Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by nakamura » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:26 am

I think people have taken this miles too seriously. Who cares if Stuart hates the game, it makes no difference to the people that loved it no does it. ]

I love Zelda and if RG publish a feature saying it is crap for whatever reason, frankly I couldn't care less.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:29 am

It's because some people feel they have the right to dictate the type of articles that appear, just because they read the mag.
HADDOCKEN!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:31 am

DRS wrote:(actually, Stu doesn't write in the first person, using the royal 'we' like other freelancers, but i get what Daz means - Stu C is allowed to express his opinions pretty freely).
In fact I'm normally allowed a tiny bit of privilege in that regard, but this month some mustard-keen sub stripped even those out, leading to the piece suggesting the rather silly notion that the entire Retro Gamer team, rather than just me, had had a KO2 challenge against Amiga Format in 1991. Kids today...

:D

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:35 am

nakamura wrote:I think people have taken this miles too seriously. Who cares if Stuart hates the game, it makes no difference to the people that loved it no does it. ]

I love Zelda and if RG publish a feature saying it is crap for whatever reason, frankly I couldn't care less.
My view is, its not quite like that - you're missing the point. I just thought it wasn't a good article. And people are free to express that, the same as people are free to express they loved it.
Scapegoat wrote:It's because some people feel they have the right to dictate the type of articles that appear, just because they read the mag.
from my perspective, thats not quite how it is. People are free to express what they like and dislike. Its nothing to do with "dictating" at all. Better to say where you feel the mag is lacking, rather than not buy it.

I praise the magazine when I like things, i.e. the fantastic Vectrex article, but I'll also say when I don't like an article and try and explain why. . . often badly, but hey....

The mag can listen, understand, or think I'm wrong... thats down to them. . . . . as it keeps getting thrown around, its about opinion.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:38 am

the_hawk wrote:Would people genuinely prefer a list of dry auld facts you could find within 5 minutes of a google search rather than reading the opinions of someone with a passion for something (be it positive or negative)?

I can't imagine that if someone wrote an article slating my favourite games say Speedball 2, Robotron or Football Manager I'd get so wound up about it. In fact I'd probably have a chuckle about it, then go back to having another go on them & think more fool them, they're missing out a great game. :?
Couldn't agree more, take all the reviews out of the mag because, they too have, shock horror, personal opinion in them. Didn't see it as a hate fest myself at all, nor a 'deliberate attempt at trolling.' To me, if you take that angle, IMO that would assume that someone is going to get really precious about a years old game instead of realising the whole point is some fun as well. Which judging by this topic they did! :lol: I like a bit of personal opinion thrown in myself, it can end up with some interesting debates. As long as people are frankly going to take their hand off it and not get silly and snotty. You can have a good arguement, but shake hands at the end and buy each other a virtual beer, rather than grump how superior the other game is and/or run off for a dictionary for the correct definition of 'Definative.!'
It's as silly as going all idiotic if a music mag knocks an album or artist you like. Who gives a ****? Seriously? Instead of getting all miffed and threatening subscription cancellations, you laugh it off! Say the other games much better, you egg!
Personally, I don't care for soccer games anyway...Madden or NHL kicks both their asses...There you go, something to really get stuck into... :wink:
Last edited by kiwimike on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:40 am

nakamura wrote:I think people have taken this miles too seriously. Who cares if Stuart hates the game, it makes no difference to the people that loved it no does it. ]

That's the spirit! PS Zelda sucks :wink:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:37 am

I haven't read the KO piece yet, but got to say it seems a little strange/disappointing that the job of writing a KO piece went to the king of anti KO. But then again I am sure I will read it and enjoy it (even if I don't agree).

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:41 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
The Beans wrote:Yes. It's up to the editor to get a handle on what's what. In the case of the "definitive" articles it's probably time for a name change.
You noticed that the piece WASN'T called "The Definitive Kick Off", right?
It was sold as such.
Take a look at the RG website.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:58 am

kiwimike wrote:It's as silly as going all idiotic if a music mag knocks an album or artist you like. Who gives a ****?:
I'd actually give a ***.
If a music magazine is knocking the albums or artists I like then it has no relevance to my tastes in music. I'd absolutely stop buying it.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:03 am

I haven't been on the forum for a while, so the amount of chatter around the Kick Off piece took me aback a little.

I'm assuming those that didn't like it will be falling over each other to write a Readers Revival by way of a printed right of reply though...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:14 am

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 am

If you think this debate is OTT, just wait for the shtstorm that's coming when the Americans get their copies of the issue. They love themselves some Amiga soccer sims.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am

The Beans wrote:
kiwimike wrote:It's as silly as going all idiotic if a music mag knocks an album or artist you like. Who gives a ****?:
I'd actually give a ***.
If a music magazine is knocking the albums or artists I like then it has no relevance to my tastes in music. I'd absolutely stop buying it.
So no magazine you read has ever said anything bad about an artist you like?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:02 am

greenberet79 wrote:
The Beans wrote:
I'd actually give a ***.
So no magazine you read has ever said anything bad about an artist you like?
Lots of magazines have said bad stuff about artists I like. But if the tone of a magazine changes and the music I like is mocked or not covered at all or reviews of the bands I like are being done by open haters of that style of music etc then obviously I'm going to stop buying that magazine. What would be the point of me reading it?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:16 am

So are you saying that you'd have been perfectly happy with the kick off piece if it was exactly the same and hadn't been written by Stuart?
I just don't understand how this is still running (well I can, but it makes no sense).