Official feedback for Issue 33

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Kai

Post by Kai » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:10 am

GOSH! What a beautiful cover! Impressive!

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:38 am

I picked it up today at the train station. First thing I turned to was the Sensible Software feature. Great stuff.

skinny

Issue 33

Post by skinny » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:18 pm

Another good issue, but what happened to the rest of the text on the first page of the Pokemon article?
Pokemon is one of the most important, influential and brilliant series in videogame history, and it
Never actually played a Pokemon game, but still interested to know what comes next!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:13 am

"And it should be played by everyone except skinny, who smells of wee"
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:14 am

Picked my copy up from my local newsie yesterday and read the article last night.

For starters, the layout, colours, box-outs and flow are excellent. It looks really appealing to read, sort of like the way Sega Saturn Magazine used to do their Capcom beat 'em up features; colourful and interesting.

The box-outs are well thought out, giving time, space and pictures to give certain aspects more justice than would've been garnered had they been in the main text body. Even though I thnk all the box-outs are great, particular examples: 'The World's Greatest' (Run down of 8 top flight players), 'How To Play' (Fairly brave considering just how much you can write on that subject alone but it was succint and sage) and 'Magical Moments' (I'll YouTube this video very soon but was a great choice considering the other famous one with Daigo and Chun Li)

The advertising of the Neo-Empire UK events was good as well and it'll be interesting to see if any smaller groups of players come out of the woodwork ^_^

The main body though was also interesting, talked about what made 3rd Strike different and what that meant for the beat 'em up genre. i.e. introduction of the parry lead to the abolishment of repitition providing a true battle of the minds.
It also detailed the aspects to 3rd Strike which mark it out from the likes of Alpha and such like the EX moves, forced selection of 1 Super Art etc.

All in all it was what I hoped for, waxed lyrical about a game much maligned by punters ingrained in older standards with enough enthusiam to hopefully convince people to dig it out, try it again or look to purchase a bargain.

For me though, i could've read a book on the game so 4 pages initially felt slight but on reflection it was enough to do the game a fan-service.

Thanks alot Private Ryan for antoher top beat em up piece :D

Now, I thought since some folk like the front cover art work of Ryu and Ken, artwork for their SFIII guises, i'd provide some links to where you can get them yourself.

Goto Capcom Europe's site for SF:AC and there's a small window for looking at media and atwork. Clock the artwork and it'll display it in a small window which you can click for a full-size version, which you can then save.

You can also find them all plus alot more over at sf-galleries, the loss screens for SFIII: New Generation are brutal ^_^

Here's the popular ones.

Ken
Ryu
Gouki

But it's all about Q baby, he a bad man!

Although Private Private included the top bods of 3rd Strike, I thought it'd be nice to include a few other names that didn't fit the space restrictions! Search for these names in YouTube along with 'SFIII' for it to come from my profile. Some of the matches are godly.

Urien players: RX & Messatsu
Alex player: KSK
Necro players: Sugiyama & PinoAB7
Gouki players: Jiro & Dot
Remy players: Shamoji & Tsumoon
Makoto player: J and Sex-Tarou
Q player: Kuroda
Oro player: Dirty? & Hirochan
Dudley players: Kokujin
Yang player: Roshihikari
Hugo player: YSB
Ibuki players: Aruka & Hayato
Ryu player: Frankie3s & Ruu
Twelve player: Yamazaki

*phew*

Thanks again Darren for greenlighting the article, tremedous effort ^_^

dr_bob

Post by dr_bob » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:25 am

Good stuff , but a Data East retrospective that doesnt mention Midnight Resistance? - Heresy!

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:23 pm

After reading the retroinspection on the Amiga CD32, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside! It brought back lots of really good memories and also bad memories, like spending six months paper-round money on a CD32 with Dangerous Streets and finding out it was a big pile of steeming sh!t.

also, has anyone tried-out what is suggested in the SF2 article, and tried playing Street Fighter II whilst eating a profiterole?

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Got the issue today and had only time do browse quickly through it so far, but I've already found one rather big mistake in the reviews:

Yes, EA Replay isn't actually very good, especially for the price asked (funnily enough, the German release has apparently been pushed back to the end of Febuary, but the price is supposedly set at a much more reasonable 20 Euro).

BUT, it's absolutely wrong to say there's only Mega Drive games on the UMD: Both Wing Commander games and Ultima are SNES games - they don't even existe on the Mega Drive.

Doesn't change anything about the (non-)quality of the compilation, but that'S a somewhat notice Oops there...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:32 pm

Weblaus wrote:Got the issue today and had only time do browse quickly through it so far, but I've already found one rather big mistake in the reviews:

Yes, EA Replay isn't actually very good, especially for the price asked (funnily enough, the German release has apparently been pushed back to the end of Febuary, but the price is supposedly set at a much more reasonable 20 Euro).

BUT, it's absolutely wrong to say there's only Mega Drive games on the UMD: Both Wing Commander games and Ultima are SNES games - they don't even existe on the Mega Drive.

Doesn't change anything about the (non-)quality of the compilation, but that'S a somewhat notice Oops there...
Sadly, with only a three week deadline, John being on holiday and me being away due to my Grandfather passing away, the magazine was unfortuantely not necessarily proofed as well as it could have been and I missed this particular referance.

Sincerest apologies.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:58 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Weblaus wrote:Got the issue today and had only time do browse quickly through it so far, but I've already found one rather big mistake in the reviews:

Sadly, with only a three week deadline, John being on holiday and me being away due to my Grandfather passing away, the magazine was unfortuantely not necessarily proofed as well as it could have been and I missed this particular referance.

Sincerest apologies.
sorry to hearabout your loss Darran

Asfar as the mistake goes,it must be so hard to check that everything is correct in the mag -I mean for someone proofing the mag not to spot WC wasn't released on MD is entirely understandable.The guy who did the review should have got his facts right though
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Weblaus

Re:

Post by Weblaus » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: sorry to hearabout your loss Darran

Asfar as the mistake goes,it must be so hard to check that everything is correct in the mag -I mean for someone proofing the mag not to spot WC wasn't released on MD is entirely understandable.The guy who did the review should have got his facts right though
I'm also sorry to hear you had such an unfortunate time.

I think my comment may have come across as unneccessarily harsh, it's just that I reviewed the game for the publications I work on a few weeks ago and I almost made the same error, so I know the problem (and that John didn't check his facts, sorry to say so).

will2097

Post by will2097 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Can I just say I really enjoyed the Data East article. The rags to riches to rags story was really good. I also liked the 'insider' information that was included. I always enjoy getting the 'feel' of what it must have been like working for one of these firms and I think that article really conveyed that nicely. For many of us these companies; Data East, Jalco, Sony, Sega, etc., etc, are personalities or the super-stars of our hobby and these historical accounts of what happened and how it happened, details of contracts and the inner workings of these companies at the time I find really interesting. And I really hope you can do more of this kind of thing, I really do.

I also liked the CD32 one for the same sort of reasons. It was a little more emotive for me because the CD32 heralded my abandonment of Amiga in favour of other platforms but it was insightful and I enjoyed it.

I also liked Archers article too. He obviously writes about the first thing that comes into his head - but that's not a bad thing!

One final thing was the Silent Hill article. I was never a fan. I couldn't abide the game and was turned off after playing it for no more than 15mins. So congrats on getting me track a copy down on eBay!

Like others have said this issue is actually one of the best. I'm really looking forward to the next.

All the best!

Will.

C4

Post by C4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:41 am

Best issue by far with its features on the Street Fighter series, Earthworm Jim, Monster Max and Pokémon. I also enjoy the article on the Amiga CD32.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:52 am

C4, is that a picture of your Gameboy or was it just from t'Internet. I'm a Man Utd fan and would love to get an MUFC branded Gameboy.

C4

Re:

Post by C4 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:31 am

woody.cool wrote:C4, is that a picture of your Gameboy or was it just from t'Internet. I'm a Man Utd fan and would love to get an MUFC branded Gameboy.
I got the image off Google. I would like to have one myself.