Retro Gamer Issue 104

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 104

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:50 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: I've said what I wished to say on the matter already. Just as certain other people have here. It's all there in the thread.

You may not agree but that's fine.
I don't agree because I no longer understand what your objection is. It certainly SOUNDED a lot like you were unhappy that someone with a different opinion to you was allowed to write a feature about something. If it wasn't that, please explain what it was.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:03 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: Did you not see the Feedback thread discussion of issue 101's 'Collector's Guide' on NES?
The one where you confused the writers opinion as fact?
No, the one that was published.
Yeah which was a passionate opinion piece about why you should collect for a machine that is infinately better than any atari console ever made.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I've said what I wished to say on the matter already. Just as certain other people have here. It's all there in the thread.

I don't agree because I no longer understand what your objection is. It certainly SOUNDED a lot like you were unhappy that someone with a different opinion to you was allowed to write a feature about something. If it wasn't that, please explain what it was.
You're essentially asking me to combine into one post all the valid points raised by myself and others that I've agreed with over a thread spanning twenty pages. You've not agreed with any (that I recall) of the criticisms made by a numerous people regarding the commissioning of such an article before so it's a complete waste of my time copy/pasting the same posts once more.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah which was a passionate opinion piece about why you should collect for a machine that is infinately better than any atari console ever made.
Oi!!!!! :x

:cry:

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:15 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:

You're essentially asking me to combine into one post all the valid points raised by myself and others
Blah blah. I find a near-infallible sign that someone's lost an argument is when they spend several sentences/paragraphs/posts huffily explaining why it is they CAN'T simply tell you what it is they're trying to say, rather than just saving a lot time and saying it.

It's a simple enough question: if I'm allowed to have a different opinion to you and there are no factual errors, what is it you object to about the Kick Off feature? And the reason I'm asking is that all your previous posts appeared to be founded on the premise that I in fact wasn't allowed to have a different opinion to you, but now you seem to have changed your mind about that.
Last edited by Rev. Stuart Campbell on Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:16 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: You've not agreed with any (that I recall) of the criticisms made by a numerous people regarding the commissioning of such an article before so it's a complete waste of my time copy/pasting the same posts once more.
In a nutshell:

The argument: People who like Kick Off feel that someone who doesn't like Kick Off shouldn't be allowed to write an article about Kick Off.

The counter argument: Why?
HADDOCKEN!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Yeah which was a passionate opinion piece about why you should collect for a machine that is infinately better than any atari console ever made.
Oi!!!!! :x

:cry:
:wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:39 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Blah blah. I find a near-infallible sign that someone's lost an argument is when they spend several sentences/paragraphs/posts huffily explaining why it is they CAN'T simply tell you what it is they're trying to say, rather than just saving a lot time and saying it.

It's a simple enough question: if I'm allowed to have a different opinion to you and there are no factual errors, what is it you object to about the Kick Off feature? And the reason I'm asking is that all your previous posts appeared to be founded on the premise that I in fact wasn't allowed to have a different opinion to you, but now you seem to have changed your mind about that.
If that's your interpretation then fine, you're entitled to your opinion.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:55 pm

Scapegoat wrote:
In a nutshell:

The argument: People who like Kick Off feel that someone who doesn't like Kick Off shouldn't be allowed to write an article about Kick Off.

The counter argument: Why?
:D
Awesome. :lol:
So the question is set.
All those who didn't like the article and think that Stuart shouldnt have been allowed to write it now is your chance to set the record straight.
C'mon, don't be shy, tell us why. :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:01 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Blah blah. I find a near-infallible sign that someone's lost an argument is when they spend several sentences/paragraphs/posts huffily explaining why it is they CAN'T simply tell you what it is they're trying to say, rather than just saving a lot time and saying it.

If that's your interpretation then fine, you're entitled to your opinion.
So that's three posts and counting where you're telling us that you can't actually tell us what you're objecting to. Wouldn't it have been a lot quicker just to say?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:... you're telling us that you can't actually tell us what you're objecting to
I never said that.

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:46 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:... you're telling us that you can't actually tell us what you're objecting to
I never said that.
And that's four.

What is it you actually object to about the Kick Off feature? "Go and read through 20 pages of comments to find out" is not an answer, for reasons I've already pointed out. So just tell us and maybe we can help make features you'll enjoy more in future.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
I never said that.
And that's four.

What is it you actually object to about the Kick Off feature? "Go and read through 20 pages of comments to find out" is not an answer, for reasons I've already pointed out. So just tell us and maybe we can help make features you'll enjoy more in future.
Yes, it is an answer. It may not be to your liking but there it is.

If you really want to know why I've next to no interest in caving in to your demands when the posts are already there for all to see it's largely down to your reputation. More specifically, the fall out from the Metal Slug article you wrote for RG some time ago.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... e-reviewed!

A thread of FIFTY PAGES containing 1233 posts that's one of the biggest train wrecks I've ever witnessed on an internet forum. I've witnessed in that thread how you conduct yourself in these debates and I'm seeing you repeat some of the same behaviour here so I've no desire to engage with you.

Note: I haven't just insulted you with any ad hominem attacks, I just gave you a reason for why I won't be responding to your request. I suspect you may not particularly care for the above response (and I'd certainly agree there were a few idiots in that NeoGeo.com thread provoking you) but I would hope you'll at least respect my right to no longer partake in this Kick Off debate. As I already stated, I've said all I have to say on the matter.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:07 am

Considering the total lack of intelligence displayed by most people in that thread I thought Stuart was quite restrained in his responses.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:43 am

Graham Humphrey wrote:Considering the total lack of intelligence displayed by most people in that thread I thought Stuart was quite restrained in his responses.
Well you can't argue with fanboys. It doesn't matter what the subject is.