Issue 106 feedback thread

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Issue 106 feedback thread

Post by dste » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:01 am

Received my copy this morning, has it really been that long already.

Had a flick through and pretty much looking forward to reading all of the articles. Will also be showing a mate the electronic dreams article as he's a fan of them.

Looks a good issue overall.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Shinobi

Re: Issue 106 feedback thread

Post by Shinobi » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:32 am

Also got mine this morning; agreed Brilliant issue, one of the best in a while.. Just read the 8 pages on history of tabletops and Game & Watch and the Julian Rignell interview.. I'm also in the from the forum 8) and The Un-Converted and Minortiy back :D good call on giving Twinkle Tale to pages bought that from KT Consoles in Scotland for £7 so wish I had kept that game..

Also the review of Blue Chip arcade I got the Cartridge for this on the C64 did the Stamper brothers do the C64 version?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:40 am

Well done to Andrew on an excellent article commemorating 30 years of the C64. It may almost seem as though that's inevitable praise coming from a C64 fan like me, but it's so hard to do this kind of thing well these days because there's so much out there already. I don't think many people have the knowledge base that Merman has though of C64 then and now. In particular it's good to see that modern initiatives such as Heavy Stylus's cartridge making enterprise gets some column inches. I thought the abundance of box outs was a very good design choice, providing some well-deserved detail on some of the most interesting names in the C64's history. There's so little said on the forum about the likes of Nobby the Aardvark, Hunter's Moon and the like. These forgotten relics, they remind me that there's loads of buried treasure out there.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:11 am

I got mine this morning while I have to say there isn't much that interest me in this months issue I do look forward to reading the article on tabletops and the Amiga PD article might be enjoyable as I was a big fan of the similar ST scene.

I hope you all enjoy the PC Engine Minority Report :mrgreen:

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:11 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:I hope you all enjoy the PC Engine Minority Report :mrgreen:
I did actually - well done you - although I have only given it a brief squint so far. Long enough though to notice Aero Blasters, of which I have a copy for the Megadrive (although I've got the US version Air Buster). It's a decent game. I ought to get my Megadrive plugged in to the telly again and enjoy some good old-fashioned shooting actually - been a while since I've done that.

The Amiga PD bit was interesting - I remember being hugely impressed by the aptly-named State of the Art. I loved playing Gravity Force 2 - pity it didn't make the Top 10 PD Games box out.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:30 am

This is the cover:

merman

Post by merman » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 pm

Shinobi wrote:Also got mine this morning; agreed Brilliant issue, one of the best in a while.. Just read the 8 pages on history of tabletops and Game & Watch and the Julian Rignell interview.. I'm also in the from the forum 8) and The Un-Converted and Minortiy back :D good call on giving Twinkle Tale to pages bought that from KT Consoles in Scotland for £7 so wish I had kept that game..

Also the review of Blue Print arcade I got the Cartridge for this on the C64 did the Stamper brothers do the C64 version?
No, it was converted by Bill Hindorff for Commodore.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:23 pm

Seems a decent issue, if a little Commodore heavy, from the glance through I've had so far.

Great to see some PC Engine coverage and for the article's intro' to acknowledge the many requests from us here for such a thing. :D

Really looking forward to reading The Making Of... Uridium and Electronic Dreams articles. :D

Nice to see Mailbag and From The Forum return to normal after last month's aberration. :D

The Homebrew section: It's subtitled, "The scene's latest news and reviews" but some of the featured games aren't "new" at all. :?

Not at all keen on the front cover (although it's very cool having Astro Wars as the focal point) - far too cluttered, imho. :?

Trainspotter award - I've already spotted three mistakes and I've not even read one article from start to finish yet. :(
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:03 pm

Best issue in ages for me. I loved the Grandstand feature, I had several electronic games as a child, my favourite being 'Invader from Space'. Seeing the photo in the magazine brought back so many good memories.

Looking forward to reading the liberation, C64, Uridium and Amiga PD features.

Thank you for such a feature filled issue.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:06 pm

Great issue, good to see an abundance of Commodore stuff this month, well over due i think. Couldn't believe that Liberation was in there this month :shock: , i only bought the A1200 AGA version a few weeks ago. Sadly though my copy doesn't want to work :cry: , couldn't be bothered to send it back though. The game is pretty hard to get hold of now though, the CD32 one is easy to come by, but the floppy disk version is tough to get, and i finally get a bloody copy and it doesn't want to work, thats the seller leaving the disks loose in the box and sending it through the post for you. I really want to give the game a blast now after reading the article, but cant which sucks.
Its nice to see abit on Classic Game Room, great channel and the guy always does great videos. Im not a fan of AVGN though, loved the nerds videos at first, the game related ones that is, but once you get past the swearing, it just gets old, really like his film/movie related videos though.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Trainspotter award - I've already spotted three mistakes and I've not even read one article from start to finish yet. :(
Mistakes will always creep in. I can't know everything about everything after all. I also can't fact check every single fact that gets submitted. Well I could, but you'd only get 3 issues a month.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:39 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:you'd only get 3 issues a month.
I wish!!!!! :lol:

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:41 pm

only read the c64 special so far, top work Andrew, I should have copyrighted that format :lol:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:52 pm

haven't read 105 yet & 106 plopped onto the door mat - spoilt
for choice.

for an 80s kid, those electronic games really set the nostalgia
gland throbbing

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:59 pm

I received my copy this morning too and, after flicking through, it's looking like a superb, varied issue. I'm delighted to see the Commodore content, it is the old girl's birthday after all! I'll be reading the Jaz Rignal interview first 8)