Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rainbird rich

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by rainbird rich » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Sorry, a bit late to this party!

As a big fan of Kick Off 2 back in the day, the original project manager on Sensible Soccer (I did end up doing some bug hunting and freelance PM on it once it switched publishers), a bug hunter and manual writer for 'Dino Dini's Goal!' and a Luton Town supporter and season ticket holder for over 30 years... errmm... I've just forgotten what I was going to say, but thanks Stuart for at least mentioning my footie team in the same breath as Barca! ;-)
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
merman wrote:... so here was an article that told it like it is.
Or to put that another way, 'An article written by a Sensible Soccer nut on a mission to slate his favoured series' main competitor'.
Arf. As I noted in the piece, whether you measure by critical response or by sales Kick Off is a "competitor" to Sensible Soccer in the same way Luton Town are a "competitor" to Barcelona. I only mentioned Sensi once in the piece because Kick Off isn't pish compared to Sensible Soccer, it's just pish full stop.
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm

kiwimike wrote:Are you saying the tone of RG has changed, or that features and reviews should always be done with those that agree with your opinion? :)
No.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Jonathan wrote:Sensible Soccer isn't football, it's a twisted form of Sokoban.
I would seriously love to hear the rationale behind that conclusion.
Just play it, you'll either see it or you won't. One thing Sensi isn't is football.
No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer over at https://jonathan-cauldwell.itch.io/
I am not on Twitter.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:53 pm

Jonathan wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Sensible Soccer isn't football, it's a twisted form of Sokoban.
I would seriously love to hear the rationale behind that conclusion.
Just play it, you'll either see it or you won't. One thing Sensi isn't is football.
I disagree. It's more like football than any football videogame I've ever played before or since. I still want to know how you can possibly compare it to Sokoban. There must be a reasoning behind the statement, so why not just tell us? I'm the guy who pointed out how Gran Turismo was in fact based on The Pit, so I've got a pretty open mind about that sort of thing...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:It's more like football than any football videogame I've ever played before or since.
Agreed 100%

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:34 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:It's more like football than any football videogame I've ever played before or since.
Agreed 100%
Frankly I don't see how Sensible Soccer can be more like football than any other video game interpretation. It plays nothing like real football after all.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:19 am

I disagree. It's more like football than any football videogame I've ever played before or since.
You hate Kick Off for being unrealistic but you come out with a corker like that! Sorry but it's time to take those rose tinted specs off Stu!

Don't get me wrong I used to love playing both of those games and tried most football games ever made tbh but the latest footy games FIFA and a few years ago Pro Evo clearly are more realistic and play closer to football than any game in the past, games evolve from previous football games, I.e Kick Off was one of the few if not the first to have a ball that didn't stick to your foot, Sensi was one of the first to incorporate proper passing, but you can't say the latest don't include those features, as well as offsides, overhead kicks and other moves that stop it being the same sort of movement you see in KO and SS, movement off the ball, much better A.I...there's countless other features that make it a better overall experience and play more like football than Sensi.

Of course if you enjoy playing Sensible Soccer more than the latest footy games then it's your choice, Sensi and Kick Off were BOTH amazing in their day, but are both looking outdated now, retro sport games outdate a heck of a lot quicker than normal retro games and their faults are more clear to see.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:17 am

Moaning about how realistic one computer football game is compared to another is pretty lame. Especially if those games are 25 years old.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:53 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Agreed 100%
Stu missed two letters off... U and N from like...

Although, as I watched the Euros, I did notice how the ball was glued to players feet and how every game ended 15-0...

Gee....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:58 am

Yeah, yeah, I'm bored of whiny Kick Off fans now. How the hell is Sensible Soccer like Sokoban?

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:22 am

I enjoyed Issue 104, but after reading several pages of this thread I have completely forgotten why.

I like Matchday as it plays like solitaire.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:39 am

Jagfest_UK wrote:
The Beans wrote:It comes off the back of seeing jagfestUK taken in as a writer for the magazine and then Chiptune offering his services for the homebrew section and being taken up on his offer by RGCD. It's not really a trend I'm happy with. These are forum members who lack credibility for me. I already know too much about them.
So what writing of mine have you actually read? You might want to wait and see what I write for Retro Gamer before criticising it. Personal opinions on a forum are one thing and my writing is another, I would love to know what it is you say you already "know about me"
Whilst I was quite amused to hear that Jagest and Chiptune were going to write for the mag I will certainly reserve any judgement on their work until i've actually read something in print, knowing what it is like to have ones own work critically ripped to shreds i firmly believe that all writers aspiring or otherwise deserve this courtesy.
Their credibilty, as The Beans put it, as forum members should not taint anyones opinion of their submitted and published RG work, although i think for some forum members this may prove difficult as the meat of this thread has proven.
EDIT. whilst were on the subject of credibility, does anyone else think that Fifa plays exactly like Skyrim? :roll:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Yeah, yeah, I'm bored of whiny Kick Off fans now. How the hell is Sensible Soccer like Sokoban?
It begins with an 'S'?
Or maybe he just can't find the diagonals? :lol:

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:43 am

Nemesis wrote:Frankly I don't see how Sensible Soccer can be more like football than any other video game interpretation. It plays nothing like real football after all.
For me its because Sensible Soccer is fast moving and incredibly fun to play, most of the time you have a split second to decide what to do - an ex-semi-pro footballer this reminds me of actually playing the real game. Its obvious new stuff like FIFA is more realistic in terms of features but it dosn't remind me at all of playing the real game.

And for those who talk about the ball sticking to your foot I assume they are playing one of the console versions on an easy setting.
gman72 wrote:Whilst I was quite amused to hear that Jagest and Chiptune were going to write for the mag I will certainly reserve any judgement on their work until i've actually read something in print, knowing what it is like to have ones own work critically ripped to shreds i firmly believe that all writers aspiring or otherwise deserve this courtesy.
I wasn't aware that Chiptune was now writing for RG! :shock:

I would be surprised seen as he has been banned from here several times and has somewhat of a reputation for his mad ranting and getting warned by mods.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:04 am

Just to confirm Chiptune isn't writing for the magazine. He expressed an interest in the homebrew section, but has not submitted anything (as far as I know). His passion for highlighting indie games, did inspire us to put together the clones feature that has just gone to print though.