Official Feedback Issue 105

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

HalcyonDaze00

Re: Official Feedback Issue 105

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:41 am

My copy arrived this morning, been reading it at work.

Horrific cover, one of the worst ever, the covers seem to be going from bad to worse at the moment. The other two choices are better and I would have thought Dungeon Master could have provided a great cover.

A mixed bag of an issue:

Great to see the XBLA Indie games get some coverage and the Dungeon Master article is fantastic. The Image Works archive is great too.

On ther other hand, Carmageddon never really appealed to me, and nor did Jak and Daxter. The ST piece is a bit dull but so was the ST so thats about right I think.

Braybrook next issue should be good.

And it's nice to see the mag give VF5 the credit it deserves, the Virtua Fighter games have long wiped the floor with Tekken and Streetfighter!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:the Virtua Fighter games have long wiped the floor with Tekken and Streetfighter!
:shock: This is an outrage. You realise this means war. :wink:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Love the Dungeon Master feature, loved it a lot! Just a few anecdotes livened the thing up.
The ST feature was OK but not sure it showed the best of the machine though 10 exclusive games was a good idea (no Oids though!)
Readers page was very brief this month!
Still, one of my favourite issues for a while!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:00 pm

sscott wrote:The ST feature was OK but not sure it showed the best of the machine though 10 exclusive games was a good idea (no Oids though!)
Oids wasn't an ST exclusive that's why.

Lettuce

Post by Lettuce » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:08 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:My copy arrived this morning, been reading it at work.

Horrific cover, one of the worst ever, the covers seem to be going from bad to worse at the moment. The other two choices are better and I would have thought Dungeon Master could have provided a great cover.
Agree with you here, take issue 102 had a massive piece on Wipeout and they decided to go with X-Wing....now i know X-Wing was a big thing back in the day but only really for PC heads, Wipeout on the other helped gaming turn the corner and gaming became cool almost over night and this game had a massive part in that and to be fare the X-wing cover art wasn't exactly exciting!

Issues 103, WTF!!!!!! had the making of Double Dragon....one of the biggest most important games of all time and they slap a picture of an Atari 2600 on the cover :lol:

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:11 pm

Nice issue, good read so far, glad to see unconverted section back! Of course I went to read what this 'Amiga Beater' article was all about! It's actually nice and balanced, and being an Amiga fan generally agree with most of it, couple of little errors, Amiga A12000!? One too many zeros there! And on the Falcon game, the Amiga has the same CPU as the ST, it's just under clocked to keep timings on NTSC, but yeah still nice article Jagfest :D

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:15 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Nice issue, good read so far, glad to see unconverted section back! Of course I went to read what this 'Amiga Beater' article was all about! It's actually nice and balanced, and being an Amiga fan generally agree with most of it, couple of little errors, Amiga A12000!? One too many zeros there! And on the Falcon game, the Amiga has the same CPU as the ST, it's just under clocked to keep timings on NTSC, but yeah still nice article Jagfest :D
Noticed the 12000 error when I read it this morning :oops:

I never said the ST didn't have the same CPU, I just said it was faster :wink:

Glad you enjoyed reading it though, especially as an Amiga fan! :mrgreen:

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Yep, just read the Mire Mare piece and the ST piece. Both are well done. Nice to see some ST exclusives singled out too, and some good input from developers. I don't think anyone (outside of a music studio) ever tried to claim the ST was technically superior to the Amiga, just that it was a pretty good contender and for a lot less cash you got much more of your money's worth. I'd take the same line with the Speccy and the C64.

As for errors? Well, the hi-res was 640 wide, not 600. And I think the external/internal thing is stated the wrong way round. The processor does 16-bit operations internally but exposes 32-bit data externally for the address bus (it does have some internal 32-bit operations, but no-one calls it a 32-bit processor). Much like the Z80 is an 8-bit processor internally but can do 16-bit memory addressing.

And nice to see more ST/Amiga stuff in the pipeline, too.

Dullest cover evah though. Sorry.
Last edited by joefish on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Issues 103, WTF!!!!!! had the making of Double Dragon....one of the biggest most important games of all time and they slap a picture of an Atari 2600 on the cover
yeah, one of the worst decisions they have made. Some very strange choices over the last few months.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 pm

It doesn't really say that much about the machine that of the 10 best ST exclusives you picked, half of them came out long after the machine was commercially-dead.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Mine came today liking the cover.. To me this was one of the best issue's in a long time, enjoyed the Mire Mare and Violence in Video Games article's.. So glad you had half a page devoted to Commodore 16 'Sword of Destiny' first thing I read seeing that:)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:54 pm

Gabe wrote:It doesn't really say that much about the machine that of the 10 best ST exclusives you picked, half of them came out long after the machine was commercially-dead.
Actually it says a lot as it shows people continued to support it well into the 90s. I was working for game in late '93 / early '94 and we were still selling ST games then.

Out of a massive list I tried to choose games from both the ST's early days and it's later days too, most people out there havn't even heard of, let alone played such as Alien Thing, Zero 5 and Substation. Half the point of the article (along side explaining the ST's legacy) was to open up the ST to people who didn't know anything about it or just dismissed it in favour of the Amiga. I was only able to list 10 games so tried to pick out the most interesting ones, for a variety of different reasons.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:59 am

Watched the vid, looks a great issue. Thought I may only buy one here n there from #100, but you guys are outdoing yourselves IMO with good variety and quality, so definately keeping my interest going :)
And I reckon the covers great

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:31 am

Hope there is a definitive Kick Off feature this month... :lol:
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:24 am

Nice issue so far, I'm liking the EA article, although there's no way road rash was released in 1998. Naughty, very naughty.

Eat your nans pants