Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ncf1

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:52 pm

..Chiptune has been offered to write for the magazine? damn...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:42 pm

ncf1 wrote:..Chiptune has been offered to write for the magazine? damn...
No he hasn't. Don't people read?

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Blooming' ell, Chiptune been employed as a staff writer!! :D :lol:
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm

..no, I'm saying he SHOULD! get him onboard as soon as possible dammit

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Nemesis wrote:Blooming' ell, Chiptune been employed as a staff writer!! :D :lol:
*Is it an agony aunt style column? :?

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
It's more like football than any football videogame I've ever played before or since
comedy gold :D SWOS is a great game, but more like football than anything else....arf.

The PS2 era Pro Evo series is the closest we have to the real thing.

Agreed.

*I know he hasn't really.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Sad to see that pic of Daley Thompson in the back of the mag - he'd clearly been involved a punch up........how else did he get that white eye?
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:41 am

Wow, Issue 105's arrived here already, can't believe you made Chiptune guest editor. :shock:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:13 am

Changing the name to Chiptune Gamer was a bit over-the-top, though.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:04 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Changing the name to Chiptune Gamer was a bit over-the-top, though.

OK, I don't want to turn this off-topic, but I totally dig the name 'Chiptune Gamer' for a magazine :lol:

R

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:15 am

Another suggestion for new name.
Retro Gamer featuring Chiptune. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:18 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
AmigaJay wrote: Well you missed the 10 year Xbox anniversary in March, at least you covered the GameCube this issue :roll:
:roll:
I can do that as well.
The fact is we tread carefully around last gen because so many forumites are sooooo precious about stuff. Particularly if it's not computer related.
In this case we just thought frick it, and did it anyway. Maybe we should start doing that a lot more in the future...
Personally I love the original xbox, and ten years is a long time in technology. I still use my xboxes (multiple), and the still impress when outputting via component video.

Please commission some articles on this great machine (and the gamecube). They're barely any younger than the Dreamcast, which gets plenty of love, and has done for a good long while in the magazine.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:22 am

neuromancer wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
AmigaJay wrote: Well you missed the 10 year Xbox anniversary in March, at least you covered the GameCube this issue :roll:
:roll:
I can do that as well.
The fact is we tread carefully around last gen because so many forumites are sooooo precious about stuff. Particularly if it's not computer related.
In this case we just thought frick it, and did it anyway. Maybe we should start doing that a lot more in the future...
Personally I love the original xbox, and ten years is a long time in technology. I still use my xboxes (multiple), and the still impress when outputting via component video.

Please commission some articles on this great machine (and the gamecube). They're barely any younger than the Dreamcast, which gets plenty of love, and has done for a good long while in the magazine.
Well said, neuromancer, you beautiful, sensual man.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:13 pm

neuromancer wrote:Please commission some articles on this great machine (and the gamecube). They're barely any younger than the Dreamcast, which gets plenty of love, and has done for a good long while in the magazine.
You sure? I don't remember seeing any more DC coverage than I have Xbox and GC :shock:

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

The Dreamcast made the cover and had a lot of features in, what was it, issue 50?

edit: indeed it was issue 50

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/index.php ... ew/id/636/

I don't recall the Xbox ever gracing the cover, or the GameCube for that matter.

I'm not all 'last gen' or any-gen crazy. I grew up with the vcs, zx-81 and Speccy, but I love the atari 8-bit to death, I owned an St, megadrive (I love the 32X), but I now love the current gen as well.
Last edited by neuromancer on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Well, I've just finished reading this epic feedback thread (whilst reinstalling bloody sql 2008 four times, and visual studio 2010 once - yes, the thread was really really long).

Wow. just wow. I haven't seen a virtual punch-up on the forum in a long while. Last one I got involved in was a massive Atari 8-bit vs C64 'chat' some years back.

I had KO2, and Final Whistle, on the ST, and Sensi on the MD. A couple of days ago, after reading 'the article' I was chatting to a mate about Sensi vs Kick-off, but I had no idea that the piece had sparked so much passion on the feedback pages. I'd rather see some of this than a dull non-participatory forum any day. Stu's writing is always engaging, but has never enraged me (not so far, anyhow!)

Personally I found 104 to be a great issue, although I'd rather have seen the Skool Daze cover make the cut. Maybe it's time to get scanning and run another few rounds of 'best cover' polls?
Last edited by neuromancer on Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.