Collectors needed

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

stayAwhile

Re: Collectors needed

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:17 pm

Overheat wrote:Image

This is my mate's collection - I nominate him
That is one awesome collection I my C64 Speccy and Plus four games amount to the 100's in total and I have ab out 30 ps3 and 360 comabined mabie 200 combined ps1 ps2 and mabie 100 combined sega games and mabie just under 100 combined nintendo so I've got a long way to go compared to your mate haha
This guy are sick

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 pm

I have more than that and was told my collection wasnt good enough..
http://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000
My you tube retro reviews updated roughly monthly
http://kerr9000.blog.co.uk/
My Blog and Podcast

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:06 pm

Its not about volume, its about content. A huge collection of uninteresting games doesn't make for good copy. If however you have a small collection that is particularly interesting, unusual or fits with other mag content, then obviously that's more attractive. I have a fair whack of stuff myself, but its lack of focus and general 'commonness' of games means it would be weak for the mag.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kerr9000

Post by kerr9000 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:16 pm

I think mine is quiet interesting full of lots of worthwhile pieces but maybe that's just me.... For example I have about 20 boxed Philips Videopac G7000 games and a boxed machine which is not something everyone has as it was much more common to have an atari. ... I want go in to naming more stuff as I have hundreds of carts, cassettes and discs and it would take all year.
http://www.youtube.com/user/kerr9000
My you tube retro reviews updated roughly monthly
http://kerr9000.blog.co.uk/
My Blog and Podcast

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 am

Hi Kerr9000. The guide Stuart used to write for gamesTM concentrated more on super rare games that are typically very expensive and not big collections or unique ones (unless of course unique ones are really expensive)
Hope that clears things up.

Cripper2

Post by Cripper2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:40 pm

I think most collectors just want to own the things they could not afford when they were young. For me that is some atari vcs, st stuff and a very large amount of MSX stuff basically anything but especially the Konami games and cartridge releases of UK/US 8-bit games like jet Set WIlly, Ultimate games. I also have older Nintendo games but mainly sequels/versions of MSX games. I don't like gamepads and need a good one or two button joystick to enjoy older games.

ciderman

Post by ciderman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:52 pm

My collection is a mix of those titles I have loved over the years, coupled with those that I always wanted but couldn't have.
So along with my 250 odd PS2 titles I have a Vextrex, Virtual Boy, TG-16 and CD32, just to name a couple of my 50 strong console collection.
My most beloved machines are my GBA:SP AGS-101, Famicom II faceplated iQue Micro, Vectrex and my TEST PS2 (region free).
Too many great games to choose from but my PS2 Shmup collection played with my Namco Arcade Stick is a treat.
Colecovision under repair! Superior Donkey Kong incoming!!

jimmysega

Post by jimmysega » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Slightly off topic, but what do you guys think the best way to sell a collection would be? Ebay?

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:31 am

jimmysega wrote:Slightly off topic, but what do you guys think the best way to sell a collection would be? Ebay?
For exposure ebay. You're likely to geta higher price to, bu remember ebay and paypal both have fees.

When I went from 2000 games to 200, I went through private forums such as here, and local carboots. ebay saw less than 2% of the collection, and even then I pulled a lot off and sold it on neo-geo etc.

NES Max

Post by NES Max » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:38 am

I love that particular issue of Edge. I so wish Retro Gamer would do something like that one day (more of a focus on rare but playable games for various consoles - with a penchant for the Japanese import scene for consoles like the PC Engine, Neo-Geo and Saturn). So far, I haven't been very impressed by the articles about collectors. For one, the games checklist is entirely expendable - total filler as far as I'm concerned. I still love RG, but I feel there is untapped potential when it comes to covering the collecting scene.

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:15 pm

My collection started after I had to sell much of my old games collection about 9 years or so ago. Basically, our cat got run over and I ended up selling the vast majority of my games and consoles to Gamestation (back when they still took in older stuff) to help cover the vet bill! While I managed to keep a few bits and pieces that I couldn't possibly part with, my games collection was pretty much decimated.

In the time since that horrible day, I've tried my best to rebuild the collection from visiting car boot sales and the like. Whilst rebuilding my collection, I've also kept my eyes open for games I could never afford and games (and systems) that I never played, but heard good things about. These days, my collection is bigger than it was before and I've managed to get hold of most of what I had to sell, (as well as finding a few things I never had in the first place, including my lovely Vectrex, which was a 40th birthday present from my best mate - I'd only wanted one of those for 30 years!)

Over the years, the collecting bug has really bitten and I now look upon myself as the curator of my own personal video game museum. It's not that large a collection by the standards of a lot I've seen, but I really enjoy knowing I've saved stuff from the tip or from uncaring households. It's also great knowing when you've found a bargain at boot sales and I love 'discovering' titles that may be 20+ years old but are brand new to me. I also regularly watch a fair number of YouTube videos about retro game finds from the USA - its amazing how many games there are over the pond that I'd never even heard of.

My goal, once we can afford to move to a larger place (we're in a 1 bedroom flat at present), is to have my own games room, where I can set up as much of my retro kit as possible for ease of play, (at the moment, I only have space to have 4 or so consoles set up and a very, very full closet of games).

Anyway, I really love reading about other people's collections, regardless of whether they're big or small, or whether their games are rare or relatively common. So any form of feature on people's collections would suit me right down to the ground.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 am

Glad you got your stuff back. Sorry about your cat.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

darthsteve333

Post by darthsteve333 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Thanks RetroBob - I hope I never have to go through that again.

DeanDude

Post by DeanDude » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm a console collector and I'll drop you a pm stating the list of consoles and if u would like to you, any games I have. Just saying I'm 15 and due to the fact I cannot get a job yet, It isn't a huge list... Yet :)

silentplz09

Post by silentplz09 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 am

I have some here too.