Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by merman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:13 am

NorthWay wrote:
martyg wrote:It's weird though, when I included the homebrews in my articles in the past (5200, 7800) I got chastised. It's hard trying to please everyone, there always seems to be two camps.
This is a _collectors_ guide, yes? (Not shooting at you, just saying.)

Professionally produced homebrew (especially of the good kind) sounds collectable to me. Especially when you run out of originals very very quickly.
Numbers can change principles IMO. Feel free to disagree.
The Vectrex is perhaps a unique situation, the way the homebrew market grew was on incredibly limited editions of physical carts and making the ROM available for users with a Flash cart. So it will be incredibly difficult to get hold of the homebrew as collector's items. Thus I can understand Mat going for an overview of the commercial titles that will in general be easier to obtain. Perhaps a follow-up article focusing on the homebrew Vectrex scene would be good?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:05 am

merman wrote:Perhaps a follow-up article focusing on the homebrew Vectrex scene would be good?
I think something like this would be great, not just for the Vectrex but for other consoles that have a really strong homebrew scene too like the Dreamcast, Jaguar, 7800, Lynx, 2600, Coleco Vision and Philips Videopac. I don't think homebrew games get enough love in RG, there are so many that have never even been mentioned in the mag let alone covered and the developers are very easy to get hold of.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:04 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
merman wrote:Perhaps a follow-up article focusing on the homebrew Vectrex scene would be good?
I think something like this would be great, not just for the Vectrex but for other consoles that have a really strong homebrew scene too like the Dreamcast, Jaguar, 7800, Lynx, 2600, Coleco Vision and Philips Videopac. I don't think homebrew games get enough love in RG, there are so many that have never even been mentioned in the mag let alone covered and the developers are very easy to get hold of.
Yes, I'd find this interesting... across all formats listed above . . . the coleco vision is a great bit of kit.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:I think something like this would be great, not just for the Vectrex but for other consoles that have a really strong homebrew scene
Not a bad idea. I'd suggest doing a "Homebrew collectors corner" showing off professionally produced items. I like how many 2600 games have had design compos.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:03 am

I suggest you folks start petitioning Darran :mrgreen:

I would love to write homebrew articles for different platforms.
Last edited by The Laird on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:02 am

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:07 am

"...ready or not, here you come"?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm

So when exactly is ChipTune's RetroGamer 105 coming out, it must be any day now, hopefully Darran is busy making him cups of coffee on demand! The likelihood....

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:16 am

WOW, what can I say really? Missed all of this until just now when I clicked on issue 104 feedback instead of issue 105, it's nice to see I'm a talking point in my absence.

Just to clarify for everyone. I am not the major share holder of retro Gamer Magazine, I am also the new editor and ALL articles will be written by me. Everyone was very good about being fired and I gave them all a bag of Malteasers for all their hard work.

All letters in the letters page will be written by, and replied to, by me. All photos in the mag will be photoshopped to include me, and the title of the mag will now be Chiptune's Guide to Gaming.

I hope that clears everything up.