For the mag: Commodore 64 memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: For the mag: Commodore 64 memories

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:08 am

If Retro Gamer hardly had any Speccy/C64 material in it there would be uproar, i'm sure having a fair bit of Speccy/C64 has helped RG reach 100+ issues.

But again RG cant please everyone, you might be sick and tired of the Speccy/C64 stuff, i loved the last RG issue but disliked the XBox clones article (whereas i'm sure you loved it)

ArcadeMYK

Post by ArcadeMYK » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:37 pm

My most vivivd memory of a C64 related nature was when I was about 8 or 9 and I was high-score chasing on Ghost'N'Goblins on our Family 64/128.. I was so intent and focussed on finishing the game for my first time while at the same time beating my oldest brothers longest standing high score (this was during his "Tony Hawks huge fringe - listening to the Cure" stage)
Hands sweating (as well as every other part of my body because we had no air cond back then and summers in country Western Australia are annoyingly hot!)
Hammering away on the last level - got to a demon - he did the usual swoop loop thing with a fireball.. and I dont know why - I knew the attack pattern and had studied while my siblings played and also played against it over and over - but he killed me on my last life. In response I had some kind of bodily reaction which turned out to be a tantrum like leg kick as little Arthur died...

My Foot clipped the power box that the tele, disk drive and machine was plugged into...

everything went black - The beads of heat sweat on my forehead instantly became beads of worry sweat..

Plugged her all back in securely - tired to re-load my (at the time) favourite game back up "*",8,1 Return.. .. .. The disk had been wiped. "Nooooooooooooooooooo!!"
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

merman

Post by merman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:51 am

Thanks for sharing, but the article has now gone into print in issue 106, so no further contributions needed.

Sounds strange though - unless it was accessing the disk, switching off should not have wiped it. I will confess to once writing over my Bushido (by Graftgold) original by saving the game to it...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

smilertoo

Post by smilertoo » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:14 am

Early games i played a lot were loco and blagger; later it mission impossible and summer games.
yes i have a sig.