For the mag: Commodore 64 memories

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

For the mag: Commodore 64 memories

Post by merman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 am

August marks the 30th anniversary of the C64's launch, and we would like your memories of the machine. Did you get it as a present or save up? What was the game that made you choose a C64, or the game you could not stop playing? Are you still a fan of the C64 and use it regularly?

Selected answers will be published to accompany a special feature with many top names who worked on the C64.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

noobish hat

Re: For the mag: Commodore 64 memories

Post by noobish hat » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:16 am

Back in about 1990 when I was just a nipper, I was spending Christmas at my great gran's house. I remember late one evening my dad came through the front door carrying a cardboard box. Inside there was a C64, some joysticks, and a whole bunch of tapes. To the best of my recollection, they were the first games I ever played. My dad, my brother, and I stayed up playing 1942, Commando, Fast Food, Chase HQ, you name it. A night I'll never forget.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:22 am

I had a Vic20 but my 2 cousins had a C64 so I often got to play on that - then one day in 1986, I got a shiny (second hand) C64 and never looked back.

I don't have the original (binned it when girls and beer became more of interest to me) but now own 4 (as I realise that girls and beer are not all they are cracked up to be....actually, I still love the beer)
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:38 am

I have no memories to add as a speccy kid :wink: but look forward to reading your article Andrew! Hope you have as much fun writing it as I did the Spectrum one.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:06 pm

I sold my Vic 20 to put towards a C64 (back then, we didn't have the luxury of owning more than one machine at a time, did we?!?) and though I will always have a soft spot for my first love, the 64 is the one that filled my heart with most joy over the years. The first game I ever loaded up was Twin Kingdom Valley and it felt like a whole new world was opening up, on many levels :)

Good luck with the article Merman - you are the man to do our beige beauty justice!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:21 pm

I saved up for my Commodore 64. Worked hard in the rain picking up muddy golf balls at a driving range for many months. Finally got it, superceding the Vic-20 which I then treated like a red-headed stepchild with gleeful abandon, smashing it several times a day against walls, concrete driveways, etc. Amassed a wonderful collection of C64 games, it was actually Decathlon on a friend's system that made me save for one frantically, but games like Wonderboy, Salamander, Combat School - these are the kinds of games I turned most to in my times of need, like about 4 hours a day after school.

I loved my Commodore 64, so much so that I ended up having 5 of them. I never ended up having kids so perhaps they were substitutes. I still sleep with some of the joysticks and empty tape covers to this day.
Last edited by ncf1 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:05 pm

The c64 was the only 8 bit I wanted and I got one for Christmas 1984. I remember going into the local computer shop well before Christmas with my parents to choose the Commodore, a datasette, a joystick and some games - Danger Mouse in Double Trouble, Select 1 compilation, and Ghostbusters. I bought a few other games, Chiller by Mastertronic for one, from a local independent newsagent in the weeks leading up to Christmas.

I remember trying to convince my mum and dad that I really needed to test the c64 on Christmas eve just in case there were any issues and by doing this it'd be ready to go on Christmas morning. Unbelievably they went for my idea! I set up the c64, of course it worked, and I proceeded to load Ghostbusters. Unfortunately I wasn't allowed the joystick so my fun was curtailed a little. Until I discovered the cry of 'Ghostbusters' whenever I pressed the spacebar that is. The spacebar has never again been quite so much fun! There were so many great games that kept me faithful to the C64; Bruce Lee, International Soccer, Impossible Mission, Way of the Exploding Fist, Paradroid, Pitstop, Summer Games, Winter Games, Last Ninja, Pitstop 2, Uridium, Boulderdash, the text adventures from Infocom and Level 9, and loads of cheap games from Mastertronic. The list goes on and on. Those were good days.

I still have and use a c64. It's my ordinal unit from '84. I've since added a pristine 'bread bin' with a 1541, a C64c and mkII 1541 and a few other bits of hardware. Only a couple of weeks ago I added a brand new game to my small but perfectly formed C64 game selection. I picked up a cartridge version of the brilliant new platform game Soulless. 30 years and my beloved micro is still giving.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:47 pm

My first memory of the C.64 was the very first time i saw International Soccer at my friends house. I was amazed at how great it looked and played and was blown away by the fact that you could head the ball up the pitch from one end to the other. Then we played Suicide Express and the music was just miles and miles better than anything i'd heared from a computer before. Then he loaded Impossible Mission and the opening speech almost made me wee myself. It really was that good. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 pm

My parents evidently saw the video crash before many other people. That's the only reason I can come up with them selling our Atari 2600 in late 1983, but keeping a couple of the joysticks back for the future. What future? As I was to discover, it would eventually be beige. They didn't like the keyboard of the Speccy, they wanted something with "a proper keyboard". A few months later, one of my father's work colleague was selling his system, and he bought it. So I come downstairs one weekend morning in March 1984 and discover this set up on the dining room table. Cue excited hysteria.

As many of you know, it's rather stayed with me ever since. I wouldn't trade those memories for anything else. Even if I've traded a lot of money to get my hands on various software titles ever since!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:48 pm

I remember it like yesterday, I would always come down stairs early in the morning to get to it, there it was sitting in the corner lookng back at me, i ran over to it, wildly pushing the keys like a boy possessed, eventually my C64 would throw my 2 slices of bread out....though I only had Vitalite so it was a bit of an anticlimax tbh

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I had a Vic-20 when I first played on a C64, in 1983. Someone had just moved in two doors up from me, and I played Aztec Challenge on his. I couldn't get the music out of my head for the rest of the day, and I knew I had to get one. I think I got it for Christmas that year.

I had a 1541 disk drive, printer (I had printed "loading screens" on my wall), an Action Replay cart, and even a light pen! It was a fantastic time to have a computer and the games were varied and exciting. Plus, getting Zzap!64 each month was a major event!

In 1987 I had to sell it (as I'd done with my Vic-20), to get my Amiga 500, but in the late '90s I got another one and an Action Replay cartridge, then shortly afterwards my first eBay purchase was a 1541, and two years ago I got a C64c from a forum member.

I'm looking forward to the article :D
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Turn back the clock, set it to early 1984: Class 8A is going through the school year, its members participating in the classic adulthood rites of their preferred religion.
Having none, I merrily went my way through the year not thinking much about it, until my dad (not _really_ being up to speed) suggested I could get a computer if we dropped all this festivities and stuff (that was at least 6 month late for anything like that to happen anyway...). Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Then I go about and balls it all up by picking a Spectravideo 318. Shut up - I know.
This part of the story ends when, by summertime, I had it swapped for a C= 64 plus tapedrive, and all was well in the world.

I can't really put my finger on why, but for some reason I get nostalgic for both 64 and Amiga in the summertime with hot sunny days, and I feel this intense urge to code something.

But the reason for picking the 64 is very plain, very easy: You could easily get shyteloads of games at low cost. 30-60 games on a C90 tape. And when 10-15 of your classmates also had a 64 the choice should be obvious. And eventually it was.
I later went on to get both a 1541, 1701, and a C= printer.

---

There are times I am not sure games designers have thought about Impossible Mission and how good it is. It is a random maze type of game, while it has pattern/static room layouts, but random robot movements (though limited selection), a puzzle game, and a very nice punishment model where you lose time when doing a mistake.
One of the best games ever made. Spent large parts of a summer playing that.

webding

Post by webding » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:44 pm

I am forever grateful to my sister for parting with a massive chunk of her savings to buy a 64. She barely used it, and I inherited (i.e. stole) it in no time. How that transformer didn't burn a hole in my bedroom carpet over the next 5-6 years is beyond me.

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Have many fond memories of nipping down to my mate's house to have a bash at Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Stunt car Racer or Platoon...I was so impressed by the soundtracks on a lot of the games, I persuaded him to let me sit at his for hours and use his stereo to record them to tape! I've still got the Ghouls 'n' Ghosts music on one, complete with clickity-click joystick noises as he played through the levels! :lol:

We also used to have great fun with Pitstop 2, trying to cause enough damage to blow out each other's tyres and I remember being very jealous that I couldn't get it on the Speccy! Finally got a copy when I picked up my own C64 in the late nineties, although unfortunately by that point I couldn't persuade anyone to play it with me, and it's a bit rubbish as a single player racer...
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Never owned one during its heyday (Spectrum instead), but a friend did. Spent many, many hours round his place tackling Paradroid, Impossible Mission, Pit Stop 2, Summer/Winter Games, Monty On The Run, Uridium and sooooooo many others (Football Manager was a joke, though - 20 minutes to load!) Didn't alter my view of my all-conquering Spectrum, though. :D Zzap64 was a good read, too.