Issue 106 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Lettuce

Re: Issue 106 feedback thread

Post by Lettuce » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:25 pm

WHAT Retro Gamer, you only went and left out the best Tabletop game of all time.....Super Cobra!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Got mine yesterday, read the Grandstand article this afternoon, quite enjoyed that.
This issue has loads that I am interested in, so will be taking my time over it.
Apple Jack 2 even got a mention, I do like that game, glad to see it included.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:48 am

Lettuce wrote:WHAT Retro Gamer, you only went and left out the best Tabletop game of all time.....Super Cobra!
Its not a Grandstand game though, so we should see it in the follow up articles, eh Darran?
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Grandstand/index.html
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:19 am

I've been a fan of CGR for a few years now, great to see the interview with one of the few positive and non-gimmicky internet reviewers.
HADDOCKEN!

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:22 am

Another enjoyable read. BUT the covers are seriously getting worse and worse. Has there been a change in the staff who do them? Just looking at the last 4 (this month's, the pong one, the EA one, the 2600 one) shows the decline in quality. They are dull images, messy layouts and too much text making them look 'busy' and cluttered.

What happened to the great covers you were doing up until recently? The Great Escape, Bubble Bobble, C64, Zelda etc etc.

The contents are good as usual, even though I am getting retro overkill these days from the same topics being covered, even if from a different perspective. But seriously sort out the covers!

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 am

I've only flicked through it to see what was in there (I'm still finishing off the previous RG), but first impressions are that it's one of the best issues ever. :D Loads of articles I'm very interested in. Well done!
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:22 am

After being away for the weekend, my copy was waiting when I arrived home this morning.

Looks a pretty good issue but what the bloody hell is going on with the covers? its another abysmal cover. A quick look at page 15 shows the worst run of covers the magazine has ever had, I know subs are the lifeblood of any magazine but you still need people buying from the shelf, I cannot imagine anybody picking up the last four issues based on the horrific covers that have been vomited up.

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:25 am

I almost tiddled with glee when I saw the Amiga Shareware article. First thing I read and I enjoyed it. Would have liked to have seen more, but that's not a surprise :)

I was very pleasantly surprised to see the bit about the Demo scene in there; good call on Desert Dream, and I'd forgotten about Hardwired, but I don't think State of the Art was particularly technically impressive. Still - a nice article which was welcome!

The PCE article has made me want a PCE even more and the grandstand article was interesting too; not something I was into myself, but another one of those articles where it's nice and educational.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:After being away for the weekend, my copy was waiting when I arrived home this morning.

Looks a pretty good issue but what the bloody hell is going on with the covers? its another abysmal cover. A quick look at page 15 shows the worst run of covers the magazine has ever had, I know subs are the lifeblood of any magazine but you still need people buying from the shelf, I cannot imagine anybody picking up the last four issues based on the horrific covers that have been vomited up.

EXACTLY! The covers are so boring and lifeless. I can't imagine anyone other than the die hard oldies on this forum enjoying these covers, and it has zero appeal to the average gamer who might otherwise be tempted to pick up and flick through a copy in the shops. Looking like manuals to something from the 70's, they are crap, really really crap.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 am

Yeah I wasn't keen on the cover again. Both of the unused ones were better than the chosen one.

But my biggest gripe is the change to the layout of the RetroRevivals. WTF is going on with that Time Pilot one. Surely someone should have had a quick check of that and thought "nope, that aint working"!

But again, plenty of good content in the mag.

alcockell

Post by alcockell » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Giggled a bit while reading the Back to the 80s article - especially the Commodore port of Lunar Lander called "Jupiter Lander". Yeah - you try landing a LEM on a gas giant...
:mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

Igorthegreen

Post by Igorthegreen » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 pm

amazing how 30 years of speccy got a full cover, and C64 is just a little detail here :wink: .
Join my '8-BIT KIDS' book Kickstarter at http://tinyurl.com/c64club

C64

Post by C64 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Igorthegreen wrote:amazing how 30 years of speccy got a full cover, and C64 is just a little detail here :wink: .
Couldn't agree more, there. I wasn't expecting a full cover by seeing the 'next month'-page in issue 105 :twisted: .
But after all, very good issue. And yes, I'd be pro more retro coverage such as tv-series, films, ...

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:10 pm

C64 wrote:
Igorthegreen wrote:amazing how 30 years of speccy got a full cover, and C64 is just a little detail here :wink: .
Couldn't agree more, there. I wasn't expecting a full cover by seeing the 'next month'-page in issue 105 :twisted: .
So it's not so much that the C=64 wasn't the main feature of the cover that irked you both but more that the Speccy made it while the C=64 didn't? An interesting insight! :wink:

Can't blame RG for the decision though. Having all that beige on the cover might have confused folk into thinking it was Saga magazine on the newsagents' shelves! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

C64

Post by C64 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:22 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
C64 wrote:
So it's not so much that the C=64 wasn't the main feature of the cover that irked you both but more that the Speccy made it while the C=64 didn't? An interesting insight! :wink:

Can't blame RG for the decision though. Having all that beige on the cover might have confused folk into thinking it was Saga magazine on the newsagents' shelves! :lol:
Lol! Indeed it is! As Mr. D. Jones once said: 'Everybody knows the C64 is rubbish'. Ever since I can't help but keeping a sharp eye on the rivalry between C64 & Speccy in Retro Gamer. Obviously the speccy was bigger than the 64 in UK; can't blame you there... And be honest, the C64-tribute magazine a while ago (with nice cover) was a bit 'skinny' to say the least...

But hey, this is no 'issue' to me :wink: ; I'm enjoy RG, every page of it.