Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:50 pm

I totally agree also the PS2 is not retro!!!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

gman72

Post by gman72 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm

'tis. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:13 pm

nakamura wrote:I totally agree also the PS2 is not retro!!!
Everything is "retro" or "classic" to someone, and the term is a sliding scale based on an "older" time in the industry. The PS2 is 12 years old now, that would certainly qualify it. There isn't one generation of gaming or gamers that has a monoply on "retro," as every generation gets older and their glory days slip further in to the past to be referred to as "old" by the current generation.
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:15 pm

To be honest it was just a bit of a joke. It's all opinions after all. :)
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

martyg

Post by martyg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm

nakamura wrote:To be honest it was just a bit of a joke. It's all opinions after all. :)
Damn dry British humour strikes again. ;)
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:58 am

Read bits of this issue... not all... and it seems to be getting harder and harder to find round these parts, which is annoying and I don't have the cash for a sub at the mo.... GRRR...

Anyway...

Cover.... I don't feel strongly pro or negative about it. Its a very 80s look and I'd probably suggest that lots of covers favour a 70s theme.. so fine by me. Would it draw in new reader? Probably not...

Mire Mare... Quite enjoyed this article, although I'd read much of this before... still a good read.

EA... I scan through this... disappointed that Marble Madness didn't seem to feature (although it might be somewhere in the text) - it was an iconic release... an arcade perfect port in the home... ah well..

ST article - as a former Amiga owner - this article has no place in your mag... next month can you please send out glue and blank paper so we can all pretend like this didn't happen.... :) Good article Jagfest, brough memories flooding back of my early ST experiences working in The Micro Shop... the lad who worked there got one and set it up in the shop.... seeing it inspired me to get an Amiga!

Now.. the format... is it just be, or did the articles seem more "busy" than usual? The layout seemed more fragmented and harder to read - or is that just me? Apologies if so... lots of boxes and not much flow to the text.

Anyway, keep up the good work all..... I enjoy the mag and always find stuff in it I enjoy reading.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:34 am

slacey1070 wrote:Read bits of this issue... not all... and it seems to be getting harder and harder to find round these parts, which is annoying and I don't have the cash for a sub at the mo.... GRRR...
Can you order it at a local newsagent ? They should get it in for you every month, in the old days you used to have those slips you cut out or photocopied from the mag to give to the newsagent to say 'please reserve me this magazine every month...'

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:11 am

psj3809 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Read bits of this issue... not all... and it seems to be getting harder and harder to find round these parts, which is annoying and I don't have the cash for a sub at the mo.... GRRR...
Can you order it at a local newsagent ? They should get it in for you every month, in the old days you used to have those slips you cut out or photocopied from the mag to give to the newsagent to say 'please reserve me this magazine every month...'
Trouble is, I'm not always in the same place..... which is a pain... I must just take a sub out... any deals on at the mo??
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:39 am

The best deal around is this:
1. Buy a sub.
2. Pay the asking price.
3. Enjoy your monthly delivery.
WORD!!! :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:03 pm

Finally got a copy today and I don't mind the cover. Honestly, I never look at the covers again anyway so I couldn't care less. In the case of this one though, it brings back good memories of a time when EA made great games for the 16bit platforms so it's done its job for me. Not sure it would hook in new readers but hey...swings and roundabouts.

Looking at the content, I think I'll enjoy this issue. Even the articles on computers/consoles that I have no interest in look visually appealing this month (the Atari ST for example) so I'll read them all anyway for the sake of education :) . Particularly looking forward to have a nose at the controversy feature and the EA piece (largely because there will be some 3DO snippets in there and I love the 3DO).

My initial criticism is the shortness of the letters section but if you aren't getting many then it's totally understandable. I did write one during the last 'call to arms' when the letters section was apparently in jeopardy but it didn't get printed (on a vaguely-related note, I also emailed Stuart with a Future Classic piece I'd knocked up a while back and got no reply. If it was too crap to even consider then fair do's, just would have liked to know :lol: . I expect he was just too busy which I can understand).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Stuart@retrogamer

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:Finally got a copy today and I don't mind the cover. Honestly, I never look at the covers again anyway so I couldn't care less. In the case of this one though, it brings back good memories of a time when EA made great games for the 16bit platforms so it's done its job for me. Not sure it would hook in new readers but hey...swings and roundabouts.

Looking at the content, I think I'll enjoy this issue. Even the articles on computers/consoles that I have no interest in look visually appealing this month (the Atari ST for example) so I'll read them all anyway for the sake of education :) . Particularly looking forward to have a nose at the controversy feature and the EA piece (largely because there will be some 3DO snippets in there and I love the 3DO).

My initial criticism is the shortness of the letters section but if you aren't getting many then it's totally understandable. I did write one during the last 'call to arms' when the letters section was apparently in jeopardy but it didn't get printed (on a vaguely-related note, I also emailed Stuart with a Future Classic piece I'd knocked up a while back and got no reply. If it was too crap to even consider then fair do's, just would have liked to know :lol: . I expect he was just too busy which I can understand).
I don't recall seeing it, though we do receive stacks of emails and submissions so it's very possible it did get missed. Resend it and I’ll take a look.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:44 pm

Stuart@retrogamer wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Finally got a copy today and I don't mind the cover. Honestly, I never look at the covers again anyway so I couldn't care less. In the case of this one though, it brings back good memories of a time when EA made great games for the 16bit platforms so it's done its job for me. Not sure it would hook in new readers but hey...swings and roundabouts.

I don't recall seeing it, though we do receive stacks of emails and submissions so it's very possible it did get missed. Resend it and I’ll take a look.
Cheers matey, will do :) . As I say, it's just a stab in the dark so if it's a load of old cobblers then there's no hard feelings.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Garry

Post by Garry » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:54 pm

It's been said, but really like the cover, better than the alternate ones by a mile
mag jumped out at me as i walked into the shop, which was good, as i hadn't expected to pick it up until tomorrow!

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 pm

I've just been through the "Clones" article and there are some crackers in amongst that lot. I've downloaded a few and bought 2 already.
Particularly like The Hearts of Men: Throne of deceit. That's a pretty challenging Gauntlet clone.
I've a few friends coming over Friday night for some gaming, this is going to be part of the nights entertainment for sure.
Ultratron is also an ace game, slick colourful fun and addictive and only 80 points! :D
I would point out that Orbitron:Revolution is infact 240 points, not 80 as published. But apart from that a brilliant article, more like these please.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:56 pm

EA (or EOA as they used to be known as): Seeing how much internal and tools/support focus you included, it would have been nice to have a bit about the cooperation with Commodore and the IFF standard they hammered out during the Amiga days.