Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Hiro wrote:What about the "barely 100 games for the Amiga in 1990"? Just to say one.
Oh for goodness' sake. Over-literal much? There was a Top 100, so OBVIOUSLY there were considerably more than 100 games. It's a figure of speech, a slightly more colourful way of pointing out that there were far fewer games around in 1990. I've said people should be brutally killed with jagged rocks in features before, do you think I'm ACTUALLY LITERALLY advocating their murder? God save us from magazines as dull and po-faced as the ones you apparently want to read.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:57 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
Hiro wrote:What about the "barely 100 games for the Amiga in 1990"? Just to say one.
Oh for goodness' sake. Over-literal much? There was a Top 100, so OBVIOUSLY there were considerably more than 100 games. It's a figure of speech, a slightly more colourful way of pointing out that there were far fewer games around in 1990. I've said people should be brutally killed with jagged rocks in features before, do you think I'm ACTUALLY LITERALLY advocating their murder? God save us from magazines as dull and po-faced as the ones you apparently want to read.

Actually, you were more accurate than you may think, I was working in a Microbyte shop in '89 and although there may have been several hundred games released for the Amiga and ST at the time, there would have only been around 100 titles easily available on any given month across all of the shops.
HADDOCKEN!

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Just finished reading the Kick off piece, wow that was hilarious! Thankyou Stuart for providing the hearty chuckles. I do remember getting into Kick Off 2 at the time especially, and there was a period where I felt I was "on top of things" but stop playing it for a bit and that goes very quickly, you play it again and wonder What on earth is the fuss all about? But if you do persist, then persist a bit more, then just a tad bit more after that, Kick Off 2 at least becomes somewhat of an enjoyable experience, but no, you never quite feel under control of things which led to to discovering of Virtua Striker 2 (of course they had to invent it first) - the best soccer game ever made (arcade) - and I havent touched KO2, or its ilk, since.

But again thanks for a wonderfully written article, I really enjoyed it.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:26 pm

As someone who goes on gameplay above everything else put together, I always considered Kick Off and its sequel to be much better games than Sensible Soccer, by a country mile. No ifs, no buts, KO KO'd SS. Sensible Soccer isn't football, it's a twisted form of Sokoban.

I haven't yet read the article, but I'll nip into the newsagents tomorrow to pick up this month's RG. From the sounds of it, I'll have a good laugh at Stuart's article, even if I strongly disagree with him.
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

goonergaz

Post by goonergaz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:52 am

Think I'll my sub having read the lack of respect shown to paying customers...it was fun while it lasted but I really don't care for the attitude nor hypocrisy...I thought our opinions mattered but clearly it's only when you agree with them.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:23 am

Jonathan wrote:Sensible Soccer isn't football, it's a twisted form of Sokoban.
I would seriously love to hear the rationale behind that conclusion.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 am

goonergaz wrote:Think I'll my sub having read the lack of respect shown to paying customers...it was fun while it lasted but I really don't care for the attitude nor hypocrisy...I thought our opinions mattered but clearly it's only when you agree with them.
IMO that's a ridiculous thing to do over one article and its author's opinion versus your own...but hey-ho, if it makes you feel better.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 am

goonergaz wrote:Think I'll my sub having read the lack of respect shown to paying customers...it was fun while it lasted but I really don't care for the attitude nor hypocrisy...I thought our opinions mattered but clearly it's only when you agree with them.
So let me get this straight. You don't like an opinion that's been written in the magazine because it doesn't agree with yours so you're cancelling your sub, because the staff also don't agree with your personal opinion? sorry to hear that, but it's your decision. Maybe you'll return when we do a making of Kick Off 2...

goonergaz

Post by goonergaz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:17 am

I don't even mention the article in my post...what is it with you guys and your inability to read what people type?

I do have an issue with the article (obviously) but (as I said) having read your 'responses' to the negative feedback it's clear that you don't care about our opinions if they don't match your own - see I have the ability to understand that someone might dislike a game but I wouldn't dream of forcing my opinion on people like you have. All we asked for was a balanced article but clearly this is not an acceptable request, so I simply don't want to read more articles of hate. I didn't even know it was Stuarts article let alone his pure hatred for the game (seriously, a dedicated wall of hate - how sad is that).

Sorry if this goes against the grain, but like I said - I like to enjoy my nostagic trips.
Last edited by goonergaz on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:21 am

24 pages eh!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:22 am

goonergaz wrote:see I have the ability to understand that someone might dislike a game but I wouldn't dream of forcing my opinion on people like you have.
Sorry, how exactly does one go about "forcing" an opinion on someone else? The opinion is presented, you can agree or disagree with it, you can even argue about it, but that's it. Nobody's beating you over the head. Nobody's waterboarding you until you admit Kick Off is a load of old badger toilet. You still like it? Great, go play it and enjoy yourself. Stop throwing such a toys-out-the-pram pouting fit that other people don't, and trying to pretend that that isn't what you're doing.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:26 am

goonergaz wrote: All we asked for was a balanced article but clearly this is not an acceptable request, so I simply don't want to read more articles of hate.

That's the nub of the matter, why do you want a balanced article? Why can't RG print an entertaining opinion piece?
HADDOCKEN!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:57 am

Scapegoat wrote:
goonergaz wrote: All we asked for was a balanced article but clearly this is not an acceptable request, so I simply don't want to read more articles of hate.

That's the nub of the matter, why do you want a balanced article? Why can't RG print an entertaining opinion piece?
He's probably the same as me. He wants to read an article about a game rather than what somebody thinks about a game. Fact and information rather than opinion. If I want opinions I can visit a forum.
This KO2 row is why I prefer writers to maintain some distance from the readership. It looks as if the author was a bad choice because he's apparently widely regarded as being biased in favour of Sensible Soccer. It doesn't even matter whether that's true or not, it's the perception by others that counts here. A perception that was always going to colour people's view of the article.
When I pay money for a magazine I expect the writers to know their stuff and I expect no bias or hidden agendas. If there's an opinion piece I want both sides. I want a balanced article. Even in a review I want the pros and the cons. But the author must have credibility, even if it's an illusion created by distance from the readership. It's the difference between a fanzine and a professional magazine to me. The difference between a worthy article and just another mouth putting out a forum post because they have an axe to grind
When you don't know much about the author you tend to read without any preconceptions. When the author is known, and outspoken, it's too easy to project their personality into the article and see a lot of things that aren't there. And also see the obvious negativity that actually is there.

I'm hoping it's a one-off.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

goonergaz

Post by goonergaz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 am

Scapegoat wrote:

They can - but it should be labeled as such rather than dressed as a 'definitive guide'.

goonergaz

Post by goonergaz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:12 am

The Beans wrote:
Scapegoat wrote:

He's probably the same as me. He wants to read an article about a game rather than what somebody thinks about a game. Fact and information rather than opinion. If I want opinions I can visit a forum.
This KO2 row is why I prefer writers to maintain some distance from the readership. It looks as if the author was a bad choice because he's apparently widely regarded as being biased in favour of Sensible Soccer. It doesn't even matter whether that's true or not, it's the perception by others that counts here. A perception that was always going to colour people's view of the article.
When I pay money for a magazine I expect the writers to know their stuff and I expect no bias or hidden agendas. If there's an opinion piece I want both sides. I want a balanced article. Even in a review I want the pros and the cons. But the author must have credibility, even if it's an illusion created by distance from the readership. It's the difference between a fanzine and a professional magazine to me. The difference between a worthy article and just another mouth putting out a forum post because they have an axe to grind
When you don't know much about the author you tend to read without any preconceptions. When the author is known, and outspoken, it's too easy to project their personality into the article and see a lot of things that aren't there. And also see the obvious negativity that actually is there.

I'm hoping it's a one-off.
Thank you. Why can't the writers understand this? If they were going to have this type of article all along then why not invite a KO fan to write a small description of their love for the game - at least this would offer some balance.