Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bensonrad

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by bensonrad » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:22 am

I finished reading the issue this morning, another great issue, I felt it had a really nice balance of different things throughout.

The cover really is not an issue to me, I subscribe so its not like I am being inticed to a shop shelf to pick it up, the cover certainly reminded me of old 80's IT mags. I imagine most forum users are subscribers too. Must say I liked the Daley Thomson cover that was not used.

The thing I really love about the mag is I learn a lot from it and develop new interests in things, I was never a fan of Carmagedon, but found the article interesting. I always love anything Arcade related. The letters page was certainly skimpy, I shall have to write in :D (not with a complaint may I hasten to add! :lol: )

I am very excited to see the name Julian Rignall as something in next months issue :D :D :D
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 am

Still no explanation as to why road rash was listed as a 1998 release I see :D ....

Eat your nans pants

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:04 am

crusto wrote:Still no explanation as to why road rash was listed as a 1998 release I see :D ....
Simple I was convinced that was when it came out on 3DO, which was the version I was writing about.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:07 am

bensonrad wrote:I finished reading the issue this morning, another great issue....The cover really is not an issue to me...
No, its just the cover :lol: :wink:
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:15 am

Finished the mag, great read.. many excellent articles.

The cover was far too busy on the eye though, with so much going on, the electronic arts text and the writing all over the place, also the road rash bike randomly on the top etc It was too much. Not just because I personally didn't like it but from a design point of view too.

Still what was inside was top notch!

:D

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:38 am

GenerationZero wrote:Whoa, what was all that?! :(
On RVG site jagfest sais "Please make sure you post feedback on RG so they give me more work!" in reply to your post about it there. I provided a link to it.

Now that page has magically vanished from RVG. How does that make me a troll or part of your conspiracy theory?

Luckily other users saw your post there before you guys decided to remove it. Hey, your call. I don't have anything to hide, I just made an observation.
It was an obvious troll post albeit an amusing one. A five minute laugh late at night.

Really though, there wasn't much at the heart of it. A guy who gets his first article published in his favourite magazine posts about it on his forum and puts up a couple of photographs. Then a friend posts his positive comments about it all and is asked to post those comments in the feedback section on the magazine's official forum in the way of support. And in a way that suggests some self-deprecation and humour to me (there's an exclamation mark at the end of the "give me more work" remark, a lol smilie would have made it even better). It's just a bit of totally harmless self promotion at worst. Hardly the crime of the century. I'd do such things myself I think. It has absolutely been done by others.
Deleting the thread entirely and denying the comment was ever made probably makes it look a lot worse than it all really was. Mountain out of a molehill by a definite troll. I thought I should point this out.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am

If you ever talk to Jim Bagley again, ask him why Midnight Resistance was so dark on the Amiga. I always had to turn my brightness up a bit.

And on the next page... what was that picture supposed to be for the C64!? :wink: Please slap the person responsible with a wet fish.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:54 am

The Beans wrote:
Deleting the thread entirely and denying the comment was ever made probably makes it look a lot worse than it all really was. Mountain out of a molehill by a definite troll. I thought I should point this out.
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well. I think it's pretty low of people to be coming on here stirring (and sending my PMs) for know other reason than to have a pop at a new writer. I know he's not been perfect (at least on this forum, I can't speak of others) in the past. But I'm judging Kieren on his writing, and so far it has been very good.

I don't want this to turn into a let's knock Jagfest thread, so if people join the forum to do little more than that I'll be having words with them.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 am

Agreed Darran - lets not knock Jagfest... don't always agree with him, but he knows his stuff.... look forward to reading his article..
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:01 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
crusto wrote:Still no explanation as to why road rash was listed as a 1998 release I see :D ....
Simple I was convinced that was when it came out on 3DO, which was the version I was writing about.
It was about 95, maybe 96 iirc, it could even be (late) 94. I remember playing it way before moving out from my old house, which was in May 1997. I'll let you off just this once, but do it again and ill have to cancel my sub :lol:

Edit: turns out it was 1994 according to these guys.. http://www.mobygames.com/game/road-rash_/release-info

Eat your nans pants

GenerationZero

Post by GenerationZero » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:18 pm

The Beans wrote:Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well. I think it's pretty low of people to be coming on here stirring (and sending my PMs) for know other reason than to have a pop at a new writer. I know he's not been perfect (at least on this forum, I can't speak of others) in the past. But I'm judging Kieren on his writing, and so far it has been very good.

I don't want this to turn into a let's knock Jagfest thread, so if people join the forum to do little more than that I'll be having words with them.
Who knocked Jagfest? I wasn't knocking jagfest at all - I was pointing out greyfox's aparent duplicity in his less-than-genuine post in this thread. Nothing to do with Jagfest other than the fact that he wrote the article in question.

"the said Article rekindled my love with the magazine"

"I wish to thank Jagfest for his Fantastic article"

"Now in the Perfect world scenario would be brilliant to have a 10 page spread on the Demo scene covered in the mag."

"may these new writers make an impact on the magazine as Jagfests writing did with me"

I thought it was hilarious that this came from Jagfest's co-moderator at the RVG forum, prompted by a post "Please make sure you post feedback on RG so they give me more work!" from the author himself. If it hadn't been such a foam party it wouldn't have been worth my time posting, but come on... he laid it on so thick I was half expecting to bend on one knee and either propose to Jagfest, delcare his undying love for Retro Gamer itself, or throw caution to the wind and suggest a ménage à trois :lol:

The fact that one of RVG's moderators chose to remove it says more than it does me bothering to point it out, but whatevah... :D
ATARI

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:47 pm

GenerationZero wrote:
The Beans wrote:Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well. I think it's pretty low of people to be coming on here stirring (and sending my PMs) for know other reason than to have a pop at a new writer. I know he's not been perfect (at least on this forum, I can't speak of others) in the past. But I'm judging Kieren on his writing, and so far it has been very good.

Who knocked Jagfest? I wasn't knocking jagfest at all - I was pointing out greyfox's aparent duplicity in his less-than-genuine post in this thread. Nothing to do with Jagfest other than the fact that he wrote the article in question.

"the said Article rekindled my love with the magazine"

"I wish to thank Jagfest for his Fantastic article"

"Now in the Perfect world scenario would be brilliant to have a 10 page spread on the Demo scene covered in the mag."

"may these new writers make an impact on the magazine as Jagfests writing did with me"

I thought it was hilarious that this came from Jagfest's co-moderator at the RVG forum, prompted by a post "Please make sure you post feedback on RG so they give me more work!" from the author himself. If it hadn't been such a foam party it wouldn't have been worth my time posting, but come on... he laid it on so thick I was half expecting to bend on one knee and either propose to Jagfest, delcare his undying love for Retro Gamer itself, or throw caution to the wind and suggest a ménage à trois :lol:

The fact that one of RVG's moderators chose to remove it says more than it does me bothering to point it out, but whatevah... :D
i get what you're getting at, why does it matter....if the article is a good one? (the gushing praise is valid?)

just a bit of a weird way to introduce yourself on this forum.

i look forward to reading the piece it as i know very little about the ST.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Why hasn't my local WH Smiths still NOT got issue 105 in stock yet? I had to go all the way out to the edge of town (all on my own you know) to a little newsagents that is a local store for local people and was lucky to find a copy of the current issue, the moral here is to get a sub ASAP.
I think the cover is a little bit bland if i'm being honest.
Iain Lees column was interesting considering some of the Is It Retro battles we've had on here of late.
Loved the Mire Mire article - i knew that i would.
Loved the controversy article - an entertaining read.
The ST article was quite informative on the machines back story, and i will be trying some of those exclusives out - Super Stario Land seems quite interesting. Not too shabby, Jagfest. (you don't need Grayfox to go completely over the top with gushing praise just to prove you can write a decent segment.)
The Tempest bit was cool also, and that is all that i've managed to cram in so far. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

zapiy

Post by zapiy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:34 pm

The Beans wrote:
Pretty much my thoughts on the subject as well. I think it's pretty low of people to be coming on here stirring (and sending my PMs) for know other reason than to have a pop at a new writer. I know he's not been perfect (at least on this forum, I can't speak of others) in the past. But I'm judging Kieren on his writing, and so far it has been very good.

Nice one Darran.. regardless of anything said before Kieren has done nowt wrong on this one other than be extremely proud of writing an article for a magazine he is very passionate about and then being made to feel like he has.. so good one.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:12 pm

but the 'Amiga beaters' was just silly (Outrun, really, when there are so much better racers on the Amiga?)
the Amiga beaters was cringeworthy, dreadful stuff.