Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NorthWay

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by NorthWay » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:34 am

Have read it all now. Pats on the back all around.

Not sure if the DT cover wouldn't have been a better choice though. Something about the EA picture being a little too "close"? EA had these hella cool double-spreads when the Amiga was launched with the authors together with their games. The front reminded me a bit of those.

BTW, do you notice that there are actually a few ads in the back of the mag? I have no idea what those last two games are, and I keep one lazy eye on PS3 gaming.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:12 am

gman72 wrote:The best deal around is this:
1. Buy a sub.
2. Pay the asking price.
3. Enjoy your monthly delivery.
WORD!!! :wink:
Sir, I have taken your advise... and I'm excited to have done so - thanks for the encouragement!
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

crispybacon

Post by crispybacon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:22 am

I'm sure I'll enjoy the issue... once it arrives. :(

Any other subscribers in New Zealand experiencing delays in getting issue 105? It normally doesn't take this long to arrive.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:38 am

crispy, it takes a while, just got here in Australia yesterday. Still early compared to when it hits the shelves so you just have to be a bit patient, it usually takes about 2 weeks after they get it in the UK. Just join in on the conversations anyway, pretending you got it and know what everyone is talking about. :wink:

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:23 am

I wonder if the LOCOG brand police would have complained about the Daley Thompson cover?

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:27 pm

MikeFishcake wrote:I wonder if the LOCOG brand police would have complained about the Daley Thompson cover?
I'm going to complain about Elite announcing the relaunch of the Daley game on smartphone after we went to press... And the various problems that meant I was unable to interview Daley himself for the article.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:32 pm

I just got the latest issue. A great article by Jagfest about the ST. But, it could have done with more stuff about the ST and of course Kick Off! :lol: Only joking.

Good that Imageworks were covered as well. I thought that made an interesting story, what with them being a subsidiary of Mirrorsoft and so on.

crispybacon

Post by crispybacon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:48 pm

ncf1 wrote:crispy, it takes a while, just got here in Australia yesterday. Still early compared to when it hits the shelves so you just have to be a bit patient, it usually takes about 2 weeks after they get it in the UK. Just join in on the conversations anyway, pretending you got it and know what everyone is talking about. :wink:
Thanks for the heads-up! I only asked because normally (i.e., for the last 12 issues), it arrived within a week of being released in the UK -- this is the first time it's been held up so long.

So, back to watching the letterbox....

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:49 pm

@Crispybacon - I'm in New Zealand, and just order individually each month (in lieu of having a subscription after all the horror stories I've read on here) - and I ordered my 105 on Monday 23rd July, and it arrived 3 days later in NZ. Chances are yours might be missing, seeing as it would've used the same mail system and should've been posted well before I even ordered my copy?

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Finally finished reading this! Another great issue! Can honestly say I enjoyed all the articles, despite thinking I might find some of them a bit boring...so good work everyone involved! :D

Really looking forward to the Grandstand feature next month...those are what got me addicted to gaming in the first place, along with arcades! And on that note, if anybody has a cheap BMX Flyer they no longer want, gimme a shout! Been looking for one ever since mine broke about 20 years ago....
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

crispybacon

Post by crispybacon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:06 pm

antsbull wrote:@Crispybacon - I'm in New Zealand, and just order individually each month (in lieu of having a subscription after all the horror stories I've read on here) - and I ordered my 105 on Monday 23rd July, and it arrived 3 days later in NZ. Chances are yours might be missing, seeing as it would've used the same mail system and should've been posted well before I even ordered my copy?
Unfortunately, Subs don't have any extra copies to send out, so I had to bite the bullet and pay Zinio $6.15 :( (would much prefer a physical magazine -- it's a retro thing :lol: ). Still, they did extend my subscription by an issue :D

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:48 pm

Read all the issue, very good overall. The EA article is good, I found the Imageworks one not less interesting... especially liked the "clones" article, there are several interesting games I didn't know of, and the "mysterious figures"... two of them (Chris Butler and Paul Woakes) are at the top of my "wanted" (for an interview) list.

Also liked the Atari ST article, even if I'm an Amiga lover, I think it was a well-written, fair and enjoyable article. Not bad for a computer that was miles inferior to the Amy :mrgreen:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Hiro wrote:Also liked the Atari ST article, even if I'm an Amiga lover, I think it was a well-written, fair and enjoyable article. Not bad for a computer that was miles inferior to the Amy :mrgreen:
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, especially as a fan of the Commode Lady Friend :P

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:52 am

Forgot to mention the article on Sword of Destiny, great choice. I would have mentioned it in the "Best 10 C16 games" list that was published (a lot of) issues ago. Brings back memories...
Jagfest_UK wrote:
Hiro wrote:Also liked the Atari ST article, even if I'm an Amiga lover, I think it was a well-written, fair and enjoyable article. Not bad for a computer that was miles inferior to the Amy :mrgreen:
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it, especially as a fan of the Commode Lady Friend :P
No seriously, I liked it, and I'm going to check out the ST exclusives and the "better than on the Amiga" games.
Besides, do I hate the ST? Hell no, they were pretty good machines.

Only, the Amiga is in a different league :mrgreen:

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:04 am

deadpan666 wrote:Really looking forward to the Grandstand feature next month...those are what got me addicted to gaming in the first place, along with arcades! And on that note, if anybody has a cheap BMX Flyer they no longer want, gimme a shout! Been looking for one ever since mine broke about 20 years ago....
Sadly, the words "BMX Flyer" and "cheap" aren't generally found together in the same sentence. Good luck with the search though, and in the meantime, this cursor controlled flash version might tide you over. :)