Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

adippm82

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by adippm82 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Picked up my copy today, and I have to say for me is one of the best issues to date, I meant to go straight to the ST article, but stopped on the Mire Mare one, very good to have the truth on this mystical game at last, being an avid Ultimate fan, so onto the St article next, it has really filled in a void that the magazine has had, as acknowledged by Darran in the video introduction, no-one at the mag knows much about it, so they have found someone who does, and he has written a really good piece, very unbiased, a good read, and I am one of the ST owners who has never played Dungeon Master, especially after the piece on the game that follows on, maybe I should correct that, and hopefully Amiga owners can view the machine a bit differently, I used to get some bloody stick for owning one back in the day, not that I cared very much.

Thanks Jagfest, an enjoyable read, I fail to see what is so cringeworthy about the Amiga Beaters box out either, take Outrun for instance, that was one game that did give me some cred back then, crap as it was!

Loved the Daley Thompson article, I remember my brother hardwiring a broken Quick Shot 2 joystick so it made the character run like hell, still not an easy game to win at, we broke about five good sticks on Decathlon and Supertest, and I have recently managed to find the BBC version of Supertest on Ebay, must give it a go.

And minority report with Swords Of Destiny on the C16, a game that I got hold of only this week, how on earth they managed to cram that game into 16K I have not a clue, I have enjoyed collecting for the machine, some very creative, inventive programmers out there.

Also Star Parodier is one of my favourite Engine games, some do not rate it, but I still play it regularly.

Lots of other good stuff in the mag, it is the first issue I have read in one sitting for quite a while, the only criticism I have at all, is I wish you had used the Daley Thompson cover, that is all.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:03 pm

A couple of points if im being picky about the ST article, the ST and Amiga Outruns were identicle in quality other than the Amiga version having a digitised music intro, as gamewise both versions were identicle it seems strange to bring up Outrun as an Amiga beater.
Defender Of The Crown came out FIRST on the Amiga, surely people can remember this. The ST version came out over a year later with this added time to make improvments to the gameplay so, whilst it is accepted that the ST version is better, it came out AFTER the amiga version over a year later in fact to make it a better game, however the graphics and sound were still superior on the Amiga version.
Surely Enduro Racer should have been mentioned as a superb arcade conversion on the ST (the best home conversion) which didnt even come out on the Amiga. Also Supersprint should have got a mention as it was superb on the ST and didn't come out on the Amiga commercially.
:D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 pm

gman72 wrote:A couple of points if im being picky about the ST article, the ST and Amiga Outruns were identicle in quality other than the Amiga version having a digitised music intro, as gamewise both versions were identicle it seems strange to bring up Outrun as an Amiga beater.
Defender Of The Crown came out FIRST on the Amiga, surely people can remember this. The ST version came out over a year later with this added time to make improvments to the gameplay so, whilst it is accepted that the ST version is better, it came out AFTER the amiga version over a year later in fact to make it a better game, however the graphics and sound were still superior on the Amiga version.
Surely Enduro Racer should have been mentioned as a superb arcade conversion on the ST (the best home conversion) which didnt even come out on the Amiga. Also Supersprint should have got a mention as it was superb on the ST and didn't come out on the Amiga commercially.
:D
I pointed out the difference in the 2 Outruns, they are not the same. I played them both before doing the write up. The sound in the Amiga version is woeful.

It would have been rather stupid to mention games that didn't even come out on the Amiga as Amiga beaters :wink:

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
gman72 wrote: It would have been rather stupid to mention games that didn't even come out on the Amiga as Amiga beaters :wink:
Naturally. I just think a trick was missed by not mentioning Enduro Racer and Super Sprint in the article as they were brilliant on the ST and were treats that Amiga owners simply didnt get.
I'm right about the Defender Of The Crown releases though. Still, good article in general, Jagfest. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:44 pm

gman72 wrote:
Jagfest_UK wrote:
gman72 wrote: It would have been rather stupid to mention games that didn't even come out on the Amiga as Amiga beaters :wink:
Naturally. I just think a trick was missed by not mentioning Enduro Racer and Super Sprint in the article as they were brilliant on the ST and were treats that Amiga owners simply didnt get.
I'm right about the Defender Of The Crown releases though. Still, good article in general, Jagfest. :D
Ideally I would have done another page on games that were on the ST but not the Amiga as there were others too, maybe for another time eh? :wink:

Thanks for all the honest feedback anyway guys! :D

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Still advertising the "out of stock" The Commodore 64 / ZX Spectrum book?????
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

savva0122

Post by savva0122 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Cracking issue for me; really really good, not quite sure how you can keep the high standards up :D

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 pm

I enjoyed the offering this month, particularly the ST piece. Nicey written work there JagFest_Uk! :) You could tell it was written by an enthusiast, which always makes a difference.
Although the Amiga Beaters did make me smile somewhat. :wink:

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:38 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Still advertising the "out of stock" The Commodore 64 / ZX Spectrum book?????
Still in stock in WHSmiths down my way, 3 copies last I looked.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 pm

Shinobi wrote:So glad you had half a page devoted to Commodore 16 'Sword of Destiny' first thing I read seeing that:)
adippm82 wrote:And minority report with Swords Of Destiny on the C16, a game that I got hold of only this week, how on earth they managed to cram that game into 16K I have not a clue, I have enjoyed collecting for the machine, some very creative, inventive programmers out there.

Also Star Parodier is one of my favourite Engine games, some do not rate it, but I still play it regularly.
Seriously, comments like those are massively encouraging, thanks a lot guys. Minority Report is going to be undergoing something of an evolution soon with some reports focusing on just one machine, so if anyone would like to suggest a neglected system worthy of a month under the spotlight now would be the time to speak up.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Shinobi wrote:So glad you had half a page devoted to Commodore 16 'Sword of Destiny' first thing I read seeing that:)
adippm82 wrote:And minority report with Swords Of Destiny on the C16, a game that I got hold of only this week, how on earth they managed to cram that game into 16K I have not a clue, I have enjoyed collecting for the machine, some very creative, inventive programmers out there.

Seriously, comments like those are massively encouraging, thanks a lot guys. Minority Report is going to be undergoing something of an evolution soon with some reports focusing on just one machine, so if anyone would like to suggest a neglected system worthy of a month under the spotlight now would be the time to speak up.
Apple IIGS - GS standing for Graphics and Sound. Built for gaming pleasure. Simply cannot go wrong.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:16 am

Well had a good read of it now, as i said before it looked like one of the best issues for me personally and it didnt disappoint. Loved the Mire Mare article, Daley Thompsons bought back some great memories. Well done Jagfest on your first article, found it very good.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:32 am

Enjoyed the mag! Plenty of retro goodiness to read. Bit disappointed Daley Thompson cover didn't make it as its the Olympics. Enjoyed the ST article look forward to more from Jagfest. The ST did indeed revolutionalize bedroom music making. Just a minor note though (pardon the pun) Liam Howlett of The Prodigy never used an ST to produce music. he sequenced all his tracks using Roland W-30's. In a 1996 edition of SoundonSound magazine he was quoted as saying "I didn't want an Atari -- it's crap! I did buy an Atari, plugged it in once and thought it was just too slow and dated. A friend suggested the Mac;"

See;
http://www.nekozine.co.uk/prodigy/futur ... odigy.html

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:15 am

I didn't want an Atari -- it's crap! I did buy an Atari, plugged it in once and thought it was just too slow and dated.
Can't argue with him on that to be fair

trickytree

Post by trickytree » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:01 pm

Really enjoyed this issue, particularly the Dungeon Master and Mire Mare articles, and the fact you didn't censored off Kick Off :wink:

Seibu Kaihatsu must hate you though - Raiden was by Tecmo and Dynamite Duke by Sega, eh?