variety of subjects covered.
I would love to see some classic retro compilations released for the Game and Watch and the Grandstand games. On the app store theres a few decent Game and Watch 'tribute' games which do a good job. But would love to see the old old style graphics of Firefox or Astro Wars in an app or compilation disc. Shame there arent any 'Grandstand' tribute games out there (saying that i'll take another look)

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:48 pm

Great issue everyone at Retro Gamer!

Love the Grandstand bit especially.

Keep up the 'good work'!
Russ
'What's a Ftoomch?'